SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Post-Factory Sun Roof

3740 9
Anyone who skipped the sunroof or canceled it to get the car to vin status sooner considering adding it afterwards?

Would you use the dealer? More likely to leak? Just pondering since I opted against it even thought I wanted one.
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
6,854 Posts
Anyone who skipped the sunroof or canceled it to get the car to vin status sooner considering adding it afterwards?

Would you use the dealer? More likely to leak? Just pondering since I opted against it even thought I wanted one.
I certainly wouldn't consider anyone cutting a hole on my car

·
Left Shark
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,141 Posts
I wanted one originally, nice to star gaze through and the extra sun is nice in the spring and fall. But if Dodge can't make it structurally sound, you can bet some tint/sunroof shop will just be a chop job.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,911 Posts
From what I understand, the moon roofs were stopped because there was not adequate support and stability in the roof for the insane power and torque. This was causing the roof to flex, and when you have flex with a moon roof, the windshield is likely to crack by the A-pillars and the seals come apart causing leaks. They would not have been taken off of orders unless it was a large problem. I would not cut into the roof at all unless you end up adding support/bracing to it in other ways. I see it being more of a hassle in the future, rather than an amenity...besides being a ton of expensive work.

By the way, this is coming from someone who originally wanted one as well, but the tradeoff with possible headaches in the future was not worth it. Water+car=expensive headache.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,373 Posts
From what I understand, the moon roofs were stopped because there was not adequate support and stability in the roof for the insane power and torque. This was causing the roof to flex, and when you have flex with a moon roof, the windshield is likely to crack by the A-pillars and the seals come apart causing leaks. They would not have been taken off of orders unless it was a large problem. I would not cut into the roof at all unless you end up adding support/bracing to it in other ways. I see it being more of a hassle in the future, rather than an amenity...besides being a ton of expensive work.

By the way, this is coming from someone who originally wanted one as well, but the tradeoff with possible headaches in the future was not worth it. Water+car=expensive headache.
I have heard exactly the same thing from several "well placed" people in the SRT organization (off the record, of course). In addition to all of the reasons that goingsolo2 cited, one additional reason not to have an aftermarket sun roof installed is that it may be a liability if you ever try to sell your Hellcat.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Demon
2,703 Posts
DON'T DO IT!

·
The Punisher
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,124 Posts
I used to install sunroofs....don't do it on this car.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
291 Posts
Yep, don't do it, you will have trouble down the road.

Just like goingsolo2 I bagged getting the factory sunroof as well.

Reactions: goingsolo2
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.