SRT Hellcat Forum banner

New Member today and literally about ready to pull the trigger-Could use some insight from SRT Charger Widebody owners

3K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Houston713 
#1 ·
Hello from a huge "Car guy". A little bit of background. My current car is a 2017 Chevy SS. My previous two cars were Cadillac CTS-V coupes. Yes I like a spiffy powerful ride and have been giving a lot of thought to a Charger SRT Hellcat Widebody. I have actually found one with the exact option/color package I want and it's a brand new 2020 with less than 10 miles on it.

I would like to hear from current owners of this particular car. What do you like about it? How does it handle given the upgraded suspension? What (if any) complaints do you have about the car?.

I'm close to making a deal....I'd really be interested in your feedback.

Many thanks

#2 ·
Welcome! Challenger WB guy here. I'm sure some Charger guys will stop by soon.

Have driven both the SS and the CTS-V I think you'll REALLY like the Charger WB. Cornering is better, braking is excellent, and ride can be softer or harder depending on how you choose the suspension settings.

#3 ·
There isn't going to be a long list of complaints. Owners love these things. They do pretty much everything well with crazy power. Pull the trigger and dont worry. You’ll be back here telling us how you cant believe you were worried.

#5 ·
You'll be happy, I promise! I went from a 2019 Camaro SS 1LE to a 2020 Charger Scat WB and now to a 2020 Charger Hellcat. I loved the 1LE, never had anything that gave me that level of confidence in a corner. While the scat pack is a beast, it left me wanting more.
I've only made it to 200 miles because of the snow.. so still in the break in period. That whine though, absolutely intoxicating!
New member here too btw.
Can't wait for mile 501..

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Scat on the right that got traded.

#6 ·
I really appreciate the feedback. Just exactly what happens at mile 501? I have read references to some change taking place at that milestone. Can someone enlighten me please? Is the ECM programmed to fully engage after 500 miles or what exactly?

Appreciate it.

#7 ·
Nothing happens at 501 except your line lock will then function. He was prob talking about going easy on it for the first 500 miles for the drive train break in period. Engines are broken in at the factory btw.

#8 ·
Widebody Charger guy here. I've thoroughly enjoyed the first 1500 miles on mine. I'm stationed in England currently, tight roads and shit conditions and it's doing damn well. The adjustable suspension works wonders on the crap back roads.

Cornering is fairly tight, it's still a big vehicle so it isn't exceptional, but I do find that the electronic steering has been a nice upgrade. I leased a 2018 392 Daytona Charger previously and this is leaps and bounds better.

The extra meat under the flares is great too!

Downsides, these rims definitely like to catch rocks, my front passenger rim was chipped prior to the 500 mile mark. Also, even with rock guards the flares like to catch rocks. I installed 100% on the car when new thankfully, but I can see plenty of nicks on the PPF on the front side of the rear flares.

I'd pull the trigger personally, I love this car even with those small downsides.

#10 ·
Good Morning,
I hope you guys down in Texas are doing better if you have been caught in the snowstorm
Take Care,
Keep your Hellcat safe and try to stay warm!

Linda :)

#12 ·
I only have 1,700 miles on my 2020 Charger WB, but so far I'm very happy with it. Widebody is the gamechanger these Hellcats needed in my opinion. So much better traction and grip stock compared to the older NB versions. Suspension set in comfort mode is tighter and more composed than even my modified Track Package Mustang. Then the low-end torque.......(y)

#13 ·
I really appreciate all of the feedback. We fared better than others, but it's been a rough ride. I certainly don't wish to re-live it. I hope you don't mind me asking this, but I'd like your collective thoughts price wise on a 2020 Charger SRT WB with the following options.

1. Carbon Suede Interior package - $1595
2. Navigation and Travel group - $995
3. Harmon Kardon audio upgrade - $1995
4. Sunroof - $1995
5. 3 Season Tires - $695
6. Warp Speed Granite Wheels - $1295

I can buy this particular car for $70,000.

Any feedback would be welcomed.

#14 ·
I think that's a fair price after the power bucks. I looked from Houston to Kansas City, the only dealers I found coming off mrsp other than rebates also had dealer adds.. premium tint, platinum protection program and crap like that.
I'm sure others got much better deals but I drove off happy and that's what matters. Is that in Houston?
Thank you Linda, we still have to boil our water but at least it's back on!

#15 ·
Very fair price. If you like the color and options I dont think you’ll do much better tbh

#16 ·
I , like you, went from this (2017)

To this (2020)

The SS was cammed, Kooks stainless headers and 3" duals, CAI, catch can, Yank 2800 stall speed , MSD ignition & wires, and a few other goodies. The LS is a great platform.

Would never go back. Zero regret. The only drawback - these SRT's are @$$hole lure! Brings 'em out of the woodwork. (or maybe it's just me ?) I have yet to modify but I have put more miles on my Charger in less than one year than I did in three years driving the SS. Big power, big fun. Treat it right from 1 to 500 miles. Hammer it from then on! Enjoy.

#18 ·
I have a 2017 OBM with 2015 Alcoa forged wheels. I like them a lot better than the cast OEM wheels. I have to say that it's been a difficult decision to make this move. I still love driving the SS. Having said that, I am excited at the prospect of driving this car.

We done a bit of haggling and I think I've done quite well deal wise. I've paid my deposit. Now I just need to wait until the roads are clear as the car is just over 1,000 miles away. I don't mind though. My wife and I will take a leisurely trip through the American Heartland in the SS and back in the SRT. I'll install the rock guards before I drive it off the lot.

I'm seriously thinking of masking the front of the car for the ride back until I can get the Xpel treatment applied. I know....it sounds a tad anal, but if you saw my SS, you'd understand. I haven't even removed the protective covers off the door sills :)

#19 ·
I have a 2017 OBM with 2015 Alcoa forged wheels. I like them a lot better than the cast OEM wheels. I have to say that it's been a difficult decision to make this move. I still love driving the SS. Having said that, I am excited at the prospect of driving this car.

We done a bit of haggling and I think I've done quite well deal wise. I've paid my deposit. Now I just need to wait until the roads are clear as the car is just over 1,000 miles away. I don't mind though. My wife and I will take a leisurely trip through the American Heartland in the SS and back in the SRT. I'll install the rock guards before I drive it off the lot.

I'm seriously thinking of masking the front of the car for the ride back until I can get the Xpel treatment applied. I know....it sounds a tad anal, but if you saw my SS, you'd understand. I haven't even removed the protective covers off the door sills :)
Best of luck Houston. I enjoyed my SS too. But, again, they are two totally different cars and in my opinion the SS doesn't hold a candle to the Charger SRT. Be safe and enjoy the drive home. I'm coming up on one year (3/9/20) and will never forget the slow drive home through the backroads of VA, MD and the hills, valleys, and twisties of WVA! All the best!

#21 ·
Well I've done it. I laid down the deposit today and have decided to drive my car to the dealer and ship my new car back in an enclosed trailer and fly back on a plane. I just feel better about that than driving it 1,000 miles home through who knows what kind of weather and then the roads...rocks etc.

....excited:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.