SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I said I would never sell it, but find myself looking to move into a different direction.
Ive got just under 1500 miles, and they have been all fun miles!
Ive been looking on eBay, and auto trader and prices are all over the place! Don't see any for under $100k.
I had a dealer offer me $105 and he said keep the crate, didn't care about it.
I passed, as Im sure he would list it for $120 plus. The sales tax credit is worth trading, but not at that price!
Im contemplating listing it for sale privately, just not sure I want to deal with all of the strokers.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
104 Posts
You may want to consider "bring a trailer" auction website. IMHO it's a good place to sell without dealing too much with "strokers". The demons seem to do pretty well and the seller doesn't get jabbed with a Mecum or BJ type of fee.

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
1,331 Posts
Good luck with that lol

Not many people out there swinging enough commas in their bank account to drop $105k plus for a 2nd hand car, especially one that they know nothing about.

Genuinely not trying to be a smart ass, just don't think youll get any real inquiries without 95% of them being strokers.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,564 Posts
Would have to expect if you list a Demon for sale privately this would pull a lot of undesirable car "buyers" out of the woodwork all looking for a thrill ride in your Demon.

Unless you make a living selling cars professionally I would hazard a guess you'd have a hard time separating the real Demon car buyer from the look-y lou buyer/thrill seeker.

You also have the issue of dealing with a lot of money changing hands. Not just that common for a used car buyer to hand over $100K+ for a used car in a private sale. If one is willing to hand over the money you have to be worried about some "scam", unfortunately.

Selling to a dealer may not net you as much as you might get selling the car privately but the deal is done and in nearly no time and the money gets into your hands promptly.

When I traded in a Hellcat for a new Scat Pack I got the new Scat Pack and $3000 back from the dealer. Had the $3000 check in about a week. Actually I didn't know I had it. After a week dealer called me to let me know the final paperwork packet was available at the dealer.

Picked it up. Opened it and gave it a quick glance and spotted the title. Took the packet to the DMV to register the vehicle. Clerk asked me for something and I handed the packet over to her. She found the check. I never bothered to look for it. I expected the check to come in separate mailing.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I passed, as Im sure he would list it for $120 plus.

If you get the price you want, what do you care what the dealer does with it? And if you don't quite get what you want, how much is is worth to you to not have to deal with the hassles of selling it that you described? Ad that to the $105K and see what the deal looks like.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You have a desirable niche vehicle. What is your time worth? If life is pressuring you to get cash quick then the rules dictate you need to market to the right buyer.. BAT is one way...or hire a "broker" who will let you know his "fee" upfront.The dealer or specialty high end "exotic" car dealer also should be upfront about their expected "profit" .

·
Registered
2020 SRT SUPER STOCK HELLRAISIN
3,682 Posts
I said I would never sell it, but find myself looking to move into a different direction.
Ive been looking on eBay, and auto trader and prices are all over the place! Don't see any for under $100k.
I passed, as Im sure he would list it for $120 plus. The sales tax credit is worth trading, but not at that price!
Im contemplating listing it for sale privately, just not sure I want to deal with all of the strokers.
I would uninstall all the crate items to make the crate intact again, and then I would sell to a Dealer. Just make sure they give you a cashiers check from a locally accessable bank. Ideally you would be there in the Bank when the check is issued and take possesion of it without it leaving your sight. If it's a reputable dealer and you make the deal face to face in their Office/dealership you are probably OK to relax a little on this. Then put your contact info in the glove box.

This is if you actually paid less than $105 for it.

I had NO problems selling my Demon. I put 674 passes on it at 16 different tracks in 13 different states and put 5500 miles on it and sold it without the original wheels/tires/crate etc. I sold it for a slight profit and to a local used car dealer in about 15 minutes after my ad went up on Craigslist following that procedure above.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I passed, as Im sure he would list it for $120 plus.

If you get the price you want, what do you care what the dealer does with it? And if you don't quite get what you want, how much is is worth to you to not have to deal with the hassles of selling it that you described? Ad that to the $105K and see what the deal looks like.
I had a similar situation with my truck I just sold, granite it was nowhere near a 6 figure vehicle. 04 ram hemi with 8,800 miles. Unfortunately from sitting outside it’s whole life, it definitely needed a good detail and possible re-spray of the clear coat. I got tired of spending money on small things to make the truck “perfect” in my eyes. When I would replace something, I replaced everything within that assembly. So new taillights also meant new bulbs, sockets, screws, and push in plastic ball studs. New center radio bezel also meant the cubby, hvac control, airbag switch, and all screws. I could go on for days. Needless to say I decided the truck will never be perfect so i’m just going to sell it. I listed it for what I thought was fair, and I still got a bunch of tire kickers and people wanting to beat me up on price. Mind you I was still priced lower than trucks with 10x the mileage, wheel well rot, 4 owners and 2 accidents. I figured ya know what, even if I lower my price down, whoever buys it isn’t going to be happy. They don’t care about all the little extras & time i’ve spent on this truck, and I don’t need anymore problems in my life. The extra couple thousand bucks wasn’t worth what could possibly come of the situation. I traded it in, and let the dealer take care of it. 3 weeks later they sold it for double what they gave me. Sure I lost money, but I gained peace of mind.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
2,068 Posts
You may want to consider "bring a trailer" auction website. IMHO it's a good place to sell without dealing too much with "strokers". The demons seem to do pretty well and the seller doesn't get jabbed with a Mecum or BJ type of fee.
I'll second this option. I've bought from BaT and it was a really good, clean experience from one enthusiast to another. I also have a dealer colleague who advised me to consider BaT when / if I sell a classic Corvette I have because I'd be more likely to get a better price than he could offer and without the "tire kickers" being a pain throughout the process. Also, BaT is pretty militant about being sure their sellers don't get hosed and will straight up permanently ban anyone who doesn't got through with a legitimate auction win.

This link will let you see the history of all the sales - and "no sale" - auction results for all Challengers since 2017. Hovering on the dots on the graph will let you see which ones are Demons.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Have you considered getting SOME cashish out of it and trading it on a different but cheaper and less-collectible Hellcat?

I am assuming you have a Demon.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The biggest advantage with dealer trade, again is the tax credit. I pay the sales tax (6.25%) on the balance.
A hypothetical example : Car to buy $200k, dealer offers $100k for trade, I pay sales tax on the balance of $100k.
Id rather pay 6.25% on $100k vs $200k

·
Super Moderator
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,241 Posts
I would bring it to the races. I've seen them sold at the track.
Race guys usually know lots of car guys, free advertisement.

Linda :)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
2,068 Posts
The biggest advantage with dealer trade, again is the tax credit. I pay the sales tax (6.25%) on the balance.
A hypothetical example : Car to buy $200k, dealer offers $100k for trade, I pay sales tax on the balance of $100k.
Id rather pay 6.25% on $100k vs $200k
I get ya! Here in Illinois they changed the law about 5 years ago such that you still pay the 6.25% on the NEW purchase regardless of the value of the trade. It used to be you paid sales tax on the DIFFERENCE in the transaction, which made it really advantageous to trade a car in rather than sell it outright.

This lead to the "unintended consequence" of dealers hosing people on their trade to the tune of about 5% then making money on the difference. Not any more. Until recently (last 2 years or so) you were much more likely to get a "no bid" on your trade if it was of high value like a Hellcat, or a "good" dealer would maybe sell your car on commission...maybe. Or they would throw you such a lowball offer that CarMax and those guys were a better deal. Now there's so few used cars in the market around here they will pretty much take anything on trade.

This in turn kinda hoses "value shoppers" who like to look for a 2-3 year old used car rather than the same or similar thing new. There's just none around. It's a great time to be a seller around here, but a terrible time to be a buyer. Markets cycle and I'm sure it will change again, but for now such is the game! One barometer I use on the national level is to watch how much inventory CarMax is sitting on at any given time. Prior to coronavirus they typically had 60000-80000 cars nationally on any given week. Sitting here as I type this they have 43,033....so the market is TIGHT on supply right now. Result: great time to SELL, terrible time to BUY!

Selling a Demon is a totally different thing than selling a "regular" car, as you're going to want to find someone who values it more for exclusivity than as a "top spec Challenger." They are out there, but it may take a little different approach than a trip to the dealer to bring the best value for it. Just my $0.02!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts