SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm missing something but do you wait till the oil life monitor system informs you to change it or is it 6,000 miles or 6 months what I saw in the manual? Any idea on cost at dealership?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,003 Posts
Owners choice. Owners manual should be absolute maximums. Most dealers in my area run $100 for oil change.

I'm just over 30k miles and am on oil change number 8. Did first at 1899 miles and then again after 4000+ miles. Personal preference and opinions will vary all over the place. It's your vehicle and your choice

YMMV

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks for the info. I was figuring around $100!

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
54 Posts
I actually work at a dealership and I've discussed this exact thing with my techs and advisers yesterday. EVERYONE says not to do the 1,000 mile first oil change thing, it's not necessary.
We have a couple of guys who own SRT's and Vipers and both recommend doing the first change at 3,000 miles, and an interval of 5,000 after that. So, that's what I'm going to do.

I have 1,000 on mine now so that's why I asked.

Here, an oil change is $89.99, but a 4 oil change package is $250, so $62.50 each. I'm sure most dealer's offer some sort of package. Also, you can do it yourself, it's not that big of a deal.
Get some race ramps, a cheap oil pan at Autozone. An SRT filter and oil is less than 60 bucks on e-bay.

Perfornance SRT Oil Filter & 0W40 Full Synthetic Pennzoil Platinum 6.4 Mopar OEM | eBay

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
609 Posts
I think it used to be primitive manufacturing tech, and the first oil change after a few hundred miles was to get rid of particles and chunks. And technically the second set of oil would be the high zinc needed break in oil etc.
now adays with some pretty awesome machining, motors are put together with out much wear or chunks. So that high zinc with all the goodies and rather expensive oil that manufacturers send the cars out with, you want to keep in there for a bit. Because the oil that comes in your next oil change is not going to have all chems that the original oil had in it.

Unless your going to go out and buy the how ever many quarts of the high end break in oil and do your first oil change with that.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
502 Posts
Work that oil change price down. I got a great deal. 7 quarts 0W-40 Pennzoil + Mopar filter for $65.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
128 Posts
I bought mine from my local dealer so I would have a record of purchasing it in case of warranty proof later and it cost $73.62 out the door w/o labor of course.

·
Registered
171 Posts
7 its of Mobil 1 0W-40, $35. Purolator filter ~$8. Do it yourself in under an hour for <$50.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
502 Posts
Mobil 1 is not approved for 15/16/17 SRT cars and could potentially void your warranty if you have an engine issue.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
493 Posts
7 its of Mobil 1 0W-40, $35. Purolator filter ~$8. Do it yourself in under an hour for <$50.
If you're using a garbage filter like Purolator, I hope you're changing your oil every 1500 to 2000 miles. That filter has very little surface area (small number of pleats). You need to use a better quality filter like what came on it or better yet a SRT filter

·
Registered
171 Posts
Oh, I guess the 213,000 miles I now have on the car mean nothing. It still runs 12.7 @ 111 and knocks down 21mpg at 75mph. Your myth is "BUSTED". Just do regular maintenance and your car will last a long time.

Reactions: JLang

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
636 Posts
I like to do the first oil change early, around 1500 miles. Cut the filter open and inspect for shavings. This is not really necessary, but it makes me feel better. After that, I keep it on the 5,000 mile intervals because it's easy to remember. If you're super into preventative maintenance, Cat does oil analysis kits for about $13. You take sample and service, mail it in, and they send you a bar graph with the contaminants that they find and general allowable limits. The real benefit of this is over time, as you can tell when something is starting to happen by upswings in the bar graph. They also will send an alert if something unusual is detected.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
493 Posts
Oh, I guess the 213,000 miles I now have on the car mean nothing. It still runs 12.7 @ 111 and knocks down 21mpg at 75mph. Your myth is "BUSTED". Just do regular maintenance and your car with last a long time.
I guess you use STP oil treatment too... :eek:

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
487 Posts
Also, you can do it yourself, it's not that big of a deal.
Last year, I got the dealership to do the first few oil changes mostly because I wanted warranty proof. I did the first oil change of the year myself because I didn't want to take it there for something I could do myself. I asked how that would affect my warranty and they said just have receipts that you bought an oil filter and that should be all you need.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I guess you use STP oil treatment too... :eek:
I'll tell you what. When you have more miles on your engine than I do (213K), you can chime in. Until then, shhhhhh. And no, I don't use oil treatment. Just regular maintenance with full synthetic and a fresh filter every time at 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh, I guess the 213,000 miles I now have on the car mean nothing. It still runs 12.7 @ 111 and knocks down 21mpg at 75mph. Your myth is "BUSTED". Just do regular maintenance and your car will last a long time.
Just to reinforce the good advice of regular maintenance: A friend of mine has a Dodge pickup, (I forget the year), that has...500,000 miles on it, and going strong. He has no intention of getting rid of it. In fact, they just had a collision with a full grown elk, and the left front is mangled. But if he can get it fixed, he's getting it fixed. I, myself, have a history in aviation maintenance and can attest that regular maintenance keeps a vehicle going for a lot longer than you might think. But it DOES make a difference as to what type of oil, and filters one uses. Eg: you get what you pay for. For a special car like a Hellcat, it deserves the best one can afford. Don't cut corners. Between 2FST4GM's comment, and mine, I hope we've helped.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts