SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I haven't looked too hard so I thought I would try here. Is there a way to be in auto and if you are doing a roll race to manually downshift to the safest gear possible, without blowing the engine, and take off but then still stay in auto so it upshifts automatically? Will it allow you to over downshift and redline your rpms? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,876 Posts
Why not use the shifter in M mode? You can bump it over into Auto mode whenever you like.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not use the shifter in M mode? You can bump it over into Auto mode whenever you like.
Yep could do that for sure, I just didn't want to over downshift so I was just curious if there was an "auto" way to downshift to the lowest gear possible without redlining. Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Challenger SRT Hellcat
951 Posts
Hold the “-“ paddle and the car will downshift to the lowest gear possible for the speed you’re going. As long as you have left the shift lever in auto mode, it will upshift on its own at redline. Manual mode is full manual. It will not upshift, just bounce of the rev limiter until you hit the “+” paddle or slide the shift lever back to auto.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hold the “-“ paddle and the car will downshift to the lowest gear possible for the speed you’re going. As long as you have left the shift lever in auto mode, it will upshift on its own at redline. Manual mode is full manual. It will not upshift, just bounce of the rev limiter until you hit the “+” paddle or slide the shift lever back to auto.
Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for! Gonna give it a try

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,129 Posts
What about driving in SPORT and just flooring it when you want? Then it stays in auto.

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,876 Posts
Yep I have done that plenty of times but there have been a few instances it hasn't down shifted for maximum horsepower.
So that then begs the question - if youre letting it decide which gear is optimal anyway, is the decision making process in auto mode different than M paddle mode? In theory wouldnt it end up in the same gear after assessing current conditions, throttle input, etc.? Just wondering how it decides in either mode if they're in fact different. I know i’ve read multiple posts on racing at the strip and many have mentioned using auto mode because it’s faster. Just what ive read and not from experience.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So that then begs the question - if youre letting it decide which gear is optimal anyway, is the decision making process in auto mode different than M paddle mode? In theory wouldnt it end up in the same gear after assessing current conditions, throttle input, etc.? Just wondering how it decides in either mode if they're in fact different. I know i’ve read multiple posts on racing at the strip and many have mentioned using auto mode because it’s faster. Just what ive read and not from experience.
Good question guess I will find out. When I have been in sport mode and floored it there have been a few times it quite didn't downshift as far as it should have and was sluggish compared to what it could have been. So I am just guessing if I hold the "-" paddle down to downshift to lowest gear possible it will be different than just leaving in auto mode. But maybe it won't be no different. Time to find out!

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Widebody Redeye
388 Posts
if you hit the paddle too many times it will tell you "gear not allowed"... or something like that.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alternatively, you can hold down the “+” paddle once you are accelerating and it will go back into full auto mode. Just make sure you hold it and don’t tap it or it will short shift into the next gear.
Thanks. You mentioned once you hold down the "-" it will downshift but stay in auto mode correct? When would you want to hold down the "+" paddle?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
184 Posts
SRTCVO hit the nail on the head on what he said. Also worth mentioning that if you choose that method the car will stay in that lowest gear for only so long say about 20 seconds or so before it decides to upshift on you if you’re not doing anything for a while sitting in that gear too long. So for an example if you’re in a roll race and the other guy is taking forever to set his car up for the roll run or doesn’t know what he’s doing and you have to wait for him then it’s best to throw the shifter in manual mode and hold the left paddle down till the car shifts to it’s lowest appropriate gear and then whenever you guys take off smash the gas and then quickly throw the shifter back into auto so that it will automatically upshift for you.

This method would be most efficient that way you’re in full control of being in that lowest gear without it upshifting on you waiting for the other dude. Also those times where you just simply floored it and the car didn’t shift down to a lower gear can cost you in a race but if you wanted the car to be more responsive just for simple sake of maybe maneuvering around traffic easier then you could just tap the gas pedal once or twice and it will drop a gear or so and raise rpms up for a few seconds give or take. By the way OP go big or go home crank it up a notch and switch the transmission in TRACK instead of sport and you will really feel that car.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
184 Posts
Thanks. You mentioned once you hold down the "-" it will downshift but stay in auto mode correct? When would you want to hold down the "+" paddle?

Correct and when you’re done with your roll race or whenever you’re nailing the gas for fun on your own when trying out these methods explained above, then you hold down the plus paddle and the car will then go back up in higher gears and calm down like it's back to normal and show “D” . You will see once you experiment and play with the car.

·
Registered
388 Posts
if you hit the paddle too many times it will tell you "gear not allowed"... or something like that.
Only when you downshift. Upshifting too much will do nothing but bog you down and the car will let you. However, the car will protect itself from downshifting too many gears.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I usually drive in M mode. When I'm getting on it I'll feather through 1st gear and smash it into auto once i shift it to 2nd..... you will not be able to hit shifts in M like Auto can.

I do this because I find that the TC doesn't work well enough with these cars and their power. I've been able to run better times foot braking than using the launch control.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I usually drive in M mode. When I'm getting on it I'll feather through 1st gear and smash it into auto once i shift it to 2nd..... you will not be able to hit shifts in M like Auto can.

I do this because I find that the TC doesn't work well enough with these cars and their power. I've been able to run better times foot braking than using the launch control.
Good to know thanks!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SRTCVO hit the nail on the head on what he said. Also worth mentioning that if you choose that method the car will stay in that lowest gear for only so long say about 20 seconds or so before it decides to upshift on you if you’re not doing anything for a while sitting in that gear too long. So for an example if you’re in a roll race and the other guy is taking forever to set his car up for the roll run or doesn’t know what he’s doing and you have to wait for him then it’s best to throw the shifter in manual mode and hold the left paddle down till the car shifts to it’s lowest appropriate gear and then whenever you guys take off smash the gas and then quickly throw the shifter back into auto so that it will automatically upshift for you.

This method would be most efficient that way you’re in full control of being in that lowest gear without it upshifting on you waiting for the other dude. Also those times where you just simply floored it and the car didn’t shift down to a lower gear can cost you in a race but if you wanted the car to be more responsive just for simple sake of maybe maneuvering around traffic easier then you could just tap the gas pedal once or twice and it will drop a gear or so and raise rpms up for a few seconds give or take. By the way OP go big or go home crank it up a notch and switch the transmission in TRACK instead of sport and you will really feel that car.
On the method you are recommending the shifter is in manual correct? The method SRTCVO was to leave it in auto, correct but it will upshift after 20 seconds is that correct? Just making sure I understand correctly. I had a Tesla barreling down on me one time so once it got close I floored it and we stayed even for a second then easily took it. Good times

1 - 20 of 29 Posts