SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in my buyers thread but wanted to get some visibility on it and others feedback. I bought this car on Tuesday and it's under a 100 day warranty through the dealership (Carvana). From what I've read and seen it sounds like the SC bearing on this car has failed but would love your feedback on if I'm correct or not. The warranty is through a company called Silver Rock. I spoke with them yesterday and they advised my warranty covers everything in the car that could not be considered normal wear and tear or parts that are wear items like brakes. Odd thing is all their "in network" shops are all service stations (Lambs Tire, NTB, Pep Boys, Kwik Kar, etc). Out of network I'll have to pay $50 so I'm going to take it to the local Dodge Dealership.

Here is the main reason for confirmation. Is this obviously bad or would it be debatable? Silver Rock stated they would pay the diagnosis fee if something is found wrong that is covered but stated the dealership would have to agree to work with them and provided all required info to prove the part is defective. I'll talk to the dealership about this but I have to assume they are used to working with aftermarket warranty suppliers. I just want to know if this is a clear cut example before wasting my time and money (if they don't agree it's bad) on the deductible and diagnostics fee. Also, if it is bad, do these get worse or is this basically as loud as they normally get?

·
Registered
2017 Challenger SRT Hellcat
853 Posts
I would say that is “the noise,” but mine was quite a bit louder. It also continued on after the engine was shut off. Does yours?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe a little bit but not real bad. You can hear it wind down when I shut it off for maybe 1-2 seconds.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat 6MT
319 Posts
The bearings are going, but not "completely" gone, so if they may choose to question the necessity of the repair. It has to be repaired though...

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
697 Posts
Did you post another thread on this? GM had that on their CTS V's, but it was design issue, and didn't cause any real damage just a rattling sound. It's a spring inside the snout. They DID extend the SC warranty out to 10YR/100K though.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I tagged it into a long thread I had going on about buying my car. I figured I'd get more visibility in a separate thread since very few (if anyone) is even looking in that thread anymore, much less for tech advise.

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
787 Posts
put a screw driver on the tensioner pulley and put your ear on the handle end to see if you feel or hear vibration from it, or the blower. then remove the belt and see if the SC pulley has a ton of backlash. I thought my blower blew up too but it was the tensioner that died. heres my vid from a while back;

Serpentine Belt Tensioner Failure @33k Miles - YouTube

·
Registered
2018 Demon
52 Posts
That’s crazy, just looked init it after seeing this and it seems to be pretty damn common

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,952 Posts
Frosty - Doesn't sound good to me... I had mine replaced in 2018. Mine was very subtle just stating to make noise... my SRT tech said it was on it's way out and covered it under warranty. It is hard to tell from a video as to me they sound different in person. Good luck I hope they cover it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine for comparison, if it helps:

Yours and mine sound identical. I booked an appointment with my local dodge dealership. They said they have worked with SilverRock Warranty (Carvana's warranty company) in the past so hopefully they already know how to work the red tape. Really hope they can convince them it should be replaced but with it being an aftermarket warranty company I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well damn.... Just ran across this in the "what's not covered" stuff.

"A breakdown which occurred prior to your purchase of your vehicle that would have been obvious and apparent if that component was inspected at time of purchase. " Pretty sure that's where they are going to deny fixing this for me.

Quick question - I have the tools and ability to change the snub bearings myself. I wonder if it would be worth while to just pull the snub off and R&R the bearings to see if that fixes things. I know most will say to just let the dealership fight that battle but I'd rather just do it myself vs the hassle of taking the car in just for the claim to be denied. I may just drive the snot out of the car the next 90 days and if it gets worse then it would be more likely to approved as needing replacement.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger SRT Hellcat
853 Posts
I think your last sentence makes the most sense. Drive it for awhile and then say it just showed up around the 90 day mark.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Man, I hate this for you. I know you've been searching hard. If you do end up keeping it and replacing the supercharger bearings (?) yourself, at least you'll know what's up.

That warranty fine print sounds discouraging though.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
337 Posts
Honestly, I'd argue that the dealership failed to do their job by inspecting said vehicle. It's a fairly obvious issue... play hardball....

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Man, I hate this for you. I know you've been searching hard. If you do end up keeping it and replacing the supercharger bearings (?) yourself, at least you'll know what's up.

That warranty fine print sounds discouraging though.
Appreciate it. All my friends know me as the "if it can go wrong, it will go wrong" person in our group. Always been that way so I've learned to roll with the body jabs in life. I'm keeping the car and am still pretty happy with it. It's going to cost me a bit more than I wanted to make it exactly what I wanted but still within my budget. I do plan on replacing the snout and possibly the bearing plate bearings myself. I've reached out to a couple people whom have done it for feedback on the process to make sure I do it right. Doesn't seem to be to much info out there for the DIY people out there. The front bearings don't sound to bad to replace from what I could find. It's the rear ones that are the PITA. Using my stethoscope I could clearly hear two bad bearings. The very front one in the snout is making a grinding noise as is the tensioner pulley bearing. The rear of the snout actually sounded really good so I'm hopeful a snout rebuild will solve the noise. I also ordered the metco tensioner pulley kit to replace that pulley and the idler.

The only other issue I found with the car (not cosmetic) was a popping sound when starting slowly and coming to a complete stop. Got the car up on the lift and found a transmission mount that was loose. Tightened it and put the Barton shifter on and the noise is gone.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You ever get this sorted out?

Reactions: SRTCVO

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not yet. I finally got the tools in the mail about 1.5 weeks ago (were on back order). Now just waiting for a weekend where my daughter doesn't have a tournament so it will probably be a couple more weeks at best.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Following.
Here is the link to my video, and it sounds very similar.
I bought an extended factory warranty and have an appointment set up on Monday morning for a thorough inspection.
I'd be interested to know how hard of a job this would be if mine is denied under warranty as well.
Good luck!

·
FCA Official
Challenger SRT Hellcat
272 Posts
Following.
Here is the link to my video, and it sounds very similar.
I bought an extended factory warranty and have an appointment set up on Monday morning for a thorough inspection.
I'd be interested to know how hard of a job this would be if mine is denied under warranty as well.
Good luck!
Hi SRTwannabe,
We sincerely regret to hear of your trouble. If we can be of any additional assistance as you are working with your dealer, feel free to send us a private message. We'd be more than happy to help.

Rob
Dodge Cares

1 - 20 of 20 Posts