820 Posts
Hellephant powered all the way Guey.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Whoah. Hellephant Viper.

That's a nice thought.

Suggestion: the current V10 is just too clunky and non-exotic in its origins to appeal to that market segment.

They need a dedicated engine that has the correct cylinder-bank-angle for that number of cylinders. (720/#of cylinders.) It produces an even-firing and euphonious sound.

Also, a hood that can support two people. I know for a fact they have actually lost sales to Corvettes for ONLY that one very specific reason. If I were to buy a Viper, I would most likely get a custom hood made that could support two, uh, sunbathers.

·
Registered
In The Market
130 Posts
Should be aluminum block hemi. Top trim twin turbo. All the cool kids are going turbo. More efficient, less expensive.

Dodge needs to sell cars and minimize cost. I'd imagine it would have to be designed in conjunction with a Fiat/Alfa/Massarati sports car.

Would be bonkers if they could swing something like a hand-me down F430 chassis with a Hemi and reskin by Dodge.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Can you imagine the grief at GM if a mid-engine Viper came out?

How does one retain the unique Viper charm (if one wants to) with a mid-engine layout?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
114 Posts
Should be aluminum block hemi. Top trim twin turbo. All the cool kids are going turbo. More efficient, less expensive.

Dodge needs to sell cars and minimize cost. I'd imagine it would have to be designed in conjunction with a Fiat/Alfa/Massarati sports car.

Would be bonkers if they could swing something like a hand-me down F430 chassis with a Hemi and reskin by Dodge.

I like how you think but that looks too much like it's copying off the C8.

Can you imagine the grief at GM if a mid-engine Viper came out?

How does one retain the unique Viper charm (if one wants to) with a mid-engine layout?
They'd have even more grief if the New Viper could outrun the C8 with the engine in front! That would be quite a feat!

I'd think that they'd not want to retain the Viper charm because that charm stopped working. If it worked, they'd have sold more cars. Is the Viper Special? Heck Yeah and it was Quick/Fast too, but in order to keep making cars, they have to sell them. No company is in business to lose money and if they are, they won't be in business for long.

In order to stay relevant, you have to change with the times and Dodge has proven to be able to do that with all of the flavors of Challengers and Chargers that they have available. They're also smart because they've been making changes that don't require Huge outputs of money on the Challengers and Chargers (things like retooling and R&D costs and stuff like that). Making a New, redesigned Viper would cost quite a bit of money to do and I don't know if the FCA accountants would be game to take a chance like that.

That's just the ramblings of a Madman though (I'd be the Madman :))!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
611 Posts
Blown V12 Hemi Up Front.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
114 Posts
Blown V12 Hemi Up Front.
I'd bet that's not going to happen! The cost to build that would put the cost of the car out of Mere Mortals price range!

If Dodge is listening, they need to build a forged, twin turbocharged Hemi with an automatic transmission (or DCT) that handles well. It doesn't have to be a mid engine type of layout, but to move the motor back a little couldn't hurt. I believe that the key is to offer it with your choice of transmissions because as much as people claim to be manual purist's, they'll come around once they've driven a turbo car with a good automatic/DCT setup. Even better yet, offer it with both transmissions. You give people a choice and you'll sell more cars and that's what it's all about!

Here's why I say that an Automatic would be good if using a turbo motor: The stick cars usually put down more power on a dyno (You don't drive a dyno. They are a tuning tool and a bench racer's best buddy when it comes to bragging rights), but in a real world situation, a similarly powered turbo with a properly set up automatic will 9 times out often beat the same car with a stick even if the stick car dynoed a bit higher (by a bit, I don't mean 100 horses, I mean 30-40 hp more). The automatic will lose less/no boost changing gears and you don't leave the powerband. Unless you have a NLS (No Lift Shift) setup or an Expensive sequential gearbox, you will more than likely bleed off some boost and have to get back into the powerband. The automatic is also easier on parts too.

Just my thoughts.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts