SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am new to the forum. I am from Anderson SC, and Just purchased a 2020 red eye widebody, and cant believe how well these cars are built. I have owned 2 others Dodge vehicles ( 2 RAMs) and they never disappointed. The funny story behind my purchase was going to the dealership for an oil change on my Rebel and ended up buying a car in the process, lol. Car related I have always been a Chevy person and last car was a Zo6, true American muscle has been lost in most American sports cars this day and time and so glad Dodge is staying to its roots. I am sure I will have a ton of questions in the future and would appreciate any expertise you guys have and knowledge.

My 1st question is: is there a break in period that needs to be adhered to like the manual states (0-110 miles, 100-330 miles, 300-500 miles), etc?

·
Registered
2020 SRT SUPER STOCK HELLRAISIN
3,574 Posts
Hey guys, I am new to the forum. I am from Anderson SC, and Just purchased a 2020 red eye widebody, and cant believe how well these cars are built. I have owned 2 others Dodge vehicles ( 2 RAMs) and they never disappointed. The funny story behind my purchase was going to the dealership for an oil change on my Rebel and ended up buying a car in the process, lol. Car related I have always been a Chevy person and last car was a Zo6, true American muscle has been lost in most American sports cars this day and time and so glad Dodge is staying to its roots. I am sure I will have a ton of questions in the future and would appreciate any expertise you guys have and knowledge.

My 1st question is: is there a break in period that needs to be adhered to like the manual states (0-110 miles, 100-330 miles, 300-500 miles), etc?
The break in is mainly about bedding in the brake pads gently and the Differential. With new Gears if you jump on the freeway at 75-80 mph right off the bat the Diff oil will overheat and not protect the gears = Noisy gears. Absolute best is 25 miles city and then let the car cool to ambient. Light throttle in the lower gears and do not exceed 55 mph. Or follow the owners manual to the T.
Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s good to know. I wish the dealership would’ve told me all that stuff prior to it but apparently they know very little about these cars. That does make sense, I had put 410 gears in my vet and every so often you would hear it make a little bit of road noise or the chatter so to speak. And I never really broke them in so that’s probably what happened. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
8,602 Posts
Dealers know next to nothing. Weird but true. Your line lock is unavailable for the first 500 miles so dont freak out if you cant get it to work. The dual fuel pumps are really noisy in the RE too. If you stop at a light with no radio on and the windows up you will hear a rhythmic ticking noise on the right side of the car at idle that goes away when you give it any gas. That’s the pumps. First time I heard it I thought there was a problem. Asked here and found out it’s normal. Double tap the SRT button for a shortcut to Custom mode. Lots of fun stuff to learn. Driver side of the windshield at the bottom there’s a little Challenger in the glass. These cars are a blast.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,359 Posts
The funny story behind my purchase was going to the dealership for an oil change on my Rebel and ended up buying a car in the process, lol.
Also funny, sort of. The last time I went to a dealer for an oil change (free), they ended up buying my Golf R and gave me a ride home.
Got within $1K of high blue book and the ride was over 100 miles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealers know next to nothing. Weird but true. Your line lock is unavailable for the first 500 miles so dont freak out if you cant get it to work. The dual fuel pumps are really noisy in the RE too. If you stop at a light with no radio on and the windows up you will hear a rhythmic ticking noise on the right side of the car at idle that goes away when you give it any gas. That’s the pumps. First time I heard it I thought there was a problem. Asked here and found out it’s normal. Double tap the SRT button for a shortcut to Custom mode. Lots of fun stuff to learn. Driver side of the windshield at the bottom there’s a little Challenger in the glass. These cars are a blast.
That makes sense, I’m sure they don’t open it up till after 500 miles to get a break in time frame so you’re not spinning that rear gear up Ha. Also heard launch control doesn’t open up either till after 500 miles. From what I’ve seen online, it can be tricky to use.
Now I’m gonna have to listen for those pumps. I’ve had the radio on ever since I’ve had the car except for when I’m normal driving I just want to hear the wind. I’ve got 307 miles on it right now.
In the custom mode, are there any particular combinations that work better than others on those cars?
thanks for all the great info. It’s def the best money I have ever spent

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also funny, sort of. The last time I went to a dealer for an oil change (free), they ended up buying my Golf R and gave me a ride home.
Got within $1K of high blue book and the ride was over 100 miles.
Ha ha. That is funny. Those are those visits to the dealership I don’t mind at all

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
8,602 Posts
That makes sense, I’m sure they don’t open it up till after 500 miles to get a break in time frame so you’re not spinning that rear gear up Ha. Also heard launch control doesn’t open up either till after 500 miles. From what I’ve seen online, it can be tricky to use.
Now I’m gonna have to listen for those pumps. I’ve had the radio on ever since I’ve had the car except for when I’m normal driving I just want to hear the wind. I’ve got 307 miles on it right now.
In the custom mode, are there any particular combinations that work better than others on those cars?
thanks for all the great info. It’s def the best money I have ever spent
My go-to Custom mode is street suspension and track trans.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
230 Posts

I followed the break-in procedure to the letter on mine. I've had no issues with it (2,000mi now in 4 months of ownership).

·
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,204 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

As you see there are many members with knowledgeable Help!

I finished my break in miles on the drive to Challengerfest in 2015. My husband made an appointment for me to stop on the way at a Dealership in Kentucky.

As I drove into the hotel parking lot my Hellcat Charger created a lot of thrills for many because at that time the HC Charger was rare to see.

Then the next day I drag raced and got in 14 passes running mainly 11.0s.

I can tell you many were so impressed watching my HC go from A to B and now have their own Hellcats.

Do you think you will take your RE to the track?

Congrats and enjoy All the Fassst Fun!

Linda :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I followed the break-in procedure to the letter on mine. I've had no issues with it (2,000mi now in 4 months of ownership).
Yeah , I have been following it to the letter since reading the manual at 127 miles and now at 323. I have WOT yet thank goodness but have played with ( no burnouts) it prior 127. Who reads the manual prior to leaving the dealership and with these cars who can’t not wanna open it up pulling off the lot- lol. But appreciate the info- will def follow it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the forum!

As you see there are many members with knowledgeable Help!

I finished my break in miles on the drive to Challengerfest in 2015. My husband made an appointment for me to stop on the way at a Dealership in Kentucky.

As I drove into the hotel parking lot my Hellcat Charger created a lot of thrills for many because at that time the HC Charger was rare to see.

Then the next day I drag raced and got in 14 passes running mainly 11.0s.

I can tell you many were so impressed watching my HC go from A to B and now have their own Hellcats.

Do you think you will take your RE to the track?

Congrats and enjoy All the Fassst Fun!

That is awesome Linda- these cars are truly special machines. Dodge really knows what they are doing and in my opinion where no other manufacturers did- dodge truly brought back the muscle car era of the past . And low 11s on that machine is quite impressive! Have you done any mods since you have had it?
And yes on the track question. But probably won’t go to a track till my first after my first oil change. Already looking at a set of rear demon wheels and drag radials for it for the near future. After going to a street car takeover event at Atlanta dragway a few weekends ago; I have been salivating like pavlo dog. So many Demons and hellcats !!!

·
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,204 Posts
That is awesome Linda- these cars are truly special machines. Dodge really knows what they are doing and in my opinion where no other manufacturers did- dodge truly brought back the muscle car era of the past . And low 11s on that machine is quite impressive! Have you done any mods since you have had it?
And yes on the track question. But probably won’t go to a track till my first after my first oil change. Already looking at a set of rear demon wheels and drag radials for it for the near future. After going to a street car takeover event at Atlanta dragway a few weekends ago; I have been salivating like pavlo dog. So many Demons and hellcats !!!
I'll tell you a Sunday Morning Story :)
Lol Pavolo Dog ............That's Right! Dodge really built the Hellcats bringing back the Muscle. My husband wanted to be a Lexus, our area and friends had them. I'm No Way John you will drive it for 3 days and hate it because you are a Muscle Guy. He posted that up on here years ago and said I was right. He started out with a 2009 6spped Challenger and after reading on a forum that the speeds were the slower cars and more carnage he said "Lyn how would you like this?" On the computer screen was a 2010 Furious Fuchsia Challenger. I finally agreed. It had taken 6 months to come in. We picked it up and off it went to Mr Norms garage. My husband had it built with an AL 440 Hemi that a 3.6 Kenne Bell Crowned the top.He had everything upgraded for safety and strength for me to run a 10.00 ET. It was absolutely Beautiful and it took me 10 times down the track to run a 10.0! My husband was very proud of me. I never had drag raced before and he had posted that people without any experience could run a 10.0. As My FF got more go fast parts added and Tuning by Tim Barth of Mr Norms garage the Best ET was 9.18 we were shooting to be 1st into the 8's!
For himself John bought his all time favorite Mopar a 2011 V-10 Drag Pak

So while we waited for our Racecars to be built John had been watching the news about the Hellcats. He bought his off of Ebay and sent it out to Tim and a friend of ours Tom Bright drove the break in miles for it. John gave me his spot to order my Hellcat and I chose a Charger. ( I also have another 2010 FF Challenger which John bought me because I never got to Daily drive the other one. Once the warranty was gone around 2013 John sent it to DE to [email protected] Horse Performance for a D 1 Procharger build. I could continue learning to race and daily drive. My daughter Kate bracket races it! She loves the car and she is a very good racer.
Already being a customer of Josh's he asked me if I wanted to have my Hellcat Tuned, I was like No way! My husband asked me too ( really gently Bugged me) With my prior race car it was race, break, and build. I was having fun every time we went racing and no breaking. ( I already had an upgraded DSS AL driveshaft.
Finally I gave the "Fine" answer and my Hellcat Charger was the 1st to be Tuned using the Diablo CMR firm ware. First time down the track my number dropped to a 10.6 I had achieved the Dodge goal of a 10.8. My husband Loved R&D and didn't care about the warranty and had set some goals for himself. So the pioneering began. We went to the track Cecil County Dragway 3Xs a week for months on end with [email protected] for T&T + R&D of parts and Tuning. This is us, Josh in the middle my husband on the right.

John's Goal was to be 1st into the 9's he missed by a couple of hours, but took the other guys ET down and backed it up with a better ET then his 1st 9 ET
John's Ultimate goal was to have his Hellcat 1st into the 8's. That was Leon Epling with his Manual Liberty Trans. But my husbands "Top Cat" was the 1st A8 into the 8's.
Sadly my husband became ill and passed before he got to see that happen.

My husband would post up all the news from the track of what was working and what wasn't on here at Hellcat.org. Those years were his dreams and goals but mine too. I got to have a Date night at the track 3Xs a week! ;) It was always fun to be with John he always took me along for the Fasssst Fun our whole life together!
Today there are many parts and ways to Tune our Hellcats.
I have recently added the AWE Track edition exhaust, also more recent I have had an SHR Trans installed and the HHP Demon like Springs. Josh has upgraded my Tuning by adding the Trans Tuning.
I've been daily driving it all summer and only have been to 1 T&T. I am hoping to attend the MSHS Hemirace.com up coming race.
My car is loaded on my trailer so that I can take it down to HHP, so that he can be gone over and race ready.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
43 Posts
The break in is mainly about bedding in the brake pads gently and the Differential. With new Gears if you jump on the freeway at 75-80 mph right off the bat the Diff oil will overheat and not protect the gears = Noisy gears. Absolute best is 25 miles city and then let the car cool to ambient. Light throttle in the lower gears and do not exceed 55 mph. Or follow the owners manual to the T.
Good luck.
Congratulations! Welcome. I had a 2010 RT Classic and now the Hellcat.
My observation here is less traffic on this section of Challenger forum but I think that’s logical given the costs. Take care.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll tell you a Sunday Morning Story :)
Lol Pavolo Dog ............That's Right! Dodge really built the Hellcats bringing back the Muscle. My husband wanted to be a Lexus, our area and friends had them. I'm No Way John you will drive it for 3 days and hate it because you are a Muscle Guy. He posted that up on here years ago and said I was right. He started out with a 2009 6spped Challenger and after reading on a forum that the speeds were the slower cars and more carnage he said "Lyn how would you like this?" On the computer screen was a 2010 Furious Fuchsia Challenger. I finally agreed. It had taken 6 months to come in. We picked it up and off it went to Mr Norms garage. My husband had it built with an AL 440 Hemi that a 3.6 Kenne Bell Crowned the top.He had everything upgraded for safety and strength for me to run a 10.00 ET. It was absolutely Beautiful and it took me 10 times down the track to run a 10.0! My husband was very proud of me. I never had drag raced before and he had posted that people without any experience could run a 10.0. As My FF got more go fast parts added and Tuning by Tim Barth of Mr Norms garage the Best ET was 9.18 we were shooting to be 1st into the 8's!
For himself John bought his all time favorite Mopar a 2011 V-10 Drag Pak

So while we waited for our Racecars to be built John had been watching the news about the Hellcats. He bought his off of Ebay and sent it out to Tim and a friend of ours Tom Bright drove the break in miles for it. John gave me his spot to order my Hellcat and I chose a Charger. ( I also have another 2010 FF Challenger which John bought me because I never got to Daily drive the other one. Once the warranty was gone around 2013 John sent it to DE to [email protected] Horse Performance for a D 1 Procharger build. I could continue learning to race and daily drive. My daughter Kate bracket races it! She loves the car and she is a very good racer.
Already being a customer of Josh's he asked me if I wanted to have my Hellcat Tuned, I was like No way! My husband asked me too ( really gently Bugged me) With my prior race car it was race, break, and build. I was having fun every time we went racing and no breaking. ( I already had an upgraded DSS AL driveshaft.
Finally I gave the "Fine" answer and my Hellcat Charger was the 1st to be Tuned using the Diablo CMR firm ware. First time down the track my number dropped to a 10.6 I had achieved the Dodge goal of a 10.8. My husband Loved R&D and didn't care about the warranty and had set some goals for himself. So the pioneering began. We went to the track Cecil County Dragway 3Xs a week for months on end with [email protected] for T&T + R&D of parts and Tuning. This is us, Josh in the middle my husband on the right.
View attachment 562540
John's Goal was to be 1st into the 9's he missed by a couple of hours, but took the other guys ET down and backed it up with a better ET then his 1st 9 ET
John's Ultimate goal was to have his Hellcat 1st into the 8's. That was Leon Epling with his Manual Liberty Trans. But my husbands "Top Cat" was the 1st A8 into the 8's.
Sadly my husband became ill and passed before he got to see that happen.

View attachment 562541

My husband would post up all the news from the track of what was working and what wasn't on here at Hellcat.org. Those years were his dreams and goals but mine too. I got to have a Date night at the track 3Xs a week! ;) It was always fun to be with John he always took me along for the Fasssst Fun our whole life together!
Today there are many parts and ways to Tune our Hellcats.
I have recently added the AWE Track edition exhaust, also more recent I have had an SHR Trans installed and the HHP Demon like Springs. Josh has upgraded my Tuning by adding the Trans Tuning.
I've been daily driving it all summer and only have been to 1 T&T. I am hoping to attend the MSHS Hemirace.com up coming race.
My car is loaded on my trailer so that I can take it down to HHP, so that he can be gone over and race ready.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Oh my gosh Linda, I’m crying and celebrating all of the same emotion LOL. Such an awesome story to hear about you and your family. Families that race together are normally pretty close and you were truly blessed to have that which I know you are. That video you sent is crazy cool, and the fact he did a V-10 swap is amazing work and definitely paid off. I have heard that term drag pack in the Mopar world every so often but I’m gonna have to look that one up. Of course it’s going to be a while before I do any type of mods to my car due to the warranty and don’t want to screw that up but when I do I’m hoping to find some decent tuner close to my area. I know for LS cars the majority of people in my area are jackasses and they’re very difficult to deal with so I’m hoping I have better luck in the Mopar world. The one thing I want to accomplish is to have a straight friendly car like I do now with mods being done to it. I know that’s kind of almost impossible to do with certain modifications but I don’t want to change how it does on the street so anything would be helpful as far To keep it a straight friendly car and drive like it come off the light, but just a lot faster LOL.
How did the demon springs do on the car as far as handling and planting? Do you happen to know a potential of what this car would run just don’t drag radials? In the past I have always used Nino drag radios and gotten great results from them. I would love to see the car go blow tans completely stock I’ll drag radials but not sure if that’s possible.

On a sidenote, I had thought about buying one of those Lexus 500 supercars or what they consider a supercar, a few months ago and was really close to biting the bullet on it but something changed my mind. Glad I chose to go the route that I was built for LOL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congratulations! Welcome. I had a 2010 RT Classic and now the Hellcat.
My observation here is less traffic on this section of Challenger forum but I think that’s logical given the costs. Take care.
Thanks man! good to be here.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,359 Posts
Who reads the manual prior to leaving the dealership and with these cars who can’t not wanna open it up pulling off the lot- lol.
Oh, I wanted to step on it badly. But having read up on the break-in procedure on line, I knew better.
That 500 mile oil change couldn't come soon enough, but once I'd done that...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh, I wanted to step on it badly. But having read up on the break-in procedure on line, I knew better.
That 500 mile oil change couldn't come soon enough, but once I'd done that...
so that brings me to another question. I have read several places to change the oil after the 500 Mark but the manual says 2500 to 3000 and the dealership is also saying the same. So which is right and which is wrong? I know the majority of motors I’ve dealt with in the past and old school muscle you would normally change it after 500 to 1000 miles but being this is a stock OEM from Dodge and they spent so much time engineering it then it kind of has me stumped on really want to change the oil

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,359 Posts
I prefer to get the break-in crap out early with engines like this, so 500 it is for me. And I drain the oil cooler, too, for that reason.
What I don't do is adhere to the 6-month rule. They go into hibernation with fresh oil, and run on it until next fall, with far from 6,000 miles on them.

Okay, now that I have kicked that hornets nest, I'll duck and cover.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts