SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I’ve never seen so many people buy a 100k car then do a hack job on the exhaust like a 70s Chevy. I mean 1-3k will get you a proper catback vs going all out ghetto.
It’s not ghetto at all, it’s being smart with your money. Probably $100 or so to get the sound you want versus spending 2 months of your mortgage money for the same to achieve the same results but with a name brand.
People do what they want to their cars and it’s their business and prerogative.

·
Registered
'23 C8 3LT Convertible Z51
3,685 Posts
Such things are subjective. Any car with a muffler delete, whether it be a Hellcat, Mustang, or a dump truck, sounds like a dump truck. Some people like dump truck sounds, some people don't.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Automotive lighting Household hardware Nickel Cylinder Auto part

I want to try these first:

The Carven Exhaust Carven-R Performance Muffler is offered In the following:
  • 5.00” Out Side Diameter
  • 10.00” Overall Length
  • Satin Polish Finish
  • Tig Welded
  • Proudly Built In House USA Made
ZERO packing or louvers

·
Registered
‘16 A8 Shaker
2,217 Posts
$1-3k will get you a proper catback vs going all out ghetto.
Cat back is ghetto bolt on bull shyt

Retains the cats for starters...

2.75” mids 🥴

And they almost all incorporate a X pipe 🤮

Build what ya like. No one else will : )

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
what kind of a jerk calls other people ghetto?? seek professional help--you need it.
Some people need to be called ghetto. You have to nip that crap in the bud sometimes.

I am not offended if someone does the dump truck mod to a $20,000 car... or a Mustang because that's just what those people do. If your Mustang doesn't sound like a dump truck, Ford people make fun of you. But when you're rolling around in a near 6-figure car with a low budget ghetto mod, eh... it's like how sometimes when you watch the Oscars, there's an A-lister starlet who walks the red carpet in Converse All Stars and overalls. I imagine the looks they get are the same as the looks people give Hellcat owners who do muffler deletes.

It looks like:
Forehead Outerwear Eyebrow Eye Cap

In all seriousness though, removing the mufflers just raises the pitch and makes it louder. Like a screaming kid. Sure, it's loud... but not too many people like it. There are plenty of ways to make the car loud without resorting to the screaming baby or the poorly maintained dump truck sound. That's why it's ghetto. Sound quality is a thing. Just because the car is loud, doesn't mean the sound quality is any good.

And, fun fact. The sound quality in the cabin with a muffler delete in no way represents what it sounds like 50ft behind the car. Higher pitched sounds don't travel as far as lower tones do. When you "get on it" with a muffler delete, people 50-100ft away just hear the high pitched pops and rattles. Inside you still hear more tonal resonance because you're closer to the source. That's why sometimes you hear F-150 pickup trucks with a muffler delete that sounds like someone's hammering inside of a PVC tube if they're a little bit up the road. It's loud as hell, but not for very far and the only thing you hear is the "trash" noise while the guy driving the truck thinks his truck sounds like a beast.

·
Registered
‘16 A8 Shaker
2,217 Posts
The problem with muffler delete is that it creates a 12’ long tail pipe

I gotta have mufflers and TO ME motors always sound best with no tail pipe after the muff

*there is no ghetto in Orange County. Just lots of hotties : )
And a few homeless bless their souls

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
The custom exhausts I've built for myself just use a baffled resonator at the rear with an H-pipe at the mid with some very slight crimping just to give it a gnarly sound. I've done that in 2.75" and 3". Nice deep tone with enough baffling to keep the rasp away.

I think what ticks me off most about folks who do both a muffler and resonator delete is the pop-pop-pop sound of the exhaust as its under acceleration (not to be confused with the pops during gear changes or deceleration). That's just the sound of a poorly tuned exhaust.

·
Registered
‘16 A8 Shaker
2,217 Posts
To me a baffled resonator is a muffler… not a resonator

When I think resonator I think J pipe or what comes stock at the back of our cars. Chambered but straight thru at the same time. No baffles or holes or packing. I guess one could call those mufflers too maybe as they do slightly reduce all frequencies, on top of their intended purpose

·
Registered
2022 GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Pack
1,222 Posts
what kind of a jerk calls other people ghetto?? seek professional help--you need it.
What you did is ghetto but if you want to run around half baked go for it. FYI you did it ass backwards you never cut out the mufflers you cut out the resonators.
Me needing “professional” help would have bought a ca back kit and taken out the whole factory assembly so that if/when I sold the car I could put it back to stock in less than an hour AND sell the aftermarket catback kit.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What you did is ghetto but if you want to run around half baked go for it. FYI you did it ass backwards you never cut out the mufflers you cut out the resonators.
Me needing “professional” help would have bought a ca back kit and taken out the whole factory assembly so that if/when I sold the car I could put it back to stock in less than an hour AND sell the aftermarket catback kit.
be careful who you call "ghetto" online

1 - 20 of 20 Posts