SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

anyone know or have the powerstop 1405's installed on a 21? Just curious before I buy them and want to be sure they will fit as I believe the 21 rotor is slightly larger than 2020 and before... and I'm not sure if the caliper is different but if the rotor is larger and pad is the same as before, it might not cover the entire rotor?

Then again, I know recent years FCA also used that weird looking pad that didn't cover the entire rotor either if I recall correctly...

bottom line is the dust is so bad it's worth the trade off... I've had 4 sets of them on my previous 3 chargers and 1 challenger...

thanks,

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
755 Posts
MOPAR Parts Sites are the only ones I've found even listing a brake pad for the '21s, and the part number is different then previous years. You might check with your dealer to confirm. As you said, it would help to visually verify.

Brembo.com, Powerstop.com, Rockauto.com & Centric.com don't have any listing for '21 HCs. I also searched for the correct FMSI Number for '21 HC Disc Pads and can't find that as yet either. The FMSI # would tell us what we want to know.

·
Registered
2021 widebody Redeye Pitch Black.
560 Posts
I have read, (remember the internet never lies) that the earlier pads will work fine on the 21's. The difference in part # is a different material in the new pads, but externally they are the same. That's my understanding.

·
Registered
In The Market
24 Posts
Wasn't there a requirement for 2021 to remove/reduce the amount of copper used in brake pads? That would explain the different part number, like Mattm400 said about material being different.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes but I was told the 21 rotor is 15.7, not the 15.4 it used to be. question is, is the caliper and pad any different. btw, for what it's worth, the new material creates as much dust as before and it's insane... cannot live with it like this for any longer.

I'm going to call powerstop now however in the past few sets I had, they also "couldn't guarantee" that they fit right so I'm not sure how much help that'll be.

worst case, I'll order a set and just pull the old ones out, either it's identical in shape or its not? just hate to go through the hassle to find out they are different lol... yes, I'm lazy and not very good with mechanics so I don't want to attempt this if they won't work. I did the last set myself and managed but I'm getting old so I try to think before doing these days haha.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just called powestop and they do not yet have info from Dodge on the 21 model, so no help there LOL....

there must be someone here that has a 21 that attempted install?

·
Registered
In The Market
24 Posts
I did a search for OEM Mopar brake pads and Tasca lists this part number (68248384AC) for 2015-2021, so I would think the Powerstop 1405's would work, because I saw those listed for 2015-2019. However this is no guarantee, just what I found through some quick searching.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a search for OEM Mopar brake pads and Tasca lists this part number (68248384AC) for 2015-2021, so I would think the Powerstop 1405's would work, because I saw those listed for 2015-2019. However this is no guarantee, just what I found through some quick searching.
Thank you. I’m thinking they only way might be to order a set and try. Once I have both in my hand it should be easy to determine if they are the same I would think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
In The Market
24 Posts
Thank you. I’m thinking they only way might be to order a set and try. Once I have both in my hand it should be easy to determine if they are the same I would think?

I would think so, when I started the search I was looking for pad dimensions. The sites I looked at did not have the dimensions of the Mopar pads though.

·
Registered
422 Posts

If you're around the Austin (Leander) area let me know and you can borrow my brake pads that I should get next week. I ordered new pads (powerstop z26) and new rotors for my car (2015) as it's shaking real bad under moderate braking (thinking warped rotor). I wont be able to install for several weeks so you're more than happy to see if they would fit and buy them off me if so. Or you're more than welcome to come by my house and we can swap them in my garage.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,315 Posts
I ordered the PowerStop 1405/1053 for my ‘21 SRT Cherokee and the pads are the same width and thickness. Only difference appears to be material. Now, on my SRT GC I had to remove the squeal tabs for the pads on the inside. The tabs were just barely contacting the caliper. I coulda bent them down but I figured why not just remove them since the outer pad and squeal tabs were fine.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you're around the Austin (Leander) area let me know and you can borrow my brake pads that I should get next week. I ordered new pads (powerstop z26) and new rotors for my car (2015) as it's shaking real bad under moderate braking (thinking warped rotor). I wont be able to install for several weeks so you're more than happy to see if they would fit and buy them off me if so. Or you're more than welcome to come by my house and we can swap them in my garage.
That’s a great offer and I’d be on my way but I’m in Miami lol....

I do love Texas too though!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've had the 1405's on my '21 RE for about 500 miles. They fit/work fine. I measured the pads from my '19 and my '21 and I find there to be no dimensional changes.
Well there it is... I kind of had a feeling and now finally someone that’s got a 21 and installed pads, great news and thank you sharing. I’m going to order them now.

Just curious, in my last chargers I only did the front as the back doesn’t have the same dust problem, is that ok or do all 4 have to be done for some reason?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,315 Posts
Well there it is... I kind of had a feeling and now finally someone that’s got a 21 and installed pads, great news and thank you sharing. I’m going to order them now.

Just curious, in my last chargers I only did the front as the back doesn’t have the same dust problem, is that ok or do all 4 have to be done for some reason?

The power stops produce way less dust. You’ll probably notice the rear dusting more. I’d do them all at once. I put Z26’s on my Redeye on all four corners right out the gate and never looked back.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The power stops produce way less dust. You’ll probably notice the rear dusting more. I’d do them all at once. I put Z26’s on my Redeye on all four corners right out the gate and never looked back.
Thanks. I had a few sets on my last chargers, just wanted to be sure the 1405's are the same/will fit the 2021

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Powerstop CS just wrote me back and they claim the z26-1405 will fit properly. I guess we already knew that since 2 of you have them lol.... I ordered yesterday and will install tomorrow, very excited about no more dust .

Reactions: TNRedeye

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Installed Saturday and they fit like a glove. Identical in shape and size to the Brembos that came out. Sooo happy no more dust....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts