SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious what your guys engines run at I see that mine pretty much consistently runs at around 185 degrees while driving rarely moves from that maybe moves up or down like 2 degrees. I noticed if sitting or not moving in traffic or if I'm in the drive thru somewhere and idling for a few mins the car will heat up to about 192-200 at the highest it'll ever go. Then as soon as I get going again it starts to drop and goes right back to 185 is this normal or should I be concerned something is up?

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,500 Posts
Sounds like you have a 185 degree thermostat.

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,500 Posts
What does that do just make it run lower? Is that a good thing then?
Makes me wonder about a possible tune. I’m guessing you bought it used?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Makes me wonder about a possible tune. I’m guessing you bought it used?
Yeah I bought it used but it already had demon injectors on it and the hellraiser 2.85 pulley.... Since previous ownerr did it I had to get a diablo tuner and I changed out the pcm and I had someone custom tune it.... So I'm guessing with those mods it wouldn't be weird to change the thermostat to that?.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,849 Posts
180 thermostat, that's about where mine runs

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
180 thermostat, that's about where mine runs
Okay cool. Yeah after watching a bunch of videos seems that's pretty common. I also see my oil temp runs a little lower to... Same for you? People are saying it can cause issues but I've always heard people doing this mod and heard nothing but good things about it. I just never really knew what it did until now.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,849 Posts
I live in pa, so my car sleeps from Nov to April for the cold weather. I think your tune adjusts for it to prevent CEL.
It will not cause issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live in pa, so my car sleeps from Nov to April for the cold weather. I think your tune adjusts for it to prevent CEL.
It will not cause issues.
Okay awesome that's a relief. I actually grew up in pa just recently moved to new York and I plan to let mine sleep next winter I just didn't get a winter beater yet but that's what I'm looking into now

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay awesome that's a relief. I actually grew up in pa just recently moved to new York and I plan to let mine sleep next winter I just didn't get a winter beater yet but that's what I'm looking into now
I just thought it was odd to see it jump up when it idled like that but I mean an increase of 10 is like nothing lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
It jumped because you weren't moving and therefore no air entering the grilles to cool the coolant or coolers. When the air is flowing again it drops back down to stabilize around the t-stat temperature setting.

The stock 203F Hemi t-stat turns the radiator fans on Low at 210F and High around 220F. If you drop the t-stat by 20 degrees the fan settings should as well. So about 190F & 200F with a 180F t-stat which, from your observations, suggest the fans were likely adjusted and working properly - screaming to pull in air and to keep things cool.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It jumped because you weren't moving and therefore no air entering the grilles to cool the coolant or coolers. When the air is flowing again it drops back down to stabilize around the t-stat temperature setting.

The stock 203F Hemi t-stat turns the radiator fans on Low at 210F and High around 220F. If you drop the t-stat by 20 degrees the fan settings should as well. So about 190F & 200F with a 180F t-stat which, from your observations, suggest the fans were likely adjusted and working properly - screaming to pull in air and to keep things cool.
Awesome thanks for the input after further looking into it that seems to be the case. I was just curious because I had a scat pack before this and never did this mod and I always ran much hotter. And now people are saying this is to cold to run it but I hear people do this mod all the time and say how good it is for the car.

·
DRIVESRT.COM
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,773 Posts
Awesome thanks for the input after further looking into it that seems to be the case. I was just curious because I had a scat pack before this and never did this mod and I always ran much hotter. And now people are saying this is to cold to run it but I hear people do this mod all the time and say how good it is for the car.
The T-stat is a good mod since you are also running a faster pulley. Those tend to generate more supercharger heat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The T-stat is a good mod since you are also running a faster pulley. Those tend to generate more supercharger heat.
Yeah that's what I was reading too. Only thing I did notice was my oil only gets up to like 190... I'll have to look and see maybe it gets hotter than that but that's what I remember it being at

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
469 Posts
Is all your data based on NY winter driving?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts