SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Power steering fluid leak

11242 51
I pulled my Charger HC out of the garage to wash it today, and slipped on a puddle of what appears to be PS fluid on my garage floor when I walked back in. The puddle is near the driver front of the vehicle (maybe a foot or two back from the bumper), and is red in color. The power steering fluid reservoir is slightly below the "low" mark, so I have to assume that's what it is. I didn't pull it up on ramps or anything to try to determine where it was coming from. Has anyone heard of this happening to anyone else? The car is only a week old (560mi). Looks like it'll be making an early trip back to the dealer this week. :(
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
278 Posts
I pulled my Charger HC out of the garage to wash it today, and slipped on a puddle of what appears to be PS fluid on my garage floor when I walked back in. The puddle is near the driver front of the vehicle (maybe a foot or two back from the bumper), and is red in color. The power steering fluid reservoir is slightly below the "low" mark, so I have to assume that's what it is. I didn't pull it up on ramps or anything to try to determine where it was coming from. Has anyone heard of this happening to anyone else? The car is only a week old (560mi). Looks like it'll be making an early trip back to the dealer this week. :(
I meant automatic...I'm a dummy:confused:

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
6,854 Posts
That sux

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,013 Posts
Dodge replaced the power steering hose on my car while it at the train/transport station in Angola, NY. The car was put on hold and a Fenkel inspection was noted. I inquired with SRT and they said there was a quality issue with some power steering hoses that made it onto cars. Mine was one and the hose was replaced by Fenkel. This is what I was told anyway....

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Made an appointment at the dealer for tomorrow. I sure hope whatever parts need to be replaced aren't on backorder or something! It hurts to take it back to the dealer after only having it a week.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
278 Posts
Made an appointment at the dealer for tomorrow. I sure hope whatever parts need to be replaced aren't on backorder or something! It hurts to take it back to the dealer after only having it a week.
Please post what they discover...you should be there to check it out yourself. Concerning for us both, same car and about same birth date. Post the findings please. Mike

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm a bit puzzled by the whole thing... Since cleaning the garage floor, I haven't noticed any additional leaking. I'm starting to wonder if it was transported without a cap on the reservoir (and later replaced the cap), or if someone overfilled it and then suctioned out the excess? There is visible fluid down the filler neck and all over the valve cover. The first rule of leaks is to find the highest point with fluid on it, which in this case would be the cap/filler neck. The amount of fluid on the garage floor was impressive. An ounce or two, I'd say. For there to have been that much fluid, the leak would have to be rather significant. However, since cleaning it up I haven't noticed any more leaking. The fluid level hasn't dropped any more, either. I wonder if the factory, transporter, or dealer left the cap off, or was very sloppy when filling it? If the spilled fluid wound up on the plastic panel under the engine, it would explain the "one time" leak. I pulled off the plastic access panel under the engine and looked around. I didn't see any obvious sources of the leak, but there is fluid on the AC compressor (which is under the PS pump), and several of the hoses.

I can't decide if I should take it to the dealer or just monitor it closely. Dealer service trips tend to stress me out.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
has the steering wheel been turned with engine off? that can cause fluid to burp out of the reservoir.
It has not (at least not since i took delivery of it). This is good information to have, though.

The garage floor had more fluid on it this morning, so I'm taking it to the dealer. I'll report back with what they have to say.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
474 Posts
Checking mine out yesterday and my reservoir was way under cold fill. No sign of any leak.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm... Makes me wonder if it's leaking something else, and my steering fluid was just low from the factory? It could be an oil or tranny cooler leak as well... I'm not confident on the reddish color comment I made earlier. It only looked like that initially. Ever since, it has seemed to be more of an engine oil color, but it's hard to tell since the fluids are all so clean right now.

·
Banned
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,649 Posts
Hmm... Makes me wonder if it's leaking something else, and my steering fluid was just low from the factory? It could be an oil or tranny cooler leak as well... I'm not confident on the reddish color comment I made earlier. It only looked like that initially. Ever since, it has seemed to be more of an engine oil color, but it's hard to tell since the fluids are all so clean right now.
Think got same problem few drops and smell like chicken soup no lie thought I ran something over

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
823 Posts
I'm a bit puzzled by the whole thing... Since cleaning the garage floor, I haven't noticed any additional leaking. I'm starting to wonder if it was transported without a cap on the reservoir (and later replaced the cap), or if someone overfilled it and then suctioned out the excess? There is visible fluid down the filler neck and all over the valve cover. The first rule of leaks is to find the highest point with fluid on it, which in this case would be the cap/filler neck. The amount of fluid on the garage floor was impressive. An ounce or two, I'd say. For there to have been that much fluid, the leak would have to be rather significant. However, since cleaning it up I haven't noticed any more leaking. The fluid level hasn't dropped any more, either. I wonder if the factory, transporter, or dealer left the cap off, or was very sloppy when filling it? If the spilled fluid wound up on the plastic panel under the engine, it would explain the "one time" leak. I pulled off the plastic access panel under the engine and looked around. I didn't see any obvious sources of the leak, but there is fluid on the AC compressor (which is under the PS pump), and several of the hoses.

I can't decide if I should take it to the dealer or just monitor it closely. Dealer service trips tend to stress me out.
On my challenger hellcat I noticed the day after bringing it home their was some old power steering fluid going down the engine block.
I wonder if a blind person just over filled.
Now I have to clean the block.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The dealer called me yesterday afternoon to say that they think the fluid is coming from the transmission. He said the fluid appeared to be coming from between the engine and transmission. They acknowledged that the power steering fluid was low (about 1/4" below the "low" line on the reservoir), but didn't think it was power steering fluid. They're going to have one of their Viper techs look at it today, and call me with more info.

I will be very surprised if the leak is originating from between the engine and transmission, because that's not at all where the puddles have been. The puddles (and visible fluid on the car) have been up near the driver front wheel area. I'm hoping it's just a problem with a hose or a cooler line. I'm going to be sad if they have to separate the drivetrain.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.