SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok let me start by saying im not posting this to bad mouth anyone , im just lookin for responses from guys who may know more than i.

Ok so ive been talkin with Josh from Hhp, got quotes and all for a build im ready too do. However im near the Sc-NC Line so HHP is about 500 miles one way from me. So naturally im looking at shops ( who are hemi oriented) closer too me just to talk with and get quotes from as well. Turns out there is really only one and they are only about a 2hr drive or so from me.
This beings me too today, got on phone with their build rep ( the one thats good about the hemi cars) and he threw me off with some of his thoughts.

First he says they use 2.85 hellraiser on the Redeye with the factory lower. He said they see 14ish lbs of boost. Im thinking to myself the factory rating is 14lbs???? He says its closer to 11psi, i didnt argue as HES suppose to be the pro.

Second he says they dont pin cranks or rather they dont recommend it. He said he can show me in person why if I come in to see them.

Third hes recommended what they deem as stage 2 , that being heads ,& cam among other items. This makes me ask here, i dont recall you guys doing worked heads or not that stands out in my memory. Are worked heads worth the cost?

He said they dont change plugs that through their history of workin on hellcats that the stock plugs are sufficent... never heard that here before.

Also siad they dont use aftermarket catted mids, that they recommend retaining the facotry ones to use with long tubes. Said kooks has some kind of pipe that utilized the factory converters.... ive never heard of that either.

Can i get thoughts on this please? Seems to conflict with what ive read here over the last 2 years. Keep in mind this is NOT joe blows garage. Its a very reputable shop, BIGGG MONEY cars,-builds ect.... im just left wondering about his suggestions

Oh and this is what they call their 900hp package and its going to be around 15k ( updated 2021 price )

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes thats correct this info did NOT COME from Josh at HHP.

This came from a shop here in Nc thats close too me. Just checkin options closer to home, as i said HHP is a long trip away is all. I know hhp is king on these builds but im looking at logistics in terms if travel, any possible issues and having to take the car back for any reason... closer the shop the better naturally.

I didnt expect the responses i got from the rep honestly... gave me a reason to question it.

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,039 Posts
Demon Performance is in SC and Injected Engineering is in Kennesaw GA.

As for the shop in your area, everything sounds wrong except, there's nothing wrong with factory plugs, many people use them even up to 1000hp, also the factory cats are actually very good too and most aftermarket cats aren't unless they're GESI. I ran my 1000hp(892whp) Hellcat through the stock manifolds and stock cats for just over 3 years before I sold the car, never had an issue.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger HC A8
75 Posts
Hummmm, 15K for a pulley and injector swap??? I hope they're throwing in a Whipple for that ..

I talked to Mass Acceleration about a 2.85 upper, ID-1050 injectors, pinning the damper and tuning on my Hellcat and they quoted less than 5-grand.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well its a ton of stuff for the 15k. Just threw me with the boost opinions he had and saying NOT to pin the crank.... i found that odd.

Ported heads
Cam
Long tubes
2.85 hellraiser
Injectors
New push rods
Blah blah.....

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,039 Posts
Hummmm, 15K for a pulley and injector swap??? I hope they're throwing in a Whipple for that ..

I talked to Mass Acceleration about a 2.85 upper, ID-1050 injectors, pinning the damper and tuning on my Hellcat and they quoted less than 5-grand.

That's a decent shop too. I met a guy locally in GA that moved here from SC that had all of his work done at Mass Acceleration, his Hellcat runs 9.3's in the 1/4.

Reactions: 2fast4u

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody Octane Red
1,505 Posts
Some of the guys might be able to help you more if you let them know your goals with the build. I watch the forum a lot and headers, cam, and porting seem to be only on the extreme builds.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger HC A8
75 Posts
Some of the guys might be able to help you more if you let them know your goals with the build. I watch the forum a lot and headers, cam, and porting seem to be only on the extreme builds.
Well its a ton of stuff for the 15k. Just threw me with the boost opinions he had and saying NOT to pin the crank.... i found that odd.

Ported heads
Cam
Long tubes
2.85 hellraiser
Injectors
New push rods
Blah blah.....

Yeah, R&R'ing the heads is definitely expensive.

Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,039 Posts
Correct, and even then most of the people using cam, heads and headers are using big cube engines too.

Reactions: borden72

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Breaking in 9s would be the goal. Just after that lope for a smile , thus the desire for the cam. Heads was NOT MY idea, that was his suggestion since i was after a cam. They package them together. In house cut and grind...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody Octane Red
1,505 Posts
I would talk to Josh again about the cam recommendation and porting.

Reactions: Baloothebear

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
121 Posts
I have been on here searching and researching for some time, and I can say that the majority of the guys with big builds either use Josh or they at the bare minimum respect his work and would use him if it was more convenient (distance away). There is always someone out there thinking they reinvented the wheel, unless you have an unlimited budget, most of what the normal person would want to do has already been done by HHP, can't go wrong with them, and someday I will be shipping my rig to them!

Reactions: borden72

·
Registered
2020 Challenger HC A8
75 Posts
Breaking in 9s would be the goal. Just after that lope for a smile , thus the desire for the cam. Heads was NOT MY idea, that was his suggestion since i was after a cam. They package them together. In house cut and grind...

These Performance Shop will try to up-sell you. That's how they make their money. Even Mass Acceleration tried that with me. Telling me I needed to spend entirely too much money to run low 10's to a high 9.

But I know better.

I ran a 7.08 a couple weeks ago in 48'f air with a 1.61 60'... Still figuring out how to launch this heavy a$$ 'Stock' beast [ still have the factory oil fill ] with a 28" M&H drag radial and manually shifting into 1st at 6100 and kicking it back into auto ...

I'm trying to get into the 6's before adding power.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
168 Posts
Personally I have a hard time understanding why people don't just double pin their cranks in the first place. I pinned my own crank and it's just as easy to rotate the pinning guide tool 180 degree's and making the second hole. Then for a shop to say that they don't recommend it, I would really like to know why.

Headers I do recommend. I know there are a lot of folks that will tell you their not needed but I installed Kooks headers along with a full catless exhaust, one-piece aluminum driveshaft and DIRS differential brace and I gained a good amount of ponies. I haven't dyno'ed it yet, but my time slips went from a one time best of 11.3x (11.4x were my consistent norm) to consistent 10.80's. That is on an untuned fully loaded Charger with no other mods other than a full drag pack.

Regarding the exhaust, the cats are welded onto the factory mid pipes so I have no idea what they mean about utilizing the factory cats with a Kooks pipe. They would have to do some custom exhaust work to reattach the factory mids to the Kook header collectors.

I would inquire and gather more information about the cam and head work as well as the Kooks/Factory Cat that they are speaking of. Also did they address fuel? E85, if that's an option for you?

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I don’t think the OP is referring to HHP with his story, I think he’s referring to a shop closer to home that he talked to. If I’m reading this correctly? If I am, OP choose a different shop then the one that told you what you wrote about.
TBQH, "shady and incompetent" aren't how I think HHP could be described, and he is obviously referring to his "local dudes" shop that is about 2 hours away. It definitely sounds suspicious.
At the Hellcat's top speed, HHP is 2.5 hours away :D (but you'd have to stop every 11 minutes to refuel, evidently.)

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im checkin shipping quotes to take it too HHP...... will see how that goes. Its a hiccup but gezzz its so hard to go aginst the grain as HHP seems to be such a favorite in this field. Might pay to spend the extra just too make the ling haul too them rather than the questionable unknown with the B shop. Even though they are very reputable, and i mean extremely. Just baffles me the suggestions- convo i had with them.

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,039 Posts
I provided you with two very reputable shops also, not sure which is closest to you though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts