SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently been experiencing a slight lifter tick for a few seconds when I first start my Hell-kitty. Also, an occasional puff of blue smoke on start-up.

Anyone else seeing or hearing this?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,003 Posts
Yep, comes with the package. My Challenger R/T, 5.7l did it.

The hemi, hemi tick!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
197 Posts
Mine does it. Really fast tick, then stops when the RPMs come down after cold start. But, that's just one of a half dozen other issues the poor car has.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
272 Posts
Is the proper oil being used. These modern engines require the use of 0 weight oils.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,230 Posts
Does the blue smoke on start-up go away after installing a catch-can?
Blue smoke on start sounds like valve seals. Catch can will have nothing to do with that issue. However, if you recently did oil change, give it a couple days, it should go away on its own.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correct oil is being used and I do have a catch can installed. (BTW is working very well, caught a decent amount of oil in the first 1000 miles) I'm not really too concerned about it, maybe happens once out of 20 start-ups. If it were valve seals it would happen more often the longer it sits, which isn't the case. I think it's more likely to be that the computer gets a bit confused based on the ambient temperature and sets the mixture to rich every now and again. Just like a choke that stays closed a bit too long.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recently been experiencing a slight lifter tick for a few seconds when I first start my Hell-kitty. Also, an occasional puff of blue smoke on start-up.

Anyone else seeing or hearing this?
Check your oil, I did it was a quart low, added some and it went away.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
186 Posts
We've got three hemi's in the driveway and the 5.7 has a cold tick every now and then but very infrequent. The 6.1 has never ticked and the Hellcat rattles like a can full of BB's. At first I was hoping it was just an preignition tick but it's the lifters rattling. I'm hoping valve recession after break-in makes it go away but to be honest, I'm not very impressed with the mediocre "quality" of this engine. Yeah, it can make horsepower but it seems a far cry from tight and my confidence it will last just 140K before rebuild is weakening......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts