SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
SRT Hellcat M6
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question about oil change interval.

The '17 M6 Hellcat would run oil to zero every 8,000 miles. I managed to get by 33k miles of lease with just 4 oil changes.

The new one seems to be calibrated for every 3,000 miles. Can anyone confirm?

This is a significant maintenance cost increase and added headache. I had zero issues with the '17 changing it every 8k miles as the computer would indicate.

Please advise. Thanks!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
7,069 Posts
So you did not follow the mandatory maximum every 6 month interval to keep your engine warranty?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am at 4600 miles and no change alert yet, owners manual states 6 months or 5k miles. I just drive normal. I should see it soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
SRT Hellcat M6
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am at 4600 miles and no change alert yet, owners manual states 6 months or 5k miles. I just drive normal. I should see it soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It seems that the current computer is tuned to go down by 10% every 300 miles. Originally I thought the first oil was getting used up so quickly because of engine break in and my rough driving, but it appears now that the whole system is reprogrammed.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
7,069 Posts
It seems that the current computer is tuned to go down by 10% every 300 miles. Originally I thought the first oil was getting used up so quickly because of engine break in and my rough driving, but it appears now that the whole system is reprogrammed.
There is no set program, the system monitors how you drive with regards to throttle position and rpm to try to determine how hard you are working your oil. If you just putt around the oil will last a long time compared to running it hard. The system though does not take into account the time since last change which is why you need to keep up with the 6 month changes yourself.

·
Registered
SRT Hellcat M6
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is no set program, the system monitors how you drive with regards to throttle position and rpm to try to determine how hard you are working your oil. If you just putt around the oil will last a long time compared to running it hard. The system though does not take into account the time since last change which is why you need to keep up with the 6 month changes yourself.

I guess I'm driving a lot rougher since I put Michelin PS4 instead of the stock Pirelli P Zero. I used to be really light on the throttle before, but the car is essentially glued to the road, so flooring the gas pedal is part of the routine haha...

·
Registered
2020 Challenger HC A8
71 Posts
I think it has more to do with than mileage, doesn't it?
It's like Slidd posted, it's about how hard you drive those miles. I changed my oil at the 6mo mark and the Oil was at 30% according to the OLM.

4600 miles and 50+ 1/8th mile passes and the regular hard driving.

Weird thing the oil level was just under the top hole on the stick, but only 5.5qts drained out.
The oil cooler was essentially empty.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
917 Posts
The 392 NEVER drained anything near 7 quarts out. I got to the point I would drain it, and only put 6 back in(after filling filter), and add a bit at a time.

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,747 Posts
Slidd is correct, no mileage timer. If you want your warranty intact with no questions just change it every six months or 5k miles. End of story.

·
Registered
SRT Hellcat M6
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I do my own oil change, how do I document everything that it was done, for warranty purposes?

·
Registered
In The Market
125 Posts
If I do my own oil change, how do I document everything that it was done, for warranty purposes?
Get the my Mopar app , create an account , enter your car info and vin, then from dashboard click on the maintenance icon at the bottom , then click the add Maintenance record and put in your info, be sure you add type of oil used and oil filter, lastly save your receipts.
Screenshot_20210419-141704_My Mopar.jpg Screenshot_20210419-141522_My Mopar.jpg

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
7,069 Posts
Can also be as simple as a notebook where you write the date and service on a separate page and gluestick the receipts on the opposite page, keeps everything nice and neat and totally acceptable as proof of service.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
265 Posts
The time based oil changes don't make any sense to me. How do you account for people who store their cars for winter?

·
Registered
SRT Hellcat M6
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The time based oil changes don't make any sense to me. How do you account for people who store their cars for winter?
Likewise... It seems to be a manufacturer created pitfall in order to create an ability to deny warranty claims.

·
Registered
2020 Hellcat Redeye NB in Hellraisin
258 Posts
Put mine away in November with a fresh oil change . Will be changing the oil in May when it comes out of hibernation. Change it every 6 months if you want the warranty.

·
Registered
SRT Hellcat M6
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And all they'd want is a receipt that you bought the oil (assuming you changed it yourself) and document it within the app?

Reactions: ALongGuy
1 - 20 of 36 Posts