SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a Hellcat Redeye Widebody and I want to get PPF installed when it is delivered. I read a lot on here and asked people I know. The consensus is to find a good installer first and then worry about the brand of film. I found reputable installers in my area and all of them do XPEL. I found one installer that does XPEL and SunTek about 3.5 hours away and it looks like most prefer SunTek on a dark color. Mine will be black. One concern I have with using a shop farther away is repairs or something needs to be redone. So is it worth the extra drive to have my car done in SunTek or use an XPEL installer near me that would be easier if repairs/rework needs to be done?

The areas I want to have it installed are:
  1. Entire front of the car including:
  2. Bumper
  3. Headlights
  4. Mirrors
  5. Around all fenders
  6. Full hood
  7. A-pillars
Areas I'm debating:
  1. Trunk ledge
  2. Door cup
  3. One of the installers recommended doing 10” up from the rockers just behind the front and rear tires
Any other spots anyone recommends? I was thinking maybe around the edges of the roof or at least the front edge of the roof as well.

These areas I'm debating because I don't want to see seams. I just hate that. I had my last Charger trunk ledge done and could see where the film stopped and hated it. Most installers tend to say you will see some seams in the areas I'm debating doing and was curious if anyone has these areas done, what they think and how do they look.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody Indigo Blue with Graphics Package
1,242 Posts
I have Xpel and it's awesome. Make sure they do all the paint correction before install. Also, get a set of mud flaps on ASAP and do the front of the rear flairs in PPF, you might even consider having 2 layers of PPF on the front half of rear flairs. The amount of dings you'll be getting is ridiculous.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody Indigo Blue with Graphics Package
1,242 Posts
No, after OCDing for months before I got my car I ended up with SWAIM (I think that's how it's spelled). They offer a little more protection and are fastened much better than the ZL1. Oh and they look good to boot.. Like I said PPF and flairs are really important. I only have 300 miles on my car and even with flairs and PPF the rear fenders are taking a beating and the only thing saving the paint is the double layer PPF on the front part of the rear. I was shocked and a little sickened when I saw it what happened after using due diligence to take care of everything before even driving it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate it. I’ll look into the Swaim and ZL1s. I hate the way it looks from pictures, but sounds like these cars need them even if you do one or two coats of PPF right behind the wheels.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I did Xpel on the front clip (everything from the windshield forward) as well as on the mirrors and 8” up on the rockers and then had the entire car ceramic coated (Modesto). I am seriously planning on taking the car back next spring and having Xpel done on the rest of the car, I like it that much. I also have Mopar mud guards.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just expensive to do the whole car. I’ve had two shops quote and they’re extremely high. I’ve heard good things about Modesta. Only installer for me is about 3 hours for that brand. Most use Ceramic Pro around me but I wasn’t a big fan of it on my last car.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Your post got me thinking about doing the rest of the car now since it only has about 250 miles on it and needed zero paint correction when the Xpel work was done about three weeks ago and I just shot en email to the shop requesting a price. I also like the suggestion about double Xpel on the rockers so I asked about that. The shop said they used to use C-Quartz but switched to Modesto, they had nothing bad to say about C-Quartz but they just felt that Modesto was a better product. If you go on Xpel's website you can look up approved installers in your area, that's how I found my shop. The shop also invited me to come to their shop and see their facility and work before I committed.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
118 Posts
My car has Xpel on the front bumper and wheel flairs along with zl1 mud flaps. The whole car is ceramic pro and love it. Thinking of doing the whole hood and front flairs as well. Really worth doing to these cars.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
909 Posts
I have the 3m brand "clear bra" on mine , full front clip and 10" down the side. And yes, in the right light I can see the seam down the side. Behind the rear wheel they followed the seam and ended around the back bumper a little. To me It's worth seeing the seam to save the chips. I dont't like it but,,,,,, Also, some installers machine cut the panels and there are little gaps around everything, Mine does it all by hand, like a wrap. I had to dvive 180 miles to get mine done and I've had no issues in three years. I'd go to whomever you feel will do the best job (or brand you prefer). I don't know if dark color would show a seam more but mine is granite crystal. Enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
909 Posts
Your post got me thinking about doing the rest of the car now since it only has about 250 miles on it and needed zero paint correction when the Xpel work was done about three weeks ago and I just shot en email to the shop requesting a price. I also like the suggestion about double Xpel on the rockers so I asked about that. The shop said they used to use C-Quartz but switched to Modesto, they had nothing bad to say about C-Quartz but they just felt that Modesto was a better product. If you go on Xpel's website you can look up approved installers in your area, that's how I found my shop. The shop also invited me to come to their shop and see their facility and work before I committed.
Good point on looking at the shop. Mine also invited me for a tour. It was super clean and organized and had a couple high end cars like a porsche and cts-v caddy being worked on. Helped earn my confidence!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just took my Swaim guards out and unboxed them to fit them up to my 2020 Super Stock and they do not fit at all. Anyone want the set I have? If so, make me an offer. They are brand new and still in the box. PM me if so.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
716 Posts
I have Xpel on my front fascia and mirrors. I don't like it. But, I live in Florida. It protects from bugs and such just fine, but we have pollen down here. So much so, that a black car can be decidedly yellow just from sitting in the parking lot while you're at work. That pollen gets into the seams of the film, so you get let with a noticeable line where the film starts and is difficult to near impossible to remove, even after washing it. I imagine I'll leave it on for a year or two to get my $600 worth, and then have it removed because it makes the car look bad.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
716 Posts
You get what you pay for.
Eh, I got the best PPF on the market. I only got the front end of the car done because I'm not worried about side impact bugs and rock strikes. I'm glad I didn't get the rest done because I don't think I'd be able to stomach the look of it in Florida weather.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts