SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just picked up a 2021 Hellcat Redeye Widebody on Friday. Got it home and in the sun noticed what looks to be a couple of scratches on the hood. Please see the picture. Sorry for the picture quality, so hard to get a good angle of the scratches. Went to the dealership this morning and they were helpful, but said their body shop would have to look at it on Monday. I read some post on dealerships trying to repaint the hood and it never turns out good. First, is there anyway to remove the scratches. They are very light, but I don’t want my new car that I paid a pretty penny for to already have scratches on the hood. Thought? The car sat in the showroom for about a month or so and I watched some young guys clean it before I got it. I’m sure they had no idea how to even clean a mat hood. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
769 Posts
Mine had a scratch at the dealership that they then buffed out. Unfortunately the buffing then ruined the matte. After a variety of issues it ended up having to be repainted and it looked just as good as new! After about 60 days I had it wrapped in a stealth film and it has looked great and I’m nearly at two years. At first I was very upset but in the end it came out very nice. I will add that it was not repainted by the dealer and instead by an independent auto paint company.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
708 Posts
The satin hood, is not a matte finish, first-off. It's actually more of a pain in the ass to maintain than a matte hood. I could give you tips on how to repair it... but I'll be honest, you need to be a proper paint and body tech. If you use something like a scratch off cream, it will ruin the finish. You have to apply a rubbing compound to the area, buff it til the scratch is gone, then go over it with steel wool lightly until it matches the rest of the hood. There is a VERY high likelihood that, if you're not experienced with this, you'll just end up making it a whole lot worse.

I'm pretty good with P&B, but I wouldn't try it on my own car. I'd send it to a shop and let them fiddle with it. If you decide to go that route, you could try some NuFinish Scratch Doctor on it to see if it works, but if it doesn't, then you just go ahead and go on over to the body shop.

The best thing to have done would have been to notice that before buying the car and add it to the WE OWE form to have the dealership fix it, but it's likely too late for that now. You could try and see if they could try and fix it, but if they have any sense, they won't want to touch it because satin finishes are a nightmare to match up.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
103 Posts
Let the dealer take care of it. I personally would refrain from doing anything to it until the dealer looks at it. Did the dealer ask for you too look over the car before you signed off on it? If he did and it was dark you might have an out there. But its also a good thing you let them know right away about the damage. Keep us posted. Im curious to see what the dealer does.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The satin hood, is not a matte finish, first-off. It's actually more of a pain in the ass to maintain than a matte hood. I could give you tips on how to repair it... but I'll be honest, you need to be a proper paint and body tech. If you use something like a scratch off cream, it will ruin the finish. You have to apply a rubbing compound to the area, buff it til the scratch is gone, then go over it with steel wool lightly until it matches the rest of the hood. There is a VERY high likelihood that, if you're not experienced with this, you'll just end up making it a whole lot worse.

I'm pretty good with P&B, but I wouldn't try it on my own car. I'd send it to a shop and let them fiddle with it. If you decide to go that route, you could try some NuFinish Scratch Doctor on it to see if it works, but if it doesn't, then you just go ahead and go on over to the body shop.

The best thing to have done would have been to notice that before buying the car and add it to the WE OWE form to have the dealership fix it, but it's likely too late for that now. You could try and see if they could try and fix it, but if they have any sense, they won't want to touch it because satin finishes are a nightmare to match up.
I agree here, satin hood is a PITA to keep up with, don’t even look at it wrong or you’ll make a mark in it. I should have had mine wrapped when new. LOVE the look but not the hassle, I kind of like dual carbon stripes better and their MUCH less hassle to take care of.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,519 Posts
I agree here, satin hood is a PITA to keep up with, don’t even look at it wrong or you’ll make a mark in it. I should have had mine wrapped when new. LOVE the look but not the hassle, I kind of like dual carbon stripes better and their MUCH less hassle to take care of.
This is why I wont pay the ridiculous money for it as an ordered option. Wrap is cheaper and removable, although I cant bring myself to even do that lol.

Reactions: moparjim

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody Indigo Blue with Graphics Package
1,239 Posts
You can't repair a satin without a respray. Once it's painted have it wrapped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone. Like I mentioned, the dealership is going to have their body shop look at it on Monday. I sent the sales guys a text message when I got home after purchasing it. If they attempt to f with me, which I don’t think they will, I would bring them to court. It’s very difficult to see the scratches inside, which is where the car sat. I looked it over pretty well, but didn’t see it till it was outside. I will take the advice of many and get it wrapped if they fix it correctly. Don’t want to start a big debate, but would xpel or 3m wrap work better on the satin hood? Thanks again for the feedback.

·
Administrator
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,280 Posts
I had a shit show with the dealer over a scratch in the door. When the car showed up there was some light scratches in the hood.
If I was paying anything near full price I would have walked.
I had the hood wrapped with expell stealth and the scratches disappeared. I had a couple of rock chips that I touched up with a Sharpie. If I looked hard I could see them. Over time they are invisible.
Now I don't have to worry about light scratches any more.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
769 Posts
Thanks for the responses everyone. Like I mentioned, the dealership is going to have their body shop look at it on Monday. I sent the sales guys a text message when I got home after purchasing it. If they attempt to f with me, which I don’t think they will, I would bring them to court. It’s very difficult to see the scratches inside, which is where the car sat. I looked it over pretty well, but didn’t see it till it was outside. I will take the advice of many and get it wrapped if they fix it correctly. Don’t want to start a big debate, but would xpel or 3m wrap work better on the satin hood? Thanks again for the feedback.
Xpel Stealth is what I used and it was recommended by a couple of local shops on matte/satin paint.

Reactions: moparjim

·
Registered
297 Posts
Don't let the dealer screw with it, they'll probably make it worse. Have an Xpel-approved shop do paint correction and get it wrapped with Xpel Stealth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts