SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2019 black Charger HC and wow does it ever scratch easy.

I'm in Canada, it snowed late into spring last year and I was carefully removing the snow off my hood. I guess there was abit of dirt in the snow or on the car... You guessed it! it left a scratch in the clear coat. Every time I wash the car I notice a new scratch. Mind you I seem to be the only one that notices them, but it bothers me so much that it scratches so easily. I've never had this problem with any of my other vehicles.

Has any one else run into this?

I got it ceramic coated hoping this will resolve it.

CHARGER 1.jpg

·
Have Guns Will Travel
2019 Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye - 2015 Challenger Hellcat
6,014 Posts
The paint on these cars is thinner than a red c**t hair. Black cars are the worse. They show every little minor abnormality.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the quick reply guys ! I thought I was the only one going crazy over this.. its a little discouraging to say the least lol.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,156 Posts
Soft n thin is the word on the street! the paint bots are stingy when they’re not drunk! It is what it is I guess

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
398 Posts
My ZL1 is black, it was awful in terms of showing EVERYTHING...

I said never again when I previously bought a black car but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on the ZL1. However, never again will I ever buy a black painted vehicle. Not with this god awful water paint....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feel the same way.. I've always had white vehicles.. couldn't pass up this deal on the charger and figured it would be a nice change... well never again. I'm considering just getting it wrapped, then I don't have to worry about.. but living in where I am there's no one around that can wrap vehicles.

not sure if you can see in the back of my avatar is my white C7 corvette. it was fun washing and detailing that car.. never saw any scratches.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
213 Posts
I deliberately went grey with my 'cat. Half of the time you can't even see dirt on it.

Previous Charger was black. And yeah, an endless time-soak to keep looking gorgeous.

Reactions: DoubleD

·
Registered
312 Posts
More than the paint been thin.....its a common thing with black cars. Torred is a great finish. Looks great cleaned up and its not hard to keep looking good. I thought of getting white but dont regret getting red.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Been here with Black. Trust me, black is the best color. You have a beautiful car. Only you see the scratches, nobody else. Enjoy it, learn some quick and easy detail and buffer tricks and just have fun. Otherwise you will go crazy.

I'm in Canada, it snowed late into spring last year and I was carefully removing the snow off my hood. I guess there was abit of dirt in the snow or on the car... You guessed it! it left a scratch in the clear coat. Every time I wash the car I notice a new scratch. Mind you I seem to be the only one that notices them, but it bothers me so much that it scratches so easily. I've never had this problem with any of my other vehicles.

View attachment 569357

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
509 Posts

View attachment 569357
It looks great! I've owned multiple black cars with the last one being a 2003 Viper which I sold. As almost everyone here says, it's normal for the paint to show scratches. That said, I'm not going to put myself through owning another black vehicle because I'm not feeling the joy of the additional OCD that is necessary to keep it looking good. PPF helps. So does the following:
1. Using a 2 bucket wash system. One for clean water and one to rinse.
2. Using a quality gas or electric leaf blower to dry it
3. If you are going to dry it with towels, use quality microfibre drying towels (Eagle Edgeless comes to mind). Stay clear of using those blades for wiping water or chamois. One grain of sand gets caught in them and you have multiple scratches.
4. Absolutely don't run it through any car washes unless it's brushless and I would even avoid them.
5. If you are considering using a California duster, use it carefully and don't press it down while moving it across the car. Lightly touch it on the surface (cool surface) and only use for very light dust. Even using them correctly, you run the risk of some minor scratches. Use them wrong and on a dirty car and you might as well run it through a cheese grater.

Once you have went through the paint correction process, it's usually a combination of bad wash/dry techniques that cause most of the scratches. Yes, you can buff out minor scratches with the right compounds and buffer but you don't have an infinite amount of clear coat to keep buffing the scratches out with.
Your car looks sharp. Enjoy it and try not to obsess about imperfections in the paint.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It looks great! I've owned multiple black cars with the last one being a 2003 Viper which I sold. As almost everyone here says, it's normal for the paint to show scratches. That said, I'm not going to put myself through owning another black vehicle because I'm not feeling the joy of the additional OCD that is necessary to keep it looking good. PPF helps. So does the following:
1. Using a 2 bucket wash system. One for clean water and one to rinse.
2. Using a quality gas or electric leaf blower to dry it
3. If you are going to dry it with towels, use quality microfibre drying towels (Eagle Edgeless comes to mind). Stay clear of using those blades for wiping water or chamois. One grain of sand gets caught in them and you have multiple scratches.
4. Absolutely don't run it through any car washes unless it's brushless and I would even avoid them.
5. If you are considering using a California duster, use it carefully and don't press it down while moving it across the car. Lightly touch it on the surface (cool surface) and only use for very light dust. Even using them correctly, you run the risk of some minor scratches. Use them wrong and on a dirty car and you might as well run it through a cheese grater.

Once you have went through the paint correction process, it's usually a combination of bad wash/dry techniques that cause most of the scratches. Yes, you can buff out minor scratches with the right compounds and buffer but you don't have an infinite amount of clear coat to keep buffing the scratches out with.
Your car looks sharp. Enjoy it and try not to obsess about imperfections in the paint.
those are great tips.
I did a ton of research last year on how to properly wash the vehicle. You pretty much named all of them.
you're absolutely right, most of my scratches now are from me washing and rushing the process... Thinking back on how I washed my white vehicles is somewhat concerning, they must of been loaded with scratches. Single bucket, never rinse my washing mitt, drying it with a beach towel. Lucky I never did that with the charger. Like you guys mentioned I got to get over the OCD of keeping it looking good and just enjoy it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts