SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, just in the middle of getting my first 2016 Hellcat. Well my first fast car of any kind really. Started out looking for an older scat pack to play with and be reliable on my days off and after a long search of nothing but beat up cars and red flags, I finally gave in and looked at the last automatic Hellcat in the 500km radius. I was steering away at first but glad I went this was the best kept car I seen in all my travels. Totally stock besides a mid muffler delete with some not so pretty welding but that’s ok. Someone definitely loved this thing!
Anyways while I’m here saying hi. I thought I would get a couple questions outta the way. First I guess I should say it’s 30,000km on that car and they are just putting a catch can on it now, think that does any harm leaving it that long? Also getting a little 3m film in some spots till I can get the ceramic coat. One thing I kinda want a straight answer on is what should I do to try and achieve the 717hp of the newer ones? There’s so many videos going one way or any other I just want the set up that gets me there and still let’s me drive in the rain if I have to haha
Other than that any ideas on how to keep this thing purring for as long as possible?
thanks everyone glad to be here

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel Plant

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Car Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Sky

Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Vehicle Speedometer Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice !! Congrats !! Screw that black paint here in TX !! Sold my rare 21 scatWB4dr for my white SloCat
I just seen you either on YouTube or on the challenger forum I think? And ya it wasn’t the first color as I’m super picky. But hey they took care of it and I got ventilated seats and remote start I will live.

· Registered
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye
157 Posts
Hey everyone, just in the middle of getting my first 2016 Hellcat. Well my first fast car of any kind really. Started out looking for an older scat pack to play with and be reliable on my days off and after a long search of nothing but beat up cars and red flags, I finally gave in and looked at the last automatic Hellcat in the 500km radius. I was steering away at first but glad I went this was the best kept car I seen in all my travels. Totally stock besides a mid muffler delete with some not so pretty welding but that’s ok. Someone definitely loved this thing!
Anyways while I’m here saying hi. I thought I would get a couple questions outta the way. First I guess I should say it’s 30,000km on that car and they are just putting a catch can on it now, think that does any harm leaving it that long? Also getting a little 3m film in some spots till I can get the ceramic coat. One thing I kinda want a straight answer on is what should I do to try and achieve the 717hp of the newer ones? There’s so many videos going one way or any other I just want the set up that gets me there and still let’s me drive in the rain if I have to haha
Other than that any ideas on how to keep this thing purring for as long as possible?
thanks everyone glad to be here

View attachment 601967
View attachment 601966
View attachment 601969
View attachment 601968
View attachment 601971
View attachment 601972
View attachment 601970
View attachment 601965
View attachment 601964
That is definitely a clean 2016! One thing I can tell you is that there has been people who’ve said that their supercharger bearings fail in the older model HCs (2015,2016 model year). I’m sure there are older posts on the forum explaining this, just to give you some insight

· Registered
1,450 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and Congrats on your new to you ride. If you have the CarFax report it may show where the Super Charger was done under warranty. If not this will be the one area to keep an eye on. Respect the car and get to know your car first. Don't worry the mod bug will bit you soon enough LOL

· Premium Member
15 TorRed Challenger Ordered 23 Sublime REWBJB Ordered 23 Rapid Blue ZL1 1LE
521 Posts
^^Yes. Just drive the car for a bit. The 707 is a handful as it is. I bought my 2015 in April with no mods at all. My focus has been on getting traction down and learning the drive modes. You can get in trouble quick assuming the car reacts the same in track, sport etc. I have figured out my favorite settings and now feel like I can get close to the cars potential power.
BTW, I ran car with the HP output on the dash in track mode using the paddle shifters. My car showed 717 HP in 3rd gear WOT around 6,100 RPM.
IF, big if, I decide to mod the car this would be the plan, in order.
1. change drive shaft, add a differential brace.
2. Get 25 mm offset 10.5 replica back wheels and run 305s. I have Mickey Thompson street comps on now and they are a HUGE improvement over junk Pzeros
3. Change cold air intake. Lots of threads on this site. I am leaning towards a Legmaker (LMI). Small HP gain, big change/gain in the SC whine.
4. Upper pulley. Now requires a tune. The concern being for our older cars already mentioned is spinning the supercharger faster wears the bearing faster. Be prepared to replace.
5. Lower pulley, pin crank. See above. I would probably just get the SC optimized at this point as well. Retune.

With these mods should be into RedEye numbers. Be careful just chasing numbers though. You need to make the car able to handle it. That's why traction and drive train FIRST mods IMHO.

Nice car and Congrats!

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I took a second look at the car fax last night and there was no record of this for the last 3 years and 20,000km. Which means hopefully the oil changes and stuff.. he did himself or at home. Was also able to see the lien on there and it was a 23 year old kid. Now ya don’t know what to think but definitely nothing about supercharger bearings. Ugh I hate the whole buying used. The idea of buying this thing and it’s secretly a piece of shit is haunting me. On the other hand I have the 10k per visit coverage one warranty.. I’m sure they can handle some abuse no? The hack job on the mid muffler removal worries me to I dunno what to think anymore: some signs point to being loved, cheap exhaust and no service records and the lien worry me, the lien is getting taken care of Bybit he dealer obviously

· Premium Member
521 Posts
These cars can handle being run hard. They are tough as nails. I wouldn’t worry too much about the SC if it isn’t making any strange noises now. If all you can do right now, like me, is buy used you will always have to think about how it’s been treated. The lack of documented oil changes would concern me a bit I guess but honestly most people here do their own OC since no one trusts the lot boys to not joy ride these cars. With a warranty I would buy it and have fun dude.

· HOTM Winner
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
12,667 Posts
Catch can is a point of contention. Plenty, actually the majority, of owners dont bother and their cars are fine. Nothing wrong with doing it but I wouldnt be thinking a car without one is at risk.
Lack of documented oil changes wouldnt scare me much. Not everyone wants to spend time at the dealer and not all shops report service. Maybe the kid did them himself.
Hacked exhaust would piss me off but it wouldnt be a deal breaker. I usually steer clear of modded cars but If that was the only mod I could live with it, I would just go back to stock. Sounds better stock anyway.
2016 got an upgraded drive shaft so dont worry there. SC bearing failures were not as widespread as you may be led to believe. The vast majority are fine. I had a 2016 for four years, zero bearing issues. The number of failures wasnt actually as big as it seems on the Internet. For every failure posted there are hundreds of non-failures that are not posted. Happy people don’t complain.

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^Yes. Just drive the car for a bit. The 707 is a handful as it is. I bought my 2015 in April with no mods at all. My focus has been on getting traction down and learning the drive modes. You can get in trouble quick assuming the car reacts the same in track, sport etc. I have figured out my favorite settings and now feel like I can get close to the cars potential power.
BTW, I ran car with the HP output on the dash in track mode using the paddle shifters. My car showed 717 HP in 3rd gear WOT around 6,100 RPM.
IF, big if, I decide to mod the car this would be the plan, in order.
1. change drive shaft, add a differential brace.
2. Get 25 mm offset 10.5 replica back wheels and run 305s. I have Mickey Thompson street comps on now and they are a HUGE improvement over junk Pzeros
3. Change cold air intake. Lots of threads on this site. I am leaning towards a Legmaker (LMI). Small HP gain, big change/gain in the SC whine.
4. Upper pulley. Now requires a tune. The concern being for our older cars already mentioned is spinning the supercharger faster wears the bearing faster. Be prepared to replace.
5. Lower pulley, pin crank. See above. I would probably just get the SC optimized at this point as well. Retune.

With these mods should be into RedEye numbers. Be careful just chasing numbers though. You need to make the car able to handle it. That's why traction and drive train FIRST mods IMHO.

Nice car and Congrats!
I actually put up a whole post about the drive modes last night. I want them to get set back to factory as well as how they tweak it with the launch mode. Then I can see it how it was meant to be instead of some other guys setting or a test drive customers.. once I got it like that I can maybe tweak it a little down the line. You don’t know how to go in and reset those eh? I’m not buying it at a dodge dealer so they’re a little lost

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe follow the owner's manual too. Extended warranty also, if you want things covered. 10K per visit?????? Rubles I hope.......... 😁
Yea it’s a third party warranty. I researched the company and couldn’t find a bad thing said about them. It’s also why it’s double the cost I think haha. I’m all about piece of mind tho

· Premium Member
521 Posts
I actually put up a whole post about the drive modes last night. I want them to get set back to factory as well as how they tweak it with the launch mode. Then I can see it how it was meant to be instead of some other guys setting or a test drive customers.. once I got it like that I can maybe tweak it a little down the line. You don’t know how to go in and reset those eh? I’m not buying it at a dodge dealer so they’re a little lost
Just hit the SRT button on dash. Track, sport, and street are preset. You can also hit the custom mode on the screen and set your custom settings. Also you can set the default from the screen so when you start the car it is on your default setting automatically

· Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,210 Posts
Congrats! That sure is purty..

I put 60k miles on my 2016, it was a charger but the important stuff is the same. That poor car took about as hard a street beating as I have ever dealt. I replaced one coil pack and did the brakes. Otherwise she was as rock solid. Zero SC or DS issues.

My experience is that if the paint, body and the interior are maintained and in good condition, the car was loved. As long as there isn't signs of bodywork of coarse.

I've known some young dudes to be the most diligent and dedicated car enthusiasts around. Thanks to some top notch Dads/Brothers/Uncles/Moms (Linda), which I surmise was most likely part of this equation, for him to score such a car with only 23 summers under his belt.

My humble opinion is, forget about the ten horses and find an obsession for tires and traction. I've been absent for a while, so there will be some more up to date info here. But I found a set of 555's on the rear to be the best gain for the money.

Give em hell!

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just hit the SRT button on dash. Track, sport, and street are preset. You can also hit the custom mode on the screen and set your custom settings. Also you can set the default from the screen so when you start the car it is on your default setting automatically
They don’t stay the way someone changes then you mean? Like if I change a couple things in sport. Shut the car off and come back to sport my changes aren’t gonna be there?

· Registered
'23 Redeye Jailbreak
4,813 Posts
So I took a second look at the car fax last night and there was no record of this for the last 3 years and 20,000km. Which means hopefully the oil changes and stuff.. he did himself or at home. Was also able to see the lien on there and it was a 23 year old kid. Now ya don’t know what to think but definitely nothing about supercharger bearings. Ugh I hate the whole buying used. The idea of buying this thing and it’s secretly a piece of shit is haunting me. On the other hand I have the 10k per visit coverage one warranty.. I’m sure they can handle some abuse no? The hack job on the mid muffler removal worries me to I dunno what to think anymore: some signs point to being loved, cheap exhaust and no service records and the lien worry me, the lien is getting taken care of Bybit he dealer obviously
One does not buy a used Hellcat without PAYING AN INDEPENDENT, NON-DEALERSHIP shop to fully inspect the vehicle prior to sale.

Take it to a shop that has advanced diagnostic equipment that can see the TC history, current/hidden codes. Pay very close attention to the status of the rotors and brake pads ($4,000 job, give or take if all rotors and pads need replacing). Lastly, I wouldn't buy a '15 or a '16 without an extended warranty as they have a high rate of supercharger, driveshaft, and rear end failure. None of which are cheap to fix.

· Registered
Challenger SRT 392
9,271 Posts
They don’t stay the way someone changes then you mean? Like if I change a couple things in sport. Shut the car off and come back to sport my changes aren’t gonna be there?
You can set up a Custom mode, put everything like you like it then can save it to Custom and then anytime you get in the car just have to quickly doubletap the SRT button and it will go right to it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

· HOTM Winner
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
12,667 Posts
Every time you get in and start the car it will default to Street. Just set up the Custom mode how you like it - in my case Trans in Track everything else Street. When you start the car just double tap the SRT button and it will go right into Custom mode.

Reactions: PurrKitty
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.