SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just changed the factory engine oil, filter, and drained the oil cooler at 505 miles on my 2022 Redeye Challenger.

I sent a 3 oz sample to Blackstone labs, I've sent all my oil samples to them over the past decade or so. It saved me big bucks several years back when they accurately predicted an impending main and rod bearing failure on my 6.5 Diesel in time for me to order a new engine and get it installed just in time. When I autopsied the old engine it was exactly what they said - all the bearings were flaking away from a prior headgasket failure that contaminated the oil 10,000 miles prior.

Best $30 you'll ever spend. Blackstone Laboratories

So here is what the factory fill looks like according to their lab results:

Font Rectangle Material property Pattern Parallel

· Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

· Registered
1,140 Posts
The oil analysis is interesting. It will be more interesting to see the results of your next one. How many miles until your next oil change? I’m sure it will show improvements of a new engine breaking in.

· Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm driving it like any old man having a 3/4 life crisis would. My best 0 to 60 today was 3.7 seconds. :cool:

From the analysis it looks like they add some type of molybdenum break-in additive in there seeing how high the moly count is.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Dodge tells us how to drive the car for the first 500 miles. For break-in.
But they never say how many miles for the first oil change.

Edit: From what the comments say, in a few more oil changes the elements found will decline.

So, IMO we only have to drain the oil cooler the first 3 or 4 oil changes. Lol…

· Registered
1,140 Posts
This oil analysis from another member is on a 2015 Hellcat 1750 miles. I just clicked on it under recommended reading. I wonder what the improvements are in technology for the 2022 6.2 L Hellcat motor.

· Registered
Challenger SRT 392
9,301 Posts
And they never will, to tell you to do something that no other OEM does and is mostly unnecessary would not be good for business. But we know what to do.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This oil analysis from another member is on a 2015 Hellcat 1750 miles. I just clicked on it under recommended reading. I wonder what the improvements are in technology for the 2022 6.2 L Hellcat motor.

Very cool seeing the other result sheets. Very similar data on the oil, too, from different early Hellcats with 1,750, 500, and 600 miles.

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
997 Posts
And they never will, to tell you to do something that no other OEM does and is mostly unnecessary would not be good for business. But we know what to do.

There are a lot of other manufacturers with break in periods or break in services but none as weird as the hellcats instructions.

Personally with the motors being broken in at the factory my only real concern was the trans and any driveline or suspension related components, so I didnt do any crazy downshifts/upshifts, drifts, hard skids,etc etc but I did drive it within reason, it's a 700+ horsepower car in 2022, you expect for people to drive like a grandma for the first 500 miles??? Not really gonna happen with most owners, it's meant to be driven hard lol.

If dodge really was scared of protecting the car they would have limited the ecu like GM did with the c8.

· Registered
2015 Charger SRT Hellcat
4,061 Posts
Isn't every oil change 6 mos/6K miles?

Edit: From what the comments say, in a few more oil changes the elements found will decline.

So, IMO we only have to drain the oil cooler the first 3 or 4 oil changes. Lol…
Isn't EVERY change at 6K or 6 months (or so they say)?

· Registered
2015 Charger SRT Hellcat
4,061 Posts
I just changed the factory engine oil, filter, and drained the oil cooler at 505 miles on my 2022 Redeye Challenger.

I sent a 3 oz sample to Blackstone labs, I've sent all my oil samples to them over the past decade or so. It saved me big bucks several years back when they accurately predicted an impending main and rod bearing failure on my 6.5 Diesel in time for me to order a new engine and get it installed just in time. When I autopsied the old engine it was exactly what they said - all the bearings were flaking away from a prior headgasket failure that contaminated the oil 10,000 miles prior.

Best $30 you'll ever spend. Blackstone Laboratories

So here is what the factory fill looks like according to their lab results:

View attachment 598959
So if you got a bad report would you have gone back to the dealer or what?

· Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So if you got a bad report would you have gone back to the dealer or what?
Absolutely, if it's still under warranty. It's irrefutable proof of an engine problem. It's exactly what Dodge would do with a suspected failed engine before they agree to replace it under warranty.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

· Registered
2015 Charger SRT Hellcat
4,061 Posts
Ok, my next change will be done shortly, at 57K, so I'll send it in and see what it says. I'm also switching to the K&N oil filter (advertised 10-micron rating) and will compare particulates on the next one then.

· Registered
Challenger SRT 392
9,301 Posts
Isn't every oil change 6 mos/6K miles?
They actually say change the oil when the oil life monitor says to change it because how you drive obviously has an effect on how much the oil could break down, and then they say in no case shall this be longer than 6 months or 6,000 miles. So a hard driver putting 3-4,000 miles in 6 months might have to change it early, normally the 6 months will cover it but you have to keep up with the time yourself, the oil monitor does not measure time and you will probably go over 6 months waiting for it if you drive easy.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.