SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Charger Redeye WB
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody Octane Red
1,500 Posts
I think they should have made the neutral release a key lock to help prevent theft to begin with. Considering where it is, and there's a key in the fob, it should've been easy enough to make more secure.

·
Registered
2021 Charger Redeye WB
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think they should have made the neutral release a key lock to help prevent theft to begin with. Considering where it is, and there's a key in the fob, it should've been easy enough to make more secure.
Ive been wondering if that neutral release can be detected electrically or over the canbus. Been putting an idea list together for my own security module and that was one of the things. If there is no signal, i can always resort to monitoring the wheel speed sensors over canbus to see if the car is rolling

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody Octane Red
1,500 Posts
Ive been wondering if that neutral release can be detected electrically or over the canbus. Been putting an idea list together for my own security module and that was one of the things. If there is no signal, i can always resort to monitoring the wheel speed sensors over canbus to see if the car is rolling
The neutral release is just a mechanical device with a cable to the trans to put the car in neutral.

Are you talking about the fob digital signal/code?

·
Registered
2021 Charger Redeye WB
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The neutral release is just a mechanical device with a cable to the trans to put the car in neutral.

Are you talking about the fob digital signal/code?
Nah i mean if the trans has any way of signaling to the rest of the car that that mechanical release has been pulled. Just like a simple signal that says "neutral override" or not. Then use that to trigger the horn.

Simplest thing is to set the parking brake and then just detect if its been released while the car is locked then trigger the alarm.

My goal in the end is to have something that supplements the factory theft alarm without having to add an aftermarket alarm and the subsequent wiring.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
7,142 Posts
Nice to see dodge taking the first step towards making it just a bit more annoying to steal these cars.

"Dodge Upping Security On Chargers And Challengers Following String Of Thefts | Carscoops www.carscoops.com/2021/03/dodge-upping-security-on-chargers-and-challengers-following-string-of-thefts/

Ita kind of like what tesla did with the pin code so its not too much but still better than nothing. I wonder if there will be more options to it than just a pin lock.
So a mandatory Valet Mode?

Enter your PIN in the Uconnect or engine is limited to 675 rpm?

That's what it says. Wow.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Charger Redeye WB
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So a mandatory Valet Mode?

Enter your PIN in the Uconnect or engine is limited to 675 rpm?

That's what it says. Wow.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Hopefully it isn't defeatable like valet mode but just disconnecting the better for a couple of minutes but yeah, basically that...

·
Registered
2019 Charger Hellcat
652 Posts
I don’t think this “update” solves much. How many videos do you see of the cars being put in neutral and pushed with another vehicle or put on a tow truck? This just limits the power once stolen. Don’t see this doing much to stop the thefts
100% doesn't solve much but i guess it's nice to see they are attempting to acknowledge the issue? (after 5 whole years) lol

the easiest and most popular way to steal these cars is by pulling the neutral switch. This update doesn't address/prevent that

Reactions: BloodCat

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,542 Posts
I don’t think this “update” solves much. How many videos do you see of the cars being put in neutral and pushed with another vehicle or put on a tow truck? This just limits the power once stolen. Don’t see this doing much to stop the thefts
Right you are. A Challenger can be lifted up with a tow truck "stinger" and pulled away some distance to then properly secure the car and light it for legal towing in nearly no time. In park, or gear, with the parking brake set makes little difference.

The new security module apparently is aimed at preventing someone from "spoofing" a valid key module's RFID RF signal. This technique accounts for some thefts to be sure.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
959 Posts
I've made my feelings known:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just curious if anyone that objects to entering a four digit code to start their car has a passcode on their phone?

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
845 Posts
I get monthly updates from Dodge telling me my tire pressure, oil life remaining, etc… They know where my car is and what it is doing. What I cannot understand about all this theft stuff is why Dodge is not pinpointing the location of stolen vehicles? Even if gps is disabled, they should be able to track the entire route up to the point of disable. With this time/location data, any competent LE agency should be able to find cameras along the way to ID the tow/push vehicle.

I wonder sometimes if mfr’s like thefts because it helps sell new cars. I worked for a company that made “things” for the military. As a jr engineer I worked on a system to recover a disabled “thing”. One sr engineer said, in reality they probably would just throw a grenade in it and leave it behind, and then we can sell then a new “thing”.

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
845 Posts
And another question, where the Hell(cat) are all these stolen HC's going?!?!?!

Are they going overseas? And are overseas authorized FCA dealers servicing them and putting them into service?

Are they swapping S/N's with totals here in N. America? (This should be easy to detect ya think.)

Are they stripping them for parts? How many cars can utilize the key expensive components? And without detection? And without the intervention of an authorized FCA dealer? Are we buying used parts from stolen HC's?

I have no idea what is going on but everything I have read about this rash of thefts smells. There seems to be a lot of questions that go unaddressed.

·
Registered
2019 Charger Hellcat
652 Posts
And another question, where the Hell(cat) are all these stolen HC's going?!?!?!

Are they going overseas? And are overseas authorized FCA dealers servicing them and putting them into service?

Are they swapping S/N's with totals here in N. America? (This should be easy to detect ya think.)

Are they stripping them for parts? How many cars can utilize the key expensive components? And without detection? And without the intervention of an authorized FCA dealer? Are we buying used parts from stolen HC's?

I have no idea what is going on but everything I have read about this rash of thefts smells. There seems to be a lot of questions that go unaddressed.
The bulk of them turn up stripped. I live in Michigan and see at least 2-3 stolen chargers/challengers a week.

Check out @powerandperformance on IG and scroll down their page. You'd be surprised the condition these cars end up in

Reactions: snobrdrdan

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
606 Posts
The new security module apparently is aimed at preventing someone from "spoofing" a valid key module's RFID RF signal.
This can additionally be used at gas stops if desired to prevent car jacking effectiveness.

Am honestly surprised that folks think one fix will circumvent all efforts to steal a car..... a little time studying defense in depth will help.

You have a house....you lock the door.....twice or more....you have alarm.......you have cameras motion sensors......you have dogs......you have gated communities......you have personal protection tools.

Criminals work full time at their craft......protection events only have to work once each....the math is the deterrent

1 - 18 of 18 Posts