SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lease is up in June. As of now, I want to buy the car & keep it. However, A) life happens & a lot can change in a few months... B) I like to do my due diligence as ya never know what other cars you might fall in love with...

-It's my daily driver all year (Including winter) so if I'm paying big $ again, it will have to take over DD duties. Does not have to be 4 doors either.
-I know nothing else is going to be at this HP level so that's not a requirement. However, it has to be fast. That means I likely would not be happy with anything slower than mid 12s or so,
-If it's new, it will be lease only. It's extremely rare for me to keep cars long enough for it to make sense to buy new. That leads to the next point if new...HC lease is $679 per mo so same or less money. Zero down again as well.
-My search can include used cars sub $50k, but at a max of the same price point as my HC buy price which is $44k. Obviouly, this price limit does not apply for new.

Any ideas or suggestions on what cars I should consider?

Reactions: WVHEMIS

·
Registered
245 Posts
I sold my Challenger and I am in the same boat. I daily drive my 2013 BMW 335i, which is a vey nice car but I don't like it nearly as much as driving my Hellcat daily.

I've read a lot of reviews and driven a few cars but have not been impressed as of yet. I thought I would end up in an F80 M3, which seemed like it was going to be a great daily, but it feels relatively underwhelming after driving the Hellcat. It also isn't nearly as good for a long trip (lots of road noise and relatively stiff suspensions, even with the adaptive suspension set to comfort). I'll probably look at some AMG Merc sedans and a CTS-V, but I have a strange feeling I'll end back up in a Hellcat.

My Hellcat was a car I loved to drive daily and I also want to drive across the country. Haven't found another vehicle that makes me feel like that, yet. Following to see what other opinions you'll get.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sold my Challenger and I am in the same boat. I daily drive my 2013 BMW 335i, which is a vey nice car but I don't like it nearly as much as driving my Hellcat daily.

I've read a lot of reviews and driven a few cars but have not been impressed as of yet. I thought I would end up in an F80 M3, which seemed like it was going to be a great daily, but it feels relatively underwhelming after driving the Hellcat. It also isn't nearly as good for a long trip (lots of road noise and relatively stiff suspensions, even with the adaptive suspension set to comfort). I'll probably look at some AMG Merc sedans and a CTS-V, but I have a strange feeling I'll end back up in a Hellcat.

My Hellcat was a car I loved to drive daily and I also want to drive across the country. Haven't found another vehicle that makes me feel like that, yet. Following to see what other opinions you'll get.
I considered the M3/M4 as well in 2018 when I ended up in the HC. They wanted $800+ per mo on a lease. That was a hard pass for me. I would consider the current V, but not the last gen due to the outdated interior & trans. I think I'd have to mod the M4 to be truly happy with it & we know that is not cheap at all & there goes warranty. Owning a BMW with no warranty? I don't know I could do it lol

I sold my Miata last month so the HC is now my only car so I have to keep it or get something. ;)

·
Registered
Charger Hellcat
100 Posts
I will put this out there since I don't think a lot of people know about this platform, its the M113K drive train from Mercedes Benz. The AMG's with this drivetrain are the following:

2003-2006 E55 AMG
2003-2006 SL55 AMG
2006 CLS55 AMG
2003-2006 S55 AMG
2003-2006 CL55 AMG

These are 5.5 litre V8 Supercharged AMG motors with a 722.4 or 722.6 transmission making 500HP bone stock. They are over engineered master pieces and have being in that platform for the past 10 years. Now days, they range in price from under $10K to around $17K depending on miles and maintenance. Basically the same mods as our hellcats, with just a pulley, headers, injectors and a tune, they run low 11's and some have dipped into the 10's with those mods. They make amazing daily drivers, and a true wolf in sheep's clothing for a great price. Maintenance costs on certain models are very reasonable too.

Here a video of me taking is to a ZR1 Vette in the 1/4 mile :)

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will put this out there since I don't think a lot of people know about this platform, its the M113K drive train from Mercedes Benz. The AMG's with this drivetrain are the following:

2003-2006 E55 AMG
2003-2006 SL55 AMG
2006 CLS55 AMG
2003-2006 S55 AMG
2003-2006 CL55 AMG

These are 5.5 litre V8 Supercharged AMG motors with a 722.4 or 722.6 transmission making 500HP bone stock. They are over engineered master pieces and have being in that platform for the past 10 years. Now days, they range in price from under $10K to around $17K depending on miles and maintenance. Basically the same mods as our hellcats, with just a pulley, headers, injectors and a tune, they run low 11's and some have dipped into the 10's with those mods. They make amazing daily drivers, and a true wolf in sheep's clothing for a great price. Maintenance costs on certain models are very reasonable too.

So what has your maintenance history been like? How long have you had it? Mileage? Mods & cost of mods? Factory options?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
1,938 Posts
Do you need AWD where you are? And do you tend to do more city stop and go or more open road?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you need AWD where you are? And do you tend to do more city stop and go or more open road?
Guys, I did already state I daily my Hellcat all year...even in winter. ;) She has her snow tires on right now.

Combo

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
1,938 Posts
Well if you're good with snow tires on the current Hellcat then honestly I'd get another Hellcat. When I think about the other choices out there there's just not enough better for the money. And I can't bring myself to recommend an SUV to anyone, even if 79% of all new vehicle sales in 2020 were a truck or an SUV.

·
Registered
Charger Hellcat
100 Posts
I have owned 4 E55's, and a CLS55 over the past 10 years. Maintenance is cheaper than a hellcat, but there are alot of aftermarket companies that jumped on board to supply parts for the platform because it took off late 2004 with the owners buying them off lease. It was a niche crowd, and after market vendors saw the need.

So here is the run down for that platform, these are estimates and would vary best on location :

CL, SL, S55's have ABC suspension, best suspension in the world but costly to fix as it is a complex system. Stay away from panoramic roofs lol. Good factory options that are reliable and don't cost much to maintain are: Dynamic seats, heated seats, keyless go, sunroof, distronic, sun shade pull down on side windows and rear window vent shade, ventilated seating.

Miles range to buy is 60K-120K, these motors and trans last a long time if maintained well.

The E and CLS don't have ABC, they are on air bags. The air bags last a long time, but when they go, you can get replacements that have a lifetime warranty on the bag, part and install is $795 per corner. The other alternative is to upgrade to coil overs which is $1500 for the entire cars suspension.

As far as performance goes, this is what you are looking at:

Long tube headers range from $800-$3200
Supercharger pullies range from $200-$500
Crank pullies range from $650 to $1100
Throttle bodies are about $600 with matched inlet
Ecu and transmission tunes are $295-$2000

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well if you're good with snow tires on the current Hellcat then honestly I'd get another Hellcat. When I think about the other choices out there there's just not enough better for the money. And I can't bring myself to recommend an SUV to anyone, even if 79% of all new vehicle sales in 2020 were a truck or an SUV.
I agree but I would buy the lease out if able. Your payment would be about the same as what you're paying now and you get to keep a car you've maintained and know the history of.

That and Hellcat prices are still pretty high right now. You're not likely to find another like yours for $44k with the way the market is right now.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
224 Posts
Another vote to try Mercedes. Have you tried an S63 Sedan, coupe or cabriolet? Great performance with AWD and Biturbo V8’s, with ultimate luxury interiors. Or if the full size cars aren’t your thing then the E63 is amazing too.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another vote to try Mercedes. Have you tried an S63 Sedan, coupe or cabriolet? Great performance with AWD and Biturbo V8’s, with ultimate luxury interiors. Or if the full size cars aren’t your thing then the E63 is amazing too.
S63 in this $ range is about $30k for too many miles. Hard pass. Not really feeling the E63. Don't want to own cars like that out of warranty

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,107 Posts
thats one problem with owning a hellcat is that it sets the bar so high everything else can seem sub+par. I’m trying to find a new toy myself and really having a hard time finding something that excites me.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,201 Posts

2003-2006 E55 AMG
2003-2006 SL55 AMG
2006 CLS55 AMG
2003-2006 S55 AMG
2003-2006 CL55 AMG

I love the AMGs! I had an E55 for a short stint. The engines are bullet proof. The only knock on the e55/e63 AMGs are the shitty air ride systems.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,201 Posts
thats one problem with owning a hellcat is that it sets the bar so high everything else can seem sub+par. I’m trying to find a new toy myself and really having a hard time finding something that excites me.
GT500 will get you going. I love mine!

·
Registered
2019 Charger Hellcat
607 Posts
Go test drive a Trackhawk

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yup, this car has ruined me :D

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Reactions: BrakeFade

·
Registered
362 Posts
Traded mine for a stick M2CS. I came to the conclusion that I just wasn’t using the power, and honestly you can’t put all the power down on street tires anyways. I’ll miss it, but the M2CS is far more enjoyable to drive for me, and it’s a far rarer car. I considered the GT500, but that’s not a car I’d want to drive daily, and again, no stick in a two door = no sale for me. I just don’t get it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts