SRT Hellcat Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
I won't be putting a catch can in mine. But interestingly, on the GT500 with either of the Carbon Fiber Packages they include a Catch Can. However, it is not installed. See text copied from their build & price for the Carbon Fiber Track Package.

Available on Shelby® GT500®.

Includes:
• 20" Exposed Carbon Fiber Wheel
• Adjustable Strut Top Mounts (installed at plant)
• Catch Can (placed in vehicle for installation post-sale)
• Exposed Carbon Fiber Instrument Panel
• Michelin Pilot cub sport 2 Tires - 305/30R20 (F), 315/30R20 (R)
• Rear Seat Delete
• RECARO® Leather-Trimmed Seats with Miko® Suede*
• Splitter Wickers
• Wheel Locking Kit

So they sell it as part of an option package, but it has to be installed post sale. Not dealer installed at time of sale; post sale. Does it come with a warning label saying "Installing this part gives us the right to jerk you around if you make a warranty claim!" ??? I'm so confused. It's like here's a big red button, don't push it.

Reactions: Andy2112

·
Registered
7 Posts
So they sell it as part of an option package, but it has to be installed post sale. Not dealer installed at time of sale; post sale. Does it come with a warning label saying "Installing this part gives us the right to jerk you around if you make a warranty claim!" ??? I'm so confused. It's like here's a big red button, don't push it.
Maybe they do this to get around California regulations? I looked into catch cans for my Scat until I found that nobody will even sell one out here. (Having it shipped to my folks' place out of state and bringing it over to install seems like a great way to cause myself lots of headaches later on. I struggle to imagine the extra 0.7% of oil that would be caught by the can over the life of the engine will be a bigger issue than any other things that can crop up over 200k+ miles.)

As for OP, congrats on the new ride! Great color choice, always nice to have something that calls back to your old wheels.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,983 Posts
I would definitely get a passenger side catch can, I get a cap full collected every oil change. The drivers side is worthless, never got a drop in it.

Reactions: That Guy

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat
35 Posts
I would definitely get a passenger side catch can, I get a cap full collected every oil change. The drivers side is worthless, never got a drop in it.
I was about to do the driver side as well, but was told unless you are pushing more boost than stock, it is not needed. My passenger side definitely does catch oil as well.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,983 Posts
I am pushing boost and nothing in the drivers side ever

·
Registered
249 Posts
Catch cans are worthless Mods, name one car company that installs them, recommends installing them, or make and OEM can. That's globally, not just Dodge.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Catch cans are worthless Mods, name one car company that installs them, recommends installing them, or make and OEM can. That's globally, not just Dodge.
That's already been done TWICE already in this thread. Post 13 and 21. To reiterate.... Some BMW cars come with that same basic feature with a drain back to the oil pan vs a storage unit (still same purpose and function) and apparently the GT500 comes with them now as factory equipment in a package. There are several more too but you asked for one and there are two (so doubled the requirement already).

Good read on why they aren't more common on cars. I know it's more marketing based but explain s the "why" well IMHO.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm curious though. Those that are so passionate about how worthless they are, is your argument that having an oil film on your intercooler blocks makes them function better at dissipating heat?

Are you also saying oil residue on the IAT sensors is a good thing?

Are you also saying that oil blow by does not create more carbon deposits on valves than an engine that vents to atmosphere or separates the oil from entering the intake?

Do they create more power? Nope...

Do they keep parts cleaner that function better when clean? Yes.

·
Premium Member
2015 Challenger Hellcat
68 Posts
I wouldn't say I am passionate about them being worthless but I don't see the value. With all the engineering that goes into these high end cars I would have thought the OEM would put them on if they needed to be there. If they really prevent so many bad things from happening it would be a very cheap and easy addition that would make the cars even less prone to warranty claims.
Besides.....if the OEM had installed them some whizz bang marketing company would be selling catch can removal kits :ROFLMAO::unsure::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
522 Posts
IMHO the main reason why OEM don't put them on cars that could benefit from them (FI cars) is due to the calculated risk of the average Joe not emptying them for which a full can is no longer a functioning PCV system which is a pretty bad thing. It would require a drain back system (like BMW developed) to be safe for the general population.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts