SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Oil Cooler Drain Plug - Access Door

37K views 99 replies 58 participants last post by  2ndAmend 
#1 ·
Did my First Oil Change the Charger. All went fine.
As many know, had to take both underside panels off. The front one is a PITA.
FCA should have put an access panel for the oil cooler drain plug but they did not so I did

Hope this helps someone else
Zip

Bumper Automotive exterior Trunk Vehicle Auto part
Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle door Auto part Fender

Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle door Auto part Fender
Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle

Vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive exhaust

See less See more
#5 ·
I haven't done the oil on mine yet. I guess it flows straight down, not the huge surge like coming from an oil pan?

Reactions: Niz55
#6 · (Edited)
Yes. There is not a huge surge. This panel will make the job much easier. Also, some of the fasteners used on the front belly pan are just not designed to be repeatedly taken on an off. Its clearly an oversight from fca not to have an access door to get to the drain plug.

Just my .02

#7 ·
Yes. There is not a huge surge. This panel will make the job much easier. Also, some of the fasteners used on the front belly pan are just not designed to be repeatedly taken on an off. It clearly an oversight from fca not to have an access foot got the drain plug.

Just my .02
Thanks, what did you make the door panel from? Aluminum?

#10 ·
From where? I'm not in the plastic business where would we get some sheets?

#12 ·
Did my First Oil Change the Charger. All went fine.
As many know, had to take both underside panels off. The front one is a PITA.
FCA should have put an access panel for the oil cooler drain plug but they did not so I did

Hope this helps someone else
Zip

View attachment 19574 View attachment 19575

View attachment 19575 View attachment 19576

View attachment 19577
Ok I have a plan make a whole bunch of the access panels and sell them to your fellow felines. I'm 1st in line my cat and I will thank you! John

#17 ·
#19 ·
The original Drain Plug is under the rear shield which has 4 10mm bolts.
It really needs to be removed anyway to get to the filter

Its the front one that is the problem which this solution solves in my case

This is just something I came up with, I am sure the many minds on this forum may have other ideas.

This was just a start for everyone

#23 ·
My question is do we really need to cover up the hole? I mean the belly pan is there for aerodynamic purposes but I'm not planning on going 200 MPH any time soon. What do you guys think?

#30 ·
#32 ·
me to!!! why doesnt someone that can make a run.
ex.
mabye make a 20 piece run, we all pre pay to help builder with costs, once we all ante up, handy guy gets to work,, who knows mabye he makes a new product and it takes off.. im going to ask a guy i know what he thinks..

alot of people dont even know they need to maintain this...

#36 · (Edited)
Gents, did the same thing but used Velcro around a 1/2" lip. I initial thought of use the other type of push pin with the ridges, but I realized the plastic wouldn't be perfectly flat and if air were to create a bend at any point, would it come off or perhaps air turbulence? SO, I opted for the velcro setup that makes it lay flat around the entire area. Just another option to consider.

PS - For plastic options, just walk around Home Depot and look at things like storage bins, trays, and such and you can easily cut a chunk of plastic out of something. There are a ton of custom cut plastic shops online. I used many sites for just cutting a single part for doing work on the boat, just depends on how perfect you want it to look. Go to Michael's or Hobby Lobby...just other places you can get materials to work with.

Ebay - Tons of options
BLACK ABS PLASTIC SHEET 1/8" YOU PICK THE SIZE - VACUUM FORMING RC BODY HOBBY

#37 ·
Gents, did the same thing but used Velcro around a 1/2" lip. I initial thought of use the other type of push pin with the ridges, but I realized the plastic wouldn't be perfectly flat and if air were to create a bend at any point, would it come off or perhaps air turbulence? SO, I opted for the velcro setup that makes it lay flat around the entire area. Just another option to consider.

PS - For plastic options, just walk around Home Depot and look at things like storage bins, trays, and such and you can easily cut a chunk of plastic out of something. There are a ton of custom cut plastic shops online. I used many sites for just cutting a single part for doing work on the boat, just depends on how perfect you want it to look. Go to Michael's or Hobby Lobby...just other places you can get materials to work with.

Ebay - Tons of options
BLACK ABS PLASTIC SHEET 1/8" YOU PICK THE SIZE - VACUUM FORMING RC BODY HOBBY
Went to Lowe's for some plexi plastic to fix my popcorn maching I have at home. They most likely will have some thin stuff that would work.
You really need to keep this area closed up.
did my first oil change last week and it is unbelievable how many small stones and chips were caught up in there.
Our TWP did the chip and tar last fall and I guess it is like sand. It gets into every thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.