SRT Hellcat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
955 Posts
Different symptom. Mine doesnt do that exactly. It doesnt crank and not start. It cranks once and starts but the crank is very slow, like a weak battery or like Gotgap mentioned - old school timing. Only happens when hot and noticeable enough that just for an instant you think it isnt going to start. What’s weird is it doesnt do it every time.
That’s exactly what mine does thank you for getting the vernacular correct for me slow...but like you said not every time, and I’m actually gonna throw in mostly on the hotter days, with mine anyways

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,348 Posts
So I think we can all agree that’s it’s heat related. That’s about the only relatively consistent condition I’m seeing so far. Although even that isnt super consistent. I’m not confident enough to leave it with a dealer because I just know they won’t be able to duplicate it.

Reactions: mchulst

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
301 Posts
Sounds like what happens when you have a bad ground. I wonder if one of the ground connections is doing something odd when it gets hot.

·
Registered
388 Posts
It's 100% heat related. I never had the issue when my car moved from a much hotter climate to a colder one. In the hotter climate it would pretty much 100% do it after the car got heatsoaked, and it was around 90f+ outside.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
955 Posts
So I think we can all agree that’s it’s heat related. That’s about the only relatively consistent condition I’m seeing so far. Although even that isnt super consistent. I’m not confident enough to leave it with a dealer because I just know they won’t be able to duplicate it.
Plus the joy ridding to McDonald’s

·
FCA Official
Challenger SRT Hellcat
248 Posts
Has anyone else reported this issue? What was done to fix it in the past?

You see the issue with taking my car into any service station is the problem has to be reproducible. In this case it's not, it's totally random. I have been trying to capture it on camera, but as luck would have it - I can never catch it. I am sure the car isn't just doing it for kicks, something is likely wrong.

Maybe others have more time to go haggle with the service station, but I do not.

@DodgeCares If you are willing to pre-call into my local service station so I know I am not wasting my time, I will happily take it down there. PM me for details.

I am happy to see that Dodge is watching the forums, that is pretty encouraging.
I feel the same way. I have had and still have several issues that are intermittent and the dealer “can’t reproduce” or tell me that it’s “how they are”.
I have a heated stearing wheel that doesn’t even get warm, when my 2018 would nearly burn my hands, I have a pop that comes from something in the front driver side intermittently wheel braking or changing direction. I have this same starting issue when heat soaked, and lastly was my suspension/alignment issues I recently discussed in another one of my threads. (That I paid for out of pocket to correct because I have already lost faith in my service center and when talking to the service manager there he said they likely did not have the equipment to correct the problem).
Day one of purchasing my hellcat. I couldn’t even drive it home because I had severe vibrations starting at 35 mph. At that time I suspected tires were allowed to get flat spots. I had to fight tooth and nail to get the dealer to replace the tires. When they finally did, they scraped the paint off around the entire perimeter of all 4 wheels. And they had the never to try to give the car back to me that way. Still had bad vibrations. I paid multiple times out of pocket to have wheels balance and rebalanced to fix. All the while the dealership was blaming the tires. Saying that “just how these tires are”. They were not like that on my 2018 Daytona by the way. I decided to just live with it at a point. Well fast forward to this month when I’m disco bing that my rear subframe is misaligned, my alignment is off my large margins on all wheel and I had a out of spec camber control arm. I have all this corrected and adjustable rear arms installed. Car now rides like a dream. No more vibrations no more getting sideways every time i accelerate a little. I thought that was another problem that was just a characteristic of the car because that’s all the dealership would do about it. I know now this was the problem all along. Now I’m out of pocket almost $1600 on something that should have been repaired under warranty by the dealership, but they refused to even attempt to make a real diagnosis.
Greetings mchulst and automatikdonn,
We understand your hesitation to visit the dealer. If you would be interested in calling in to our customer care team before your visit, they can escalate a case like we are able to do here, but they are also able to assist with getting an appointment scheduled. The number to call for that is 800-423-6343.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Rob,

I am not hesitant in visiting a service station, I am against wasting my time on fruitless activities.

I called the number and I will take the car in next week.

For those following I will keep the thread updated on how it goes. It should be at the very least entertaining and at the very most a solution to an issue that seems to effect more than just my cat.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
955 Posts
Rob,

I am not hesitant in visiting a service station, I am against wasting my time on fruitless activities.

I called the number and I will take the car in next week.

For those following I will keep the thread updated on how it goes. It should be at the very least entertaining and at the very most a solution to an issue that seems to effect more than just my cat.
Awesome sir keep us posted

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
94 Posts
I have had this issue happen a couple times now, and I am curious if it's common.

When the car is cold or has been sitting for more than one hour this issue does not happen.

When the car is warm, if I turn it off and then back on again inside of 1 hour it will periodically start hard, not start, or labor to start. This happens both via push button and remote start.

Start hard = many turns of the motor to start
Not start = exactly what it sounds like
Labor to start = it sounds like the battery is nearly dead and the starter motor has a difficult time turning over the motor.

19 Charger hellcat 18K miles

Anyone else experience this issue?

Any knowledge is greatly appreciated.
I’ve had the same issue. Dealer replaced injectors it still does it about once a week. So embarrassing.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
955 Posts
Yep....sounds like $%#! when it does it!

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
9 Posts
I actually went through a buyback on my 2019 HC charger because of this exact issue. The dealership kept t towing new starters on it only for them to burn up within 4K miles. They wouldn’t even entertain the thought that it wasn’t the starter. 😑 Another dealership ended up completing my buyback (long story), but they did notice a ground issue. Since my car went to auction, I have no clue what else they found after that.

I have had this issue happen a couple times now, and I am curious if it's common.

When the car is cold or has been sitting for more than one hour this issue does not happen.

When the car is warm, if I turn it off and then back on again inside of 1 hour it will periodically start hard, not start, or labor to start. This happens both via push button and remote start.

Labor to start = it sounds like the battery is nearly dead and the starter motor has a difficult time turning over the motor.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
57 Posts

Just had mine to dealer for same issue, even had video to show, problem was battery, I drive mine every week, however tech said that’s not enough, he suggested either a battery tender or drive more, they check the battery for an hour and the battery at first wasn’t putting out enough amps… After which they charged it it was putting out more amps than the battery listed

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
31 Posts
There is a TSB on this issue and Dodge has a pcm flash as a solution. Mention this to your dealers folks.
I'll try to update this info with a TSB number tomorrow.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,348 Posts
Just had mine to dealer for same issue, even had video to show, problem was battery, I drive mine every week, however tech said that’s not enough, he suggested either a battery tender or drive more, they check the battery for an hour and the battery at first wasn’t putting out enough amps… After which they charged it it was putting out more amps than the battery listed
Would love to know how a cold battery after sitting is stronger than one that was just being charged while driving. A weak battery normally acts the other way around.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
955 Posts
Would love to know how a cold battery after sitting is stronger than one that was just being charged while driving. A weak battery normally acts the other way around.
That’s the way I’ve always figured it. Btw slow you’re scaring me!..lol...you usually say creative minds think alike, but $%#!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
555 Posts
I have experienced this issue as well. It rarely occurs, but in my 8,000mi this year so far, It's hard started 3x. I had a maintenance appointment for something else and had the dealership look into it... they found nothing wrong, no surprise.

A few days later, I decided to see if I could force replicate the issue. I drove it for 15-20 minutes, put it into the garage and plugged my scanner in. I start/stopped the car a few dozen times until it hiccupped with a hard start. The scanner showed a P0016 code (crankshaft/camshaft timing misalignment). I cleared it, and repeatedly start/stopped it again for about 30 more tries. No luck on a repeat, and that was about 4 months ago and I haven't had the issue happen again. Further, Dodge pushed out a UConnect OTA update a couple of weeks ago, so this too may have updated things as well. The update was tagged as a "quality of life update" with no specific details as to what, and I haven't researched it to nitpick for details.

My guess is that my issue was likely something to do with the cam position sensor not sending a signal prior to engine start, which causes the delay in firing. I've seen this with the fuel pumps as well. It's almost like the PCM runs ahead of its peripherals and sends the command to the starter before the fuel pumps fully pressurize the system, or in this case, the cam position sensor communicates with the PCM. To send a signal to the ignition system, everything has to pass. If something doesn't pass, the car won't send spark. Without having seen the code, I'd bet that there's something like an IF ALL = PASS then goto [object for completing ignition sequence], ELSE goto... [instruction that redirects and repeats the startup sequence]. In lay terms, it would read like:

<Driver pushes the start button>
PCM/TCM - OK, let's start the car guys!
<PCM directs attached modules to perform startup tasks. Everything starts sending its ready to go indicators per the startup script in the PCM firmware>​
PCM: And, starter, you're cleared for go!
<Starter kicks over as the PCM quality check fails 1 or more criteria for ignition>​
PCM: WAIT!
<Car begins to hard start or idle start with no spark>​
PCM: Fuel check?
Fuel pumps: READY!
PCM: Crank and cam sensors?!
CS/CPS: CHECK!
PCM: OK, STARTER NOW you're clear to start! <starter achieves full power and car begins to turn over normally>
PCM: Ignition, you are go!
<Car starts>​

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
955 Posts
I have experienced this issue as well. It rarely occurs, but in my 8,000mi this year so far, It's hard started 3x. I had a maintenance appointment for something else and had the dealership look into it... they found nothing wrong, no surprise.

A few days later, I decided to see if I could force replicate the issue. I drove it for 15-20 minutes, put it into the garage and plugged my scanner in. I start/stopped the car a few dozen times until it hiccupped with a hard start. The scanner showed a P0016 code (crankshaft/camshaft timing misalignment). I cleared it, and repeatedly start/stopped it again for about 30 more tries. No luck on a repeat, and that was about 4 months ago and I haven't had the issue happen again.

My guess is that it is likely something to do with the cam position sensor not sending a signal prior to engine start, which causes the delay in firing. I've seen this with the fuel pumps as well. It's almost like the PCM runs ahead of its peripherals and sends the command to the starter before the fuel pumps, or in this case, the cam position sensor communicates with the PCM. In lay terms, it would read like, "OK, let's start the car guys! <Everything starts sending its ready to go indicators> PCM: And, starter, you're cleared for go! Starter kicks over... WAIT! <car begins to hard start or idle start with no spark> Fuel check? READY!, Crank and cam sensors?! CHECK! OK, STARTER NOW you're clear to start! Ignition, you are go! <Car starts>.
[/QUOTE
Sounds about right!, sounds logical in the step process as well..think now we’re getting somewhere cause that’s exactly what’s going on with mine!!

21 - 40 of 82 Posts