SRT Hellcat Forum banner
7K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  adbeaver 
#1 ·
Seen this on here before and other boards as well. Just want to share so we can keep the information flowing.

Charger Hellcat delivered on Aug 13. Just went on first long road trip (about 700 miles round trip).

Turn 1500 miles about 45 minutes from home and the car started to rumble/shake when I gave it throttle. After stopping to do a walk around and popping the hood to see what I could see (nothing) I got back on road and the check engine light came on. Ran the onboard diagnostics while on the road and got the P0301 code. My copilot (the wife) did some research and figured out what the code was. I limped home (about 35 miles) with check engine light on. Had the rumble most of the time but occasionally it throttled smoothly.

Took the Cat in to my Dodge dealer and my service coordinator is giving me the VIP treatment. He slid some other work around to get my Cat into a bay ASAP. Now at home standing by to get the full diagnosis. I was able to get my trade in (2013 Charger SRT) as a loaner. That was pretty cool.

Research shows possible bad plugs or possible bad rocker arm. Anyone else have any other info while I wait?

Let me know what you all know about this please.

I will keep the Hellcat family updated on the goings on.

See less See more
Reactions: Vinnerman
#2 ·
Seen this on here before and other boards as well. Just want to share so we can keep the information flowing.

Charger Hellcat delivered on Aug 13. Just went on first long road trip (about 700 miles round trip).

Turn 1500 miles about 45 minutes from home and the car started to rumble/shake when I gave it throttle. After stopping to do a walk around and popping the hood to see what I could see (nothing) I got back on road and the check engine light came on. Ran the onboard diagnostics while on the road and got the P0301 code. My copilot (the wife) did some research and figured out what the code was. I limped home (about 35 miles) with check engine light on. Had the rumble most of the time but occasionally it throttled smoothly.

Took the Cat in to my Dodge dealer and my service coordinator is giving me the VIP treatment. He slid some other work around to get my Cat into a bay ASAP. Now at home standing by to get the full diagnosis. I was able to get my trade in (2013 Charger SRT) as a loaner. That was pretty cool.

Research shows possible bad plugs or possible bad rocker arm. Anyone else have any other info while I wait?

Let me know what you all know about this please.

I will keep the Hellcat family updated on the goings on.
Update from local Dodge Service Center. Cylinder 1 not firing. Oil found in cylinder 3, 5 and 7. Email sent to Chrysler and SRT Tech. Local Dodge told to stand by, do not open the engine any further and SRT will advise further. So.... Standing by.

#4 ·
Oh man...I thought that was your car in the bay yesterday :( I went back there and looked at it and the guy told me the engine was knocking and they may have to replace it. That is a bummer for sure! Definitely since I want to see this beast in action :) One good thing about a stock 707HP car is that it is under warranty...FTW! Hope everything gets worked out quickly.

#7 ·
Yea, that's her. Been there two days now and got the word this morning that it is a definite new motor issue. Thanks for the pics.

#6 ·
So the bad news is now official. I will be waiting for new engine. Chrysler and SRT responded to the local Dodge dealer. They will be sending a crated engine down to be dropped into my Cat. Most likely will not have my car back for the duration of this trip home. The wife will pick it up (again) once the repair is complete.

#10 ·
Yea, it is definitely frustrating. The mechs at my local dealer are doing their part. I called SRT also, they are going to attempt to expedite the process since I head back overseas in a couple of weeks. But best case scenario I'll be down for a week minimum.

I'm glad I haven't voided my warranty yet. I'd be in a nut house from flipping on right now.

#11 ·
According to SRT my new engine is 3 days out. The mechanic at my local Dodge says 1-2 days for install and about 10-15 miles for testing. Been to visit my baby a few times while she awaits her surgery. SRT tells me they pulled an engine which was headed for assembly and shipped it for me. I can appreciate that.... sorry (a little) for the customer that was delayed because I have their engine now.

I very carefully observed the break in period up until just over 400. I pushed it a bit at that point but I know that was not what caused this. SRT plans to break down my old engine to see if they can find the problem. I'm eager to hear what the issue.

#14 ·
So sorry you had this happen but it sounds like SRT is making it right!
This is the reason we are not making any changes or upgrades to our Cat. Would not want to face this type of problem without the warranty.
Question though will the warranty on this motor be from the date it was put in the car or would it go from car purchase date. Just ask the dealer and get it in writing.

#15 ·
So sorry you had this happen but it sounds like SRT is making it right!
This is the reason we are not making any changes or upgrades to our Cat. Would not want to face this type of problem without the warranty.
Question though will the warranty on this motor be from the date it was put in the car or would it go from car purchase date. Just ask the dealer and get it in writing.
from car purchase date/ in service date.

#16 ·
Finally got my cat back yesterday. Not at all happy with the amount of time it took for this repair (SRT fault not dealer service center). They decided that they didn't need to replace the entire engine. Instead they replaced the rocker arms, push rods and lifters. They did break the engine down pretty far in order to check/inspect for other damage. SRT originally told them it would be a total engine swap so that wasted two weeks waiting for the engine to come off the line, get crated and shipping time. Put about 60 miles on it straight out of the shop yesterday and it feels normal. Waiting four weeks to get it back was worse than waiting the 4 months from ordering to delivery because I knew what I missing. I visited several times (as anyone would when you have a family member having surgery ;)). Anyway, she's back and feels as awesome as ever.

#17 ·
Glad your car is up and running. Did you ever get the details on the root cause of the problem?

Thanks for sharing and sorry your car was down but sounds like you are in good shape again!

#18 ·
The root problem was a broken rocker arm. That caused low compression in cylinder 1 which caused the misfiring and gave me the P0301 code. There was no additional breaks but they replaced other parts as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.