SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Power steering fluid leak

11533 Views 51 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Frank1970
I pulled my Charger HC out of the garage to wash it today, and slipped on a puddle of what appears to be PS fluid on my garage floor when I walked back in. The puddle is near the driver front of the vehicle (maybe a foot or two back from the bumper), and is red in color. The power steering fluid reservoir is slightly below the "low" mark, so I have to assume that's what it is. I didn't pull it up on ramps or anything to try to determine where it was coming from. Has anyone heard of this happening to anyone else? The car is only a week old (560mi). Looks like it'll be making an early trip back to the dealer this week. :(
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,013 Posts
Now that's just silly! Can't be just changing the rules whenever they feel like it.

First it's orange and purple antifreeze! What's next? Brown window washer fluid? :)
Various oils/fluids have gone nuts in the past few years. I get engineering fluids for the application but I swear some of this is just to force people to buy OE fluids and spend more money. I mean really, how many antifreeze variations do we really need. Motors are cast iron and aluminum. You would think one or two antifreeze variations should cover them all... ;)

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Various oils/fluids have gone nuts in the past few years. I get engineering fluids for the application but I swear some of this is just to force people to buy OE fluids and spend more money. I mean really, how many antifreeze variations do we really need. Motors are cast iron and aluminum. You would think one or two antifreeze variations should cover them all... ;)
That's a good point. But I remember my 2006 SRT8 having an issue where the coolant turned to cottage cheese because it didn't have some additive in it or something. The overflow bottle literally started filling with white goop. There was a TSB on it, that I had to have performed twice to completely correct the problem. So maybe the different types of coolant are more important than we realize?

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,013 Posts
That's a good point. But I remember my 2006 SRT8 having an issue where the coolant turned to cottage cheese because it didn't have some additive in it or something. The overflow bottle literally started filling with white goop. There was a TSB on it, that I had to have performed twice to completely correct the problem. So maybe the different types of coolant are more important than we realize?
I'm not saying ignore the recommendation. I certainly do what the manual recommends. I just think they have gotten crazy in recent years. When I was a kid there was two options.... Straight water or green anti-freeze and water. That was it!!!!

Now you need some $40 per gallon super juice that is already diluted (so you really are getting 1/2 gallon for $40) and if you don't use it your cooling system turns to cottage cheese. Crazy!

Reactions: dodgeboy

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
27 Posts
Mine tends to leak a black carbon color fluid from around the catalytic converter area where I guess there are weep holes for the condensation to drain. Keep us posted....

KW

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,013 Posts
Mine tends to leak a black carbon color fluid from around the catalytic converter area where I guess there are weep holes for the condensation to drain. Keep us posted....

KW
That's normal. Just water coming out of the exhaust. It's a byproduct of combustion.

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
52 Posts
The dealer called me yesterday afternoon to say that they think the fluid is coming from the transmission. He said the fluid appeared to be coming from between the engine and transmission. They acknowledged that the power steering fluid was low (about 1/4" below the "low" line on the reservoir), but didn't think it was power steering fluid. They're going to have one of their Viper techs look at it today, and call me with more info.

I will be very surprised if the leak is originating from between the engine and transmission, because that's not at all where the puddles have been. The puddles (and visible fluid on the car) have been up near the driver front wheel area. I'm hoping it's just a problem with a hose or a cooler line. I'm going to be sad if they have to separate the drivetrain.
I'd be hesitant about this as well. Are they insinuating it's a rear main leak?

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,013 Posts
The dealer called me yesterday afternoon to say that they think the fluid is coming from the transmission. He said the fluid appeared to be coming from between the engine and transmission. They acknowledged that the power steering fluid was low (about 1/4" below the "low" line on the reservoir), but didn't think it was power steering fluid. They're going to have one of their Viper techs look at it today, and call me with more info.

I will be very surprised if the leak is originating from between the engine and transmission, because that's not at all where the puddles have been. The puddles (and visible fluid on the car) have been up near the driver front wheel area. I'm hoping it's just a problem with a hose or a cooler line. I'm going to be sad if they have to separate the drivetrain.
Are you sure it's not the transmission cooler line? Cooler lines will run up to the radiator and back.

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Just got a call from the dealer. The Viper tech has determined that it's the front pump seal on the transmission that's leaking. They're removing the transmission and replacing the seal today, and expect it to be ready tomorrow. I still don't understand how the fluid was getting up to the driver front of the vehicle (it looked like it was all over the AC compressor, and the hoses, etc.). I found no leaks near the centerline of the vehicle, which I would think a trans leak of any kind would have...

I'm sure the tech is correct. I'm just puzzed as to how it manifested itself in a leak near the driver front of the vehicle. I'll report back tomorrow when I get the car back... I hope this fixes it!

Also, I've received no explanation as to why the power steering fluid was low. I don't know if it was not filled properly at the factory, or if there is truly a leak in the power steering system as well (that has not yet been detected by the tech).

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Are you sure it's not the transmission cooler line? Cooler lines will run up to the radiator and back.
I'm not sure of anything at this point. I was convinced it was a power steering fluid leak, because the reservoir was low, the puddle was under the power steering pump, and the fluid was consistent with power steering fluid (which is the same as trans fluid). But obviously I don't know what the hell I'm doing, because the leak is apparently in the transmission itself, and not anywhere near where the puddles were found. I would've bet good money that the leak was somewhere right above where the puddles were found. I guess this is why the tech's make the big bucks!

Reactions: 630

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I got same leak it's near oil filter passenger side
I was finding puddles on the driver side, near the front wheel/suspension...

· Banned
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,649 Posts
Just got a call from the dealer. The Viper tech has determined that it's the front pump seal on the transmission that's leaking. They're removing the transmission and replacing the seal today, and expect it to be ready tomorrow. I still don't understand how the fluid was getting up to the driver front of the vehicle (it looked like it was all over the AC compressor, and the hoses, etc.). I found no leaks near the centerline of the vehicle, which I would think a trans leak of any kind would have...

I'm sure the tech is correct. I'm just puzzed as to how it manifested itself in a leak near the driver front of the vehicle. I'll report back tomorrow when I get the car back... I hope this fixes it!

Also, I've received no explanation as to why the power steering fluid was low. I don't know if it was not filled properly at the factory, or if there is truly a leak in the power steering system as well (that has not yet been detected by the tech).
You sure driver side not passenger side near oil filter ??

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
You sure driver side not passenger side near oil filter ??
I am 100% sure that the puddles in my garage are near the driver side front of the vehicle. But note that the puddle location does not apparently correspond to the source of the leak.

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,536 Posts
I was finding puddles on the driver side, near the front wheel/suspension...
Which is exactly where the transmission fluid cooler is, driver's side front. Oil cooler is on the passenger side. Who knows, atleast its getting fixed. :)

· Banned
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,649 Posts
Which is exactly where the transmission fluid cooler is, driver's side front. Oil cooler is on the passenger side. Who knows, atleast its getting fixed. :)
Not for me all dealers in my area and srt calling around find me a dealer they all said busy and when I went in person he said u buy car here (no) I can't help you be safe bro literally word for word bay ridge chrysler suck my xxxx

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
It's been at the dealer all week, and I've been lied to a couple of times already. I really don't understand what these service reps think they're going to gain by telling you your car is closer to being ready than it is. Do they not understand that some of us are trying to adjust our work schedules to make ourselves available to get the car when it is ready?

On Wednesday (mid day) I was told that they had all the parts they needed and to replace the pump seal, and the tech was in the middle of removing the transmission, and was going to try to get it done that day. Thursday at 2pm, I still hadn't received a call, so I left a voicemail for my rep. At 5pm I called again and got voicemail. At 6pm I called the main number and had my service rep paged. He answered and told me that the tech took the transmission out today and was able to order the parts that they needed, and that they should be in on Friday. He said the parts make in on the truck "8 out of 10 times." Encouraging.

With the shipping damage and this fluid leak, the car has officially spent more time at the dealer than it has in my hands. You would think the dealer would treat this case with a little more attention than most service requests. They had the car for more than 2 days before they ordered the parts, and they had identified the problem within 6 hours of dropping it off at the dealer. I could completely understand the delays if they had discovered more issues after they started tearing it down, but the rep says it is still just the pump seal (the one they had all the parts for on Wednesday, and ordered the same parts for on Thursday, which have an 80% chance of arriving on Friday).

Dealers wonder why customers get irate, and don't trust them. This is why. I'm not irate yet, but the trust is long gone. And to think I'm supposed to return the car to the dealer next week to have the HK audio problems looked at.

· Premium Member
13,620 Posts
Not for me all dealers in my area and srt calling around find me a dealer they all said busy and when I went in person he said u buy car here (no) I can't help you be safe bro literally word for word bay ridge chrysler suck my xxxx
That doesn't sound right. I hope you reported that? I thought I could take my car to any Dodge dealer if I had a problem? That's some bullshizzy!

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.