SRT Hellcat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
An update if anyone is interested:

Dodge Cares gave me a case number and is supposed to call me tomorrow with an update.

Meanwhile, my local dealership called and told me the belt and belt tensioner are back ordered with an ETA of July 5th. So sick of hearing Covid as an excuse for everything - such bs.

So, I get to use my $78,000 car for two days and then it goes into the shop for a month - what a great deal.

I’ve communicated with 4 Dodge representatives. 3 of the 4 haven’t been apologetic or really seem to care. The GM of the dealership I purchased from seems to be on the only one who is going to make an effort to rectify this situation quickly.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Check your state but more than 30 is lemon law. If so remind them of that. Of course you don't want to do that but I promise they want that less.

Dodge cares. Is this not the accessory drive tensioner? MOPAR 4861660AA. In stock at rock auto if so you should be calling the GM of that dealership to have it next day shipped for this guy. Just saying.... A month is ridiculous.

·
Registered
522 Posts
More I think of it the more it pisses me off for the OP. You don't treat your flag ship car owners like this because chances are its not their only Dodge or will be. Those are the people that help you market your brand.

For instance when I open my garage I see a hellcat, viper, durango rt and a jeep Rubicon all in the FCA family. Treatment like this makes people like me want to give the finger to Stelantis. Make it right fast!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
809 Posts
Eh, in my experience, service departments treat flagship owners worse... across multiple brands, not just Dodge. The service techs are all salt of the Earth, blue collar types. When they see (what they think) is mister or miss richy-rich in their richy-rich car... they don't give honesty in return. I've had them try and charge me for 9 quarts of oil, filters they didn't replace. I've had them try and tack on additional unneeded repairs. Example: I had a front rotor "dragging." It was a new OEM rotor but the caliper wasn't fully releasing, thus glazing the pad and making the brakes scream. The pads and rotors had maybe 50 miles on them. They insisted that I had to replace both calipers and both rotors along with a new set of pads. The calipers were the OEM warrantied parts but the rotors and pads are wear items. So, they tried to ding me for a $1,500 repair bill on top of the "free" repair that was causing all the problem. They replaced the calipers and I scuffed the pads... problem solved.

They do this because they assume that people with nice cars are often not car people and many of us might be car dumb enough to go, "Oooooh. OK. Here, take some money and I'll be pick it up when I return from Maaaartha's Vineyard."

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Check your state but more than 30 is lemon law. If so remind them of that. Of course you don't want to do that but I promise they want that less.

Dodge cares. Is this not the accessory drive tensioner? MOPAR 4861660AA. In stock at rock auto if so you should be calling the GM of that dealership to have it next day shipped for this guy. Just saying.... A month is ridiculous.
This is the part number: 68222744ae

I can’t find anyone that even lists the part unless they are directly related to Mopar.
It appears it won’t be available until early July. I’m going to keep trying though!

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
557 Posts

I can’t find anyone that even lists the part unless they are directly related to Mopar.
It appears it won’t be available until early July. I’m going to keep trying though!
Call Steve White to see if they have it in stock. I've had nothing but great experience with them when ordering parts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

·
Registered
522 Posts

That is the supercharger belt tensioner and from what it looked like you shredded the accessory drive belt. Those are two completely different belts so I'm a bit confused on how a bad SC tensioner would allow an accessory belt to shred.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
895 Posts
In WI, one freak incident like this would not be applicable to the lemon law. It has to be multiple attempts to fix one thing; at a minimum,.

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,739 Posts
In WI, one freak incident like this would not be applicable to the lemon law. It has to be multiple attempts to fix one thing; at a minimum,.
Same here in MA. Cars break. They get fixed. Sometimes parts arent available for a while. Everyone is so willing to jump off the ship that isnt sinking just because the water is a little choppy. Frustrating? Hell yes. Lemon? Not so much.

·
Registered
522 Posts
That's incorrect. Wisconsin DMV Official Government Site - Lemon Law

Dealer has 4 attempts or 30 days of non-use to fix the car. It's different by state but most have a time of use clause as well.

Same here in MA. Cars break. They get fixed. Sometimes parts arent available for a while. Everyone is so willing to jump off the ship that isnt sinking just because the water is a little choppy. Frustrating? Hell yes. Lemon? Not so much.
Also not correct. In MA it's 3 attempts OR 15 business days. Guide to New Car Lemon Law

I know ya'll think I'm being dumb but that law is there to protect owners from situations to where dealerships just take forever to fix a car. You should also know, as I specifically said this (you know this part "Of course you don't want to do that but I promise they want that less. ") so I can't even fathom why the confusion, but I said to bring it up but that you probably wouldn't want to action on that. You bring it up as then the dealership knows you aren't a pushover and gives them more incentive to fix the car as lemoning the car will cost them more in the long run.

Also, if you leased the car, be sure to make sure they pay that months lease payment and not you. That's another piece of protection that most people don't consider.

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,739 Posts
That's incorrect. Wisconsin DMV Official Government Site - Lemon Law

Dealer has 4 attempts or 30 days of non-use to fix the car. It's different by state but most have a time of use clause as well.

Also not correct. In MA it's 3 attempts OR 15 business days. Guide to New Car Lemon Law
I didnt address attempts because in OP's case it hasnt exceeded three yet. "And also by "doesnt make it lemon" I meant it wasnt a POS that needs to be returned under the lemon law. I should have added ''to me'' afterwards. Under MA law (which I wasnt defining) it would qualify but I personally would not think of it as a lemon. I stand by my post. People all want to geek out on technicalities and look for ways to bail off of a ship that is not sinking. Cars break. They get fixed. People look for ways out at the first bump in the road.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
895 Posts
Ok, this is day 4. That's why I said "at a minimum, multiple attempts". In another 26 days, let see what the update is.

• The vehicle was unable to be operated (“out of service”) for 30 days or more due to defects
Think a court will think a broken fan belt is a defect?????????

·
Registered
522 Posts
Ok, this is day 4. That's why I said "at a minimum, multiple attempts". In another 26 days, let see what the update is.

• The vehicle was unable to be operated (“out of service”) for 30 days or more due to defects
Think a court will think a broken fan belt is a defect?????????
100% they would as it also spins other critical functions like the alternator. Without an accessory belt your car is essentially a very big paper weight.

I didnt address attempts because in OP's case it hasnt exceeded three yet. "And also by "doesnt make it lemon" I meant it wasnt a POS that needs to be returned under the lemon law. I should have added ''to me'' afterwards. Under MA law (which I wasnt defining) it would qualify but I personally would not think of it as a lemon. I stand by my post. People all want to geek out on technicalities and look for ways to bail off of a ship that is not sinking. Cars break. They get fixed. People look for ways out at the first bump in the road.
Again, nobody is suggesting he bailes on the car. Read the suggestion again. You bring stuff up like this to put more time sensitivity concerns on the dealership and to also make it clear you aren't the type they can push over. This dealer obviously isn't fighting to help the OP as that was clear with the initial time frame to even be willing to look at the car.

Where's Dodge Cares now though? I find it extremely hard to believe a belt tensioner can't be sourced before a month passes even if back ordered. Tell me again how many cars are waiting for chips? Take one off one of those cars if you have to. But I'm betting there are a ton of them sitting at the plant as I promise you once a chip batch arrives they aren't going to be waiting on belt tensioners to start the build process again. If so, someone high up needs to be fired!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I should add. I'm not trying to be an argumentative ass here. Just trying to give OP some advice on how to pressure a service department that might not be all to worried about helping him get his car back ASAP.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks Frosty, I appreciate your comments and I was following your line of thinking from the start.

I always wanted a hellcat from when it first came out and I never thought I’d be able to own one. But, I focused on saving with that goal in mind. I didn’t want to go into debt in order to get one so you can imagine my disappointment after forking over all that cash to be in this situation. I LOVE this car - the looks, the sound, the way it rides - it’s amazing.

I understand that things happen and things break but it’s the reaction, or lack there of, from Dodge.

No sense of urgency, no real apologies, just shrugging their shoulders, there’s nothing we can do.

Dodge Cares did reach out to me but they haven’t done a thing. They passed me along to customer service who is essentially useless. I spoke to them twice but now they don’t return my calls or email.

They offered to reimburse me for a rental car but didn’t put parameters around it and when I sent them a screen shot of a car to get them to commit to paying for it I received no response. I’m certainly not going lay out all that money for a month long rental and then what? Trust them to pay me back? That’s crazy.

Sorry for the long winded rant but that’s the story so far.
I appreciate all of you looking out for me and trying to help me.

·
Registered
522 Posts
They should have given you a rental when you dropped the car off. I'd start escalating to the service and sales manager and then the GM if you still can't at least get a decent rental.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger HC 6M
212 Posts
Not sure of your personal insurance situation, but they may have a free rental program if your car is in the shop.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Super Stock
77 Posts
Mine is sitting in Brampton and I don’t expect to see it before July 5th. Tell them to take mine, you just have to buy me a beer 🍺 You at least have the rest of your car, you should get to enjoy it. All kidding aside that is actually a good idea....but I know it would never happen.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts