SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Torque steer typically happens with FWD vehicles since the power is being applied to the front wheels which can have a direct affect on the the steering, in RWD vehicles this is not typically the case of what most people call torque steer. If your car isn't launching straight, its most likely either misaligned or the tires are causing it. Its possible the diff could cause it but I'm less inclined to believe that's the issue.

Is the car spinning while its happening?
Yes

·
Premium Member
2021 Redeye Super Stock
711 Posts
Get a good set of drag radials and learn to modulate/feather the throttle a bit and you will be fine. Yeah track mode allows spin, but controls sideways action better than sport. If you can SAFELY find an empty lot or track, turn traction control completely off and learn how the car responds without any nanny action. Then go to track mode and it will be easier to learn. Let is know if you figure out something else is going on with the car. All of this is assuming there is not something loose or out of alignment. But that should be more noticeable I would think.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
1,118 Posts
Better tires will help, but driving a big power car takes time to learn how to use the foot. At no point in time, regardless of the tire or the tire size will you ever be able to pull a VTEC Honda move and be able to just slap the gas to the floor as hard as you can and have the car shoot off into the distance. You need a GT-R or a McLaren for such things.

One last thing to remember, the Hellcat's 0-60 advertised times were done on a prepped surface at a racetrack. Street performance will vary depending on time of day, temperature, how much dirt is on the road and how long you've been driving the car that day. A little wagging the tail is normal. On the street, do the best you can to get started clean, and use the big end to chomp up the competition. The goal is to manage 1st, get into 2nd and let 3rd be your kill mode. Get there as cleanly as possible and you're doing well. In most races, you'll be running people down (typically, fairly easily). It's rare to get a hole shot out on something comparable to a Hellcat. Too much torque and our chassis is a proper muscle car style chassis and it's sloppy... it's also kinda what makes the car so damn fun.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I appreciate everyone’s help/advice. Not sure why my post came across as I’m new to owning a hellcat. I owned 17 hellcat charger and for more than 3 years had fun with it and learned to control it. It was great. This post was about my new redeye acting/performing differently. Sorry, if I didn’t make it clear. I almost never had my old cat going sideways in sport mode that much. I wondered if something can be wrong with a car, hence it’s not performing like my other cat. If it’s just a tire issue, I’ll find out when I get m/t ss (old cat had nittos).

·
Registered
‘21 SRT SUPER STOCK
1,303 Posts
Better tires will help, but driving a big power car takes time to learn how to use the foot. At no point in time, regardless of the tire or the tire size will you ever be able to pull a VTEC Honda move and be able to just slap the gas to the floor as hard as you can and have the car shoot off into the distance. You need a GT-R or a McLaren for such things.

One last thing to remember, the Hellcat's 0-60 advertised times were done on a prepped surface at a racetrack. Street performance will vary depending on time of day, temperature, how much dirt is on the road and how long you've been driving the car that day. A little wagging the tail is normal. On the street, do the best you can to get started clean, and use the big end to chomp up the competition. The goal is to manage 1st, get into 2nd and let 3rd be your kill mode. Get there as cleanly as possible and you're doing well. In most races, you'll be running people down (typically, fairly easily). It's rare to get a hole shot out on something comparable to a Hellcat. Too much torque and our chassis is a proper muscle car style chassis and it's sloppy... it's also kinda what makes the car so damn fun.
Well said sir

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
1,118 Posts
I appreciate everyone’s help/advice. Not sure why my post came across as I’m new to owning a hellcat. I owned 17 hellcat charger and for more than 3 years had fun with it and learned to control it. It was great. This post was about my new redeye acting/performing differently. Sorry, if I didn’t make it clear. I almost never had my old cat going sideways in sport mode that much. I wondered if something can be wrong with a car, hence it’s not performing like my other cat. If it’s just a tire issue, I’ll find out when I get m/t ss (old cat had nittos).
It isn't so much that you're new to this, but your car is. All cars are different and the Redeye has a bigger blower and more torque. Similarly, it's kinda like someone saying, "My Scat Pack never did this, so what's wrong with my Hellcat?" The performance step up isn't as extreme from Hellcat to Redeye, but it's still a pretty big torque increase. Honestly, it's why I chose to stick with a Hellcat as the Redeye is more difficult to manage on public streets simply because its increased torque is more difficult to manage. Great for strip use, but the Redeye on the street takes a lot more pedal management.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
1,118 Posts
Also, specifically on the sideways issue... My Hellcat did this regularly until I junked the Pirrellis at 2,000mi. Michelin PS4S and my rear end rarely walks around on me. The factory Pirrellis are an insult to common sensibility. I often wonder if rubber cries when it learns that it's being dropped off at the Pirrelli factory?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
920 Posts
It's like @Xylander said...you need to learn how to accelerate at a rate that keeps it hooked up. If you spin, you loose in more ways then one. Even at highway speeds (70+), too much throttle too quickly can cause the A8 to shift down a couple of gears and break the tires loose and maybe go sideways (Yep, I did that). So, the thrill and skill of driving a HC is learning how to accelerate relative to conditions.

While Traction Control may help a bit, the Rear Brakes are not designed (not big enough) to hold back a full 700+ HP. I also don't use Launch... I'm a 2-footed driver so I bring the RPMs up to about a 1,000 and do the Launch myself with a controlled/learned acceleration rate. I also put the trans in Manual Mode so the A8 doesn't do a surprised downshift.

Also, if you change tires, you can void your Warranty if your vehicle gets towed to the dealer with non-factory tires (other owners here have learned this the hard way). The dealer assumes you are Racing which voids the Warranty.

To make sure the rear axle isn't causing your sideways, find a local Goodyear store with a Tech willing to align the car based on Factory Specs of EXACTLY .10 Degree Toe In each Wheel. Because these HCs have both Front and Rear Cradles, they cannot be aligned after assembly so they need an alignment in the field. You can do a Search on my name with keyword "alignment" on how to do this and how to talk to the tech.

You should also get the wheel balance checked so you don't have the 70 MPH shimmy/shake that may of us experienced when the car was new. Again, do a Search on my name with keyword "balance" to see the exact procedures.

·
Registered
‘21 SRT SUPER STOCK
1,303 Posts
With my ss the factory nittos make it feel like it’s on a monorail track (no slip) same feel as a Tesla...with the PS4s on its back to the “dukes of hazard” style of driving

·
Registered
Durango Hellcat
496 Posts
This is why all the powerful German sedans went AWD years ago and the C8 went mid engine. This is a physics problem and adding power (HC to Redeye) makes it worse.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
You have already been given more plausible causes, but just for investigative reasons, you could swap tires from left to right and right to left. See if there is a difference. I had your problem in another car I had after a tire replacement and it was a tire issue due to a past dated tire having ozone decay or some nonsense. It had plasticized and had a durometer much harder than the other tires, so it slipped a lot more than the others.

My Redeye tracks straight from a stop no matter how much the rear tires spin. I've always found it impressive that it can track so straight. I give credit to the good rear end design and universally crappy, stock (aka low traction) Pirelli tires.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
1,118 Posts
You have already been given more plausible causes, but just for investigative reasons, you could swap tires from left to right and right to left. See if there is a difference. I had your problem in another car I had after a tire replacement and it was a tire issue due to a past dated tire having ozone decay or some nonsense. It had plasticized and had a durometer much harder than the other tires, so it slipped a lot more than the others.

My Redeye tracks straight from a stop no matter how much the rear tires spin. I've always found it impressive that it can track so straight. I give credit to the good rear end design and universally crappy, stock (aka low traction) Pirelli tires.
There may be something to this, and it's worth investigating.

The whole torque steer phenomena is a bit of a complex thing to understand and it presents itself when a set of relatively specific criteria are met. Generally, the car will track straight if you float the tires (burn out) from a standstill. Torque steer will occur if you gain some positive momentum, then light up the tires. The rotational mass of the car, of which the Hellcat has a lot, will cause the car to drift around in a clockwise fashion. This is allowed because the positive energy coupled with the loss of traction effectively causes the car to float on top of the road. The rotational mass imparts rotational (or angular velocity) and causes the car to rotate until enough friction is regained. From a standstill, there is little to no forward momentum and there's more force and friction on the drive wheels, thus preventing a standing donut. This phenomena occurs more often in street traction mode (which is arguably the best for allowing the suspension to squat properly over the rear). The more rigid suspension settings tend to make the rear end more rigid at the expensive of max possible launch grip.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It's like @Xylander said...you need to learn how to accelerate at a rate that keeps it hooked up. If you spin, you loose in more ways then one. Even at highway speeds (70+), too much throttle too quickly can cause the A8 to shift down a couple of gears and break the tires loose and maybe go sideways (Yep, I did that). So, the thrill and skill of driving a HC is learning how to accelerate relative to conditions.

While Traction Control may help a bit, the Rear Brakes are not designed (not big enough) to hold back a full 700+ HP. I also don't use Launch... I'm a 2-footed driver so I bring the RPMs up to about a 1,000 and do the Launch myself with a controlled/learned acceleration rate. I also put the trans in Manual Mode so the A8 doesn't do a surprised downshift.

Also, if you change tires, you can void your Warranty if your vehicle gets towed to the dealer with non-factory tires (other owners here have learned this the hard way). The dealer assumes you are Racing which voids the Warranty.

To make sure the rear axle isn't causing your sideways, find a local Goodyear store with a Tech willing to align the car based on Factory Specs of EXACTLY .10 Degree Toe In each Wheel. Because these HCs have both Front and Rear Cradles, they cannot be aligned after assembly so they need an alignment in the field. You can do a Search on my name with keyword "alignment" on how to do this and how to talk to the tech.

You should also get the wheel balance checked so you don't have the 70 MPH shimmy/shake that may of us experienced when the car was new. Again, do a Search on my name with keyword "balance" to see the exact procedures.
I know this wasn’t the original topic but I noticed from day one a shimmy in the front tires at around 70mph - I couldn’t believe this much money for a new redeye and the car shakes. By your post I assume this was a problem for a lot people right off the lot. Good to know.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
920 Posts
I know this wasn’t the original topic but I noticed from day one a shimmy in the front tires at around 70mph - I couldn’t believe this much money for a new redeye and the car shakes. By your post I assume this was a problem for a lot people right off the lot. Good to know.
Yep, now u know why it's happening & u can follow the correct procedure to fix.

Let us know... 😊

Best!

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Well, here’s my plan. First I’ll try to “launch” (I don’t use that option either) in track and see what it does. If same (not straight) then I’ll swap back tires left to right. If same, then will go check alignment. I don’t mind tires spinning as long as it’s in a straight line. Will let you know, though can only do this stuff on weekends

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
920 Posts
Well, here’s my plan. First I’ll try to “launch” (I don’t use that option either) in track and see what it does. If same (not straight) then I’ll swap back tires left to right. If same, then will go check alignment. I don’t mind tires spinning as long as it’s in a straight line. Will let you know, though can only do this stuff on weekends
As I mentioned above, HCs are not aligned during/after assembly. At the very least, you should have it checked and post the printout. My car severely feathered the tires in only 5K miles; that's severe.

Because the Factory cannot align HCs, Dodge will pay for one free alignment under Warranty. You can confirm with your Svc Mgr.

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Redeye Widebody B5 Blue
24 Posts
...until a hopped up Honda Civic outruns you to 70mph and the owner tells all his friends about how he outran a Redeye, with a video to prove it on Instagram, Facebook and YouTube. Spinning and sliding ain't winning.
Yea that's bull......Someone doesn't know how to drive. Sounds like a jealous Chevy owner lol

21 - 40 of 53 Posts