SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always hated the yellow splitter guards.. Then they made them pink! When I took delivery of my 21 WB Hellcat charger, I told the dealer to remove the guard. I wrapped it in black vinyl. I like the idea of it, not the colour. After reinstalling, it's hardly noticeable...

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Charger Hellcat
2,506 Posts
You will be sorry if you ever remove them, your splitter will be trashed, it will look like someone was using course sandpaper on them.
I can confirm that that can happen even when new. Bought mine new & the protectors already damaged my paint. Likely b/c the car sat on the lot for months before I bought it

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
239 Posts
I'll keep an eye on it.
How? By frequently removing them, checking underneath the foam, discovering ever-increasing damage and stopping using them after some depressing threshold of damage has been reached? Your car, but the splitter guards aren't designed to deal with a scratching even when loading or unloading a transport truck. They're not designed for long-term use. You'd be far better off using protective film.

But okay... ignore the collective wisdom of the community who have already tried this.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How? By frequently removing them, checking underneath the foam, discovering ever-increasing damage and stopping using them after some depressing threshold of damage has been reached? Your car, but the splitter guards aren't designed to deal with a scratching even when loading or unloading a transport truck. They're not designed for long-term use. You'd be far better off using protective film.

But okay... ignore the collective wisdom of the community who have already tried this.
Thanks for your concern, but I can probably guess that 99% of the people that left the splitter on, did just that...left it on. It's hard plastic rubbing on a painted surface. No brainer. I work in the automotive restoration industry. I have quite a bit of resources at my disposal. I didn't use some cheap home depot foam. It's automotive grade foam used in new vehicle construction designed to last a lifetime. The splitter is not touching the paint anywhere. Dirt will collect there, no doubt. Won't effect anything. The Charger's splitter is one piece with large holes to clear the small 7mm bolts. I used larger diameter washers to add extra security so the splitter doesn't move. I really don't believe it'll hurt anything...but who knows. The only reason I did this is to protect the front lip in case that one time I'm not paying attention and catch a parking block...Just put it out there incase somebody was thinking about trying this.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
49 Posts
Actually not a bad idea if you have all of your bases covered to prevent/reduce the scuffs after removal someday. Besides the scuffs that can be buffed out from the splitter are better than the scratches from the scraping going up elevated driveways I'd say.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually not a bad idea if you have all of your bases covered to prevent/reduce the scuffs after removal someday. Besides the scuffs that can be buffed out from the splitter are better than the scratches from the scraping going up elevated driveways I'd say.
That's the reasoning behind the madness!

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
239 Posts
Thanks for your concern, but I can probably guess that 99% of the people that left the splitter on, did just that...left it on. It's hard plastic rubbing on a painted surface. No brainer. I work in the automotive restoration industry. I have quite a bit of resources at my disposal. I didn't use some cheap home depot foam. It's automotive grade foam used in new vehicle construction designed to last a lifetime. The splitter is not touching the paint anywhere. Dirt will collect there, no doubt. Won't effect anything. The Charger's splitter is one piece with large holes to clear the small 7mm bolts. I used larger diameter washers to add extra security so the splitter doesn't move. I really don't believe it'll hurt anything...but who knows. The only reason I did this is to protect the front lip in case that one time I'm not paying attention and catch a parking block...Just put it out there incase somebody was thinking about trying this.
Okay, cool. Sounds like you're not the usual bozo who just sticks random stuff underneath. The funny thing is that personally I don't mind the look of the guards. They're sort of like the random stripes so many people like. It's the physical issues that bother me. As long as you've addressed them, more power to you.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
1,194 Posts
Dirt will collect there, no doubt.
And because the "guard" is ill fitting, because it's just meant for transport, it flops around and that dirt will rub the paint.

On the short drive home with mine on, there were some fine scratches from the dirt/debris that was caught/sitting in it.

Like it was already said, it's your car....I'm just telling you my experience

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And because the "guard" is ill fitting, because it's just meant for transport, it flops around and that dirt will rub the paint.

On the short drive home with mine on, there were some fine scratches from the dirt/debris that was caught/sitting in it.

Like it was already said, it's your car....I'm just telling you my experience
My guard was removed before delivery. As for fitment, mine is really nice. It has a nice snug fit and follows the bumper line perfectly. As stated before, I prepped the splitter before reinstallation. It's not touching the paint and added extra large washers along the rear. There is no play between the guard and bumper. My point of this post was to let people know that it can be used effectively. I just put some thought into it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts