SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Admins, if this needs to move to another area, feel free to move it and please forgive my ignorance.

After years of drooling, I'm in the market for a used Charger Hellcat. I had the opportunity to test drive a 2019 Charger Hellcat last week since the dealer did not have a used one on the lot. It was love at 1st rumble. My wife and I made eye contact as soon as I started the car, she knew I was done. I will admit that my 1968 Barracuda w/ 450 HP 360LA pistol grip 5-speed just doesn't do justice, granted it's different.

My current requirements are < 50K (ideally a lot less) and a price of $50K or less. I'm indifferent to color (though I'd avoid black or red if possible) and I don't care much about options. BUT, I will admit I don't know what changed/improved year to year from 2015 to now.

When looking at used Hellcats:
1) What are options should be looking for that really matter?
2) Are there years I should avoid?
3) Are there areas of the car that I should scrutinize more as a used vehicle?

if you have any other guidance or opinions, I'm listening. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
HOTM Winner
7,982 Posts
Welcome and good hunting.
If you are not dead set on the charger, do a nationwide search; you will find 2016 challengers for ~ the price you are looking for.

·
Administrator
8,157 Posts
Welcome to the community and best of luck in your Hellcat pursuit. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and I have owned a few Chargers and Challengers. As far as years to avoid no worries all years are good on the Chargers since the first year of production was 2016. It was a year late from the HC Challenger release. The price range your trying to capture will most likely be a 2016 model. And early production 2016 Chargers had no sunroof option due to production issues. As far as options not a ton of options available on the 16 besdies upgrade radio and wheel color. There have been Superchargers that have failed here and there which there is a thread and or more on this. I’d stay in the low mileage category since many buy these cars and just park them. Demographics not sure in this answer since the Charger is a very low production car. Good luck and happy Hellcating.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I didn’t look too much at the Charger, but on the Challenger there weren’t too many options to add. Sure, you could opt for the sunroof, satin paint, and different interior colors, but for the most part the HC Challenger is very well optioned. Again, I didn’t look much at the Charger so options may very well be different; I’m sure Charger owners will chime in.

Use caution when evaluating potential candidates. A lot of what you’re going to find out there will be from returned leases.

Good luck in your search!

(Apple's autocorrect sucks btw)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
2015 has a 5yr/100,000 power train warranty ( void if the ECM has been tuned or drive train modified )
2016 + have reduced warranty of 5yr/60,000
check for mods : differential brace -- driveshaft -- CAI -- exhaust mods -- lowered -- tune ( verified by Chrysler dealer )
any of these mods can possibly affect the remaining power train warranty

Good Luck in your quest
The Charger HC was not in production in 2015.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
They certainly did produce Charger Hellcats in 2015.
Show me that info I had to wait to order my 2016 HC Charger January 2016 since you could not order a CHARGER 2015 HC. Challenger yes Charger no since the Challenger had been released for 2015 the Charger was delayed for the 2016 model year. I owned them I should know.

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Now I know why I thought 2016 was the first year: My selling dealer had no allocations for the 2015 Charger HC LOL. For anyone new here just incredible how back in 2015 and 2016 be so lucky to be able to own a Hellcat no matter a Charger and or Challenger. And you paid MSRP and many paid ADM. How times change and this is lost conversation and news today.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I was in your shoes and needed 4 doors. Looked at a couple used ones but those scared me off as I never could tell how they were treated? I sucked it up and spent the extra money to buy new and have no regrets on my 2018 with 5,909 miles. If financially possible...recommend buying new or finding a "known" used one...which proved difficult for me.

·
Registered
887 Posts
My 15 Charger Hellcat order went in the first day that the order banks opened, Jan.12, 2015. Got a VON # but never a VIN #. Dodge cancelled the order mid July but sent me a 4k voucher off the price of a 16 Charger Hellcat. Picked it up at the dealer Jan.19, 2016.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you care about Carplay/Android auto you will want a 2017+. The "SRT" on the steering wheel glows red on the 2017 and newer. There is also slightly different badging on the leather seats and the spoiler. There may be other differences but I'm not aware of them. You're probably going to pay closer to that 50k though compared to a 2016 just because its a model year newer. You'll have your warranty for longer on a 2017 if you care about that.

You basically have to decide if those features are worth the difference in price. I refused to go without Carplay so I went with a 2017...

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
My loaded 2015 is for sale and has a bumper to bumper warranty thru 2022. Under your budget and low miles. Link below(click FOR SALE)

2015 production was much more rare so they are holding value better. They made 4 times as many in 2016. A lot of the 2016s and 2017s don't have the rear center fold down console with lit cup holders. Also the Phantom TriCoat Black was only made in 2015

1 - 20 of 60 Posts