SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Left Shark
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much does a new ECU/PCM cost and where is the best place to get one? So I can have one opened up for a tune and still have a stock one for a trip to the dealer.

·
Left Shark
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I gotta keep mine, so I have one to put in when I take it back to the dealer for service. So $625 it is. Thanks.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,898 Posts
They are still going to be able to tell that you have swapped ECU's. So unless you're on great terms with them at your dealership you are probably going to get popped.

·
Left Shark
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are still going to be able to tell that you have swapped ECU's. So unless you're on great terms with them at your dealership you are probably going to get popped.
How will they tell? If I keep the OEM one that came in the car and put it in before taking to the dealer for service?

·
BMF
4,995 Posts
FCA reads this forum has sophisticated software that tracks your IP address for your name vin# and location.

·
Left Shark
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol. I make my living with IT. You think I'm not in 'incognito' mode? I'm off the grid...even when I'm on it...haha.

·
BritishCat
Challenger SRT Hellcat
942 Posts
How will they tell? If I keep the OEM one that came in the car and put it in before taking to the dealer for service?
Mileage of your car is tracked not only on the dashboard computers but also the PCM. They won't match when you put your stocker back in. I'm sure it also tracks every time you fire the car up, go WOT and more.....you're in IT, you should know, everything's traceable.

·
Left Shark
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's Ok, I got a local dealer that is a 'good ol boy'. lol

But I still don't think there is anything in these cars that has memory without power outside of the ECU (the only flash memory device). It's a Dodge, not a fighter jet/submarine. Everything else wakes up in a new world every day (every time it has power), just like a goose.

Charleston, nice place. I was in Sumter for a few years. Love Myrtle and cruising in Lake City.

·
Thread Killer
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,034 Posts
But I still don't think there is anything in these cars that has memory without power outside of the ECU (the only flash memory device). It's a Dodge, not a fighter jet/submarine. Everything else wakes up in a new world every day (every time it has power), just like a goose.
You go right ahead and keep thinking that.

·
Left Shark
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So there's no way to get around it without getting stuffed on the warranty? Why are others buying additional ECU's then?

·
BritishCat
Challenger SRT Hellcat
942 Posts
So there's no way to get around it without getting stuffed on the warranty? Why are others buying additional ECU's then?
Like you, I have an SRT tech who says 'I see nothing', he claims its up to the tech to bring the issues up to the service manager/FCA. But if the issue is big enough (whole motor replacement) it wouldnt surprise me if FCA did some serious homework, including flying someone out to inspect the damage.

People are buying new PCMs to get the car tuned to increase the power (it's the only option) they're not buying a 2nd PCM to keep a stock one to intentionally defraud FCA if a failure is caused.

The likelihood of issues is low in my opinion. For some it's worth the risk, others it's not. You gave to pay to pay, as they say.

·
Left Shark
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol, have you been drinkin'? Your fingers are failing a breathalyzer...lol. But I know what you're saying. Of course I expect lots of attention if I grenaded a motor, but I'm just talking about a tune, E85, pulleys, headers, DS, injectors, no cats, no resonators, slicks, etc. None of which I expect a blown motor if the tune is right. Would just like to keep my warranty for the regular stuff when needed.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,898 Posts
Many are willing to roll the dice for more power!

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,898 Posts
You go right ahead and keep thinking that.
fnkychkn be honest. If we bring our car in and we have swapped ECU's will you be able to tell right away? Or is this something that they need to be looking for to find?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
66 Posts
From everything I understand the dealership has no way to tell if u have a tune. They would have to ship the ecm to Detroit for the big tech guys to figure that out. You can be buddies with your dealership all you want but if fca wants your ecm to check it then your dealership has to send it. They aren't gonna risk anything for any one person. Just my thoughts.

·
Thread Killer
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,034 Posts
fnkychkn be honest. If we bring our car in and we have swapped ECU's will you be able to tell right away? Or is this something that they need to be looking for to find?
for a swapped PCM, only if I look for it but then it's pretty obvious. a tuned PCM is a little harder but still detectable.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,898 Posts
for a swapped PCM, only if I look for it but then it's pretty obvious. a tuned PCM is a little harder but still detectable.
Thanks for honesty. Guess most of these guys will probably get away with it as long as nothing big happens to the cat.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
317 Posts
FCA reads this forum has sophisticated software that tracks your IP address for your name vin# and location.

WT
Yet they can't create software that hackers can't crack and take over control of your car........go figure...:confused:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts