SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, the time has come. I am beyond the legal wear limit for the factory tires and I have just over 14,000 miles on the car.

Since tires don't seem to last long, I am having a set of Falken Ziex STZ05 tires installed next week.

They're cheap as hell and have a 50,000 mile tread life warranty attached to them through Discount Tire.

Anyone have any experience or reviews with them on the Hellcat? I either can't search well or there hasn't been another thread about these tires.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
534 Posts
If you are looking for traction, that's not the right tire. They are SUV tires.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
534 Posts
Also the speed rating is probably "H" which is two speed ratings lower than what you need.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The speed rating of these tires is H (130 mph) - speeds that I will never see on the public highways. I won’t be tracking or racing the car either.

Traction is a debatable thing, but at the end of the day, I do need tires that are going to last longer than 10k-15k miles. I know that there is a trade off between hardness and grip, but for me the handling at speed is more important than off the line grip. As it stands now the factory tires are trashed and have no grip at all; they're all even with the wear bars and I'm pretty sure I am starting to see some wire through the remaining tread in the center.

Yes, the Falken's are made for SUV’s and light trucks, but with the weight of this car I imagine that they’ll do fine for the application.

·
Administrator
Challenger SRT Hellcat
8,525 Posts
Speed rating is 130mph (H) - speeds that I will never see on the public highways. I won’t be tracking the car either.

Traction is a debatable thing - I need tires that are going to last more than 10k-15k miles. I know that there is a trade off between hardness and grip; especially in regard to longevity. As it stands now the tires factory tires are trashed and have no grip at all.

They are made for SUV’s and light trucks, but with the weight of this car I imagine that they’ll do fine.
Keep us updated on your review.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,651 Posts
Conti AWS-06....

All season, better grip, 50k mileage warranty, Y speed rating and 106XL load.

little softer sidewall so there is a little more movement than with the OEM tires

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Those particular Conti's weren't an option at my local Discount Tire; although I did ask about them. The closest Conti that I could have chosen was the Control Contact Sport A/S, however, the price difference was beyond noticeable. The Conti CCS would have been more than twice as expensive as the Falken's. I would have preferred the Conti name and the Y speed rating, but not at that price difference (considering that they're both 106XL load rated). The Hellcat is my daily driver, and I do not track (or race) the car, so the H speed rating is more than sufficient for my purposes. If I am going 130 mph or higher on public roads, I will have more issues to deal with than exceeding manufacturer limits on the tires.

As such, I got the Falken Ziex S/TZ05's installed earlier today. Total out of the door for all four was $609.xx including tax (8.25%), a road hazard warranty, and 50k mile manufacturer warranty attached to them. It is 40* and pouring rain here, so handling performance was (clearly) not tested. What I will say so far, from 20 miles of driving down the highway in pouring ass rain, is that these tires do a great job in the water at speed. I felt firmly planted to the ground, wet braking was great, and they did inspire confidence; hopefully that attribute remains even though I do not see much rain driving in Texas. I did rather enjoy seeing all the water being thrown up behind my car as I was driving; juvenile but amusing.

I can tell a difference in the ride, which was to be expected by going to a harder compound (and SUV tire), but I also believe that the cold temperatures may be exacerbating the perceived harshness (which is not uncomfortable, just noticeable). Once it warms back up in the next week, I imagine that it won't be quite as noticeable, but we will see. If that's just an attribute of the tires, it is something that I will easily get used to.

I am looking forward to things drying up so I can check the dry handling, but I assume that for my purposes they will be more than sufficient.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
667 Posts
just put on 295/40-20's Cont DSW all the way around on my '16 Charger HC. No fitment issues at all. Noticeably more movement side to side. noticeably more traction than the stock summer 275. My tires lasted to the wear indicator just at 14K and while I don't intentionally burn rubber, I do like to full throttle it a bit.

Hopefully I can drive as I have in the past year and see how long these last. I stayed all the way round on stock wheels so I can rotate to help balance out the wear and tear.

·
Registered
2019 Charger Hellcat
609 Posts
just put on 295/40-20's Cont DSW all the way around on my '16 Charger HC. No fitment issues at all. Noticeably more movement side to side. noticeably more traction than the stock summer 275. My tires lasted to the wear indicator just at 14K and while I don't intentionally burn rubber, I do like to full throttle it a bit.

Hopefully I can drive as I have in the past year and see how long these last. I stayed all the way round on stock wheels so I can rotate to help balance out the wear and tear.
I know this thread is super old, but how did the DWS06 do over time? And what do you mean by "more movement"? Thinking of throwing 295/40/20 on my rears

1 - 9 of 9 Posts