SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed this while sitting at a light today. My IAT on my dash matches the temp of the intercooler temp on the Nav screen and does not match the IAT on the NAV screen. The intercooler and IAT on dash mirror the whole time.

Did dodge mislabel something or do I have something switched on my car? It's a 15 if that matters.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,461 Posts
I seem to recall reading some posts that on the early cars the readings were swapped.

With my 2018 Hellcat the intake air temperature always ran about 40F above ambient air temperature.

The IC coolant temperature ran about 10F over ambient.

This at first seems wrong but the IC coolant radiator is very effective at cooling the liquid. It is less effective at removing heat from the incoming compressed air. This is a trade off that liquid cooled charge cooling has. A bit easier to "plumb" but less effective then air to air charge cooling.

To be sure better charge cooling could be had but at the expense of a thicker intercooler which would raise the supercharger up and require a more bulgy hood which would block the view out of the car.

My Porsche Turbo had air to air charge coolers and they were very effective. Under the same driving conditions the intake air temperature was around 12F to 15F above ambient. But to get air to the intercoolers required fancy ($$$$) air scoops one on each side of the car just above and in front of the rear wheel well opening and each scoop ended in a massive air tube to carry the outsider air down to the intercooler located behind the rear wheel. The plumbing in the engine compartment to route the filtered engine air into each turbo and then route the compressed (and hot) air to the charge coolers was a mass of large tubing that took every bit of space in the engine compartment.

Plugs were changed from under the car which required the exhaust and considerable intake tubing be removed. To do anything on top of the engine -- like anything with the intake or the fuel injectors -- pretty much required the engine be dropped.

The incoming charge cooling was impressive but came at a considerable cost. One reason why the Turbo stickered for $119K vs. the $65K for the Hellcat.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good info and I'm pretty familiar with this type of IC system coming from the Cobra world and my 427r has the same. The labeling through me off as it's inconsistent. Sounds like Dodge fixed it? If so, anyone know if it can be fixed with a software update or some wiring changes?

·
DRIVESRT.COM
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,790 Posts
Good info and I'm pretty familiar with this type of IC system coming from the Cobra world and my 427r has the same. The labeling through me off as it's inconsistent. Sounds like Dodge fixed it? If so, anyone know if it can be fixed with a software update or some wiring changes?
2015-2016 with UConnect Update 18.45.01 had the mislabeling issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts