SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Paint corrosion on the hood

7K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  Skrelnik 
#1 ·
Has anyone had to deal with their cat hood corrosion? I bought mine new in 16’ and this year it just started. Not sure if I should bother trying to get a hood if that’s even possible. Let me know what your opinion on what to do is. Much appreciated
Cloud Sky Water Hood Automotive lighting

See less See more
#6 ·
2.2 Corrosion Warranty
A. Who Is Covered?
You are covered if you are a purchaser for use of the
vehicle.
B. What’s Covered
This warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor
needed to repair or replace any sheet metal panels that
get holes from rust or other corrosion. If a hole occurs
because of something other than corrosion, this warranty
does not apply. Cosmetic or surface corrosion — resulting,
for example, from stone chips or scratches in the
paint — is not covered. For more details on what isn’t
covered by this warranty, see 3.5.
C. How Long It Lasts
The Corrosion Warranty starts when your Basic Limited
Warranty begins under 2.1(E).
This warranty has two time-and-mileage limits:
• For sheet metal panels, the limit is 36 months, with no
mileage limit.
WHAT’S COVERED UNDER FCA US LLC’S WARRANTIES
• For an outer-body sheet metal panel — one that is
finish-painted and that someone can see when walking
around the vehicle — the limits are 5 years or unlimited
miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first.
D. What’s Not Covered
Please note that while the standard Corrosion Limited
Warranty applies to defects in material and/or workmanship,
it does not cover the vehicle’s matte finish appearance
(if equipped).
Maintaining the matte finish appearance is solely the
responsibility of the vehicle owner as described in your
Owner’s Manual.

#10 ·
Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Product Font Screenshot Automotive design Electronic device

#11 ·
We have a Jeep Wrangler JL and these issues are very common on the doors and hinges. With the aluminum doors they have a primer bonding issue and I took my jeep in with this problem on most of the doors. FCA authorized the repairs and a dealership repainted all the doors and hinges. 5 year unlimited mileage is in fact the warranty for outer panels.

#12 ·
OP, I would take it to the dealer if you still have the 5 year warranty, if not a paint shop can repair & paint for you.

#15 ·
14 and earlier had issues with rust in the rear quarters. Ma Mopar would never pony up for this one. I know some folks got it fixed under some "good will" deals. I would start at the dealer and see if it goes anywhere. If not then any body shop worth a crap can fix this with not much effort. I think it may be just the primer failure but you may have some corrision as well.

#16 ·
I dealt with it earlier this year. They, obviously, just wanted to strip & repaint my hood. However, I wanted a completely new hood. I got a new hood & painted at a local dealer.
It was a bit of a battle, but I got what I was happy with and I did not resort to getting rude, threats, etc.

Beware, paint won't be as good as the factory paint...

#20 ·
I had EXACTLY the same paint bubble in the same corner on my black 2015 HC at 77k miles. I am the original owner with 2 miles on it when I took delivery. Paint problem began to show up about 5 1/2 years after assembly and delivery to me. I read on this website conversations about this problem. I went to my dealer and showed them the problem. They referred me to their body shop. They looked at it and told me there have been quite a few problems showing up on these HC's, apparently these hoods are aluminum, not steel. Told me to go back to the dealer and the dealer would get an authorization from Dodge to repair the problem free of charge. Dodge also gave me a free loaner (NOT a Hellcat LOL) for the 6 days it was in the shop. Repaint was done 5 months ago and, so far, no problems. Still looks just right. Dealer told me that they alone had have 5 or 6 aluminum hood warranty repaints this summer, I wasn't the first. So, although you may be out of warranty, apparently Dodge is doing the right thing and not being a stickler on warranty details. Good luck, don't let the dealer try to stick you on this. You paid a lot of money for this car, it's not a $15k Dodge Dart!

#22 ·
I hate to break the news, but corrosion repairs on aluminum hoods always come back, always.
It is just a waiting game.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.