SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just sharing some information I got from emailing Powerstop. I haven't used these pads yet. I'm running stock pads and I have no intention of swapping them out until the stock pads are worn out.

I emailed Powerstop asking what the difference was between the Z23 and Z26 series pads for the Hellcat.

Here is a quick summary of what they said in return.

• Z23 and Z26 use the same friction material in the pad itself
  • They are both low dusting and will dust the same amount as they are the same friction material
  • Backing plate shim on Z23 is rubberized and backing plate shim on Z26 is stainless steel
  • The Z26 pad will tolerate higher heat due to the SS backing plate
  • Both pads are low noise but I would suspect that the Z23 may be even better in the noise department due to the rubberized shim (just a guess here)
Both good choices for the Hellcat but the Z26 seems more appropriate to me and probably what I'll order if I try these over OE at my first pad replacement.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
6,852 Posts
Good info and yeah rubberized will help squealing

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
338 Posts
I already have a set (front & back) of the Z23 on hand from when my SRT arrives.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
1,196 Posts
Good info, we stock both varieties, but the Z23 is the more popular choice so far for the HC

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
721 Posts
My Z23's arrived a little while ago but I have not installed yet. My car only has 1,800 miles and I can already feel a slight ridge on the rotors. The stock Brembo pads eat rotors and they aren't cheap. I'll swap in the Z23's very soon and hope they are more rotor friendly.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
110 Posts
I'm just sharing some information I got from emailing Powerstop. I haven't used these pads yet. I'm running stock pads and I have no intention of swapping them out until the stock pads are worn out.

I emailed Powerstop asking what the difference was between the Z23 and Z26 series pads for the Hellcat.

Here is a quick summary of what they said in return.

• Z23 and Z26 use the same friction material in the pad itself
  • They are both low dusting and will dust the same amount as they are the same friction material
  • Backing plate shim on Z23 is rubberized and backing plate shim on Z26 is stainless steel
  • The Z26 pad will tolerate higher heat due to the SS backing plate
  • Both pads are low noise but I would suspect that the Z23 may be even better in the noise department due to the rubberized shim (just a guess here)
Both good choices for the Hellcat but the Z26 seems more appropriate to me and probably what I'll order if I try these over OE at my first pad replacement.
Which one do you recommend z23 or z26 pads and rotors combo.

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
135 Posts
I have the Z26 pads up front on my Charger, and I put them on after about 3 weeks of taking delivery. I couldn't stand the dust on my car, as it's a daily driver, and 1 trip to/from work and I'd have to re-clean the wheels. There is zero squeal / noise with the Z26 pads. If you do frequent heavy start / slow downs, I would assume the higher temp rated Z26 pads would be a better choice.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
142 Posts
Hi, hey guys do you suggest to use the Z2X package rotors as well? If so which kit? I think the Z26 1405 fits our HC Chargers, correct?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
721 Posts
I can't think of a reason you'd need new rotors at this point. Maybe in a few years and a bunch more miles. Meanwhile the factory originals are just fine.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
142 Posts
I can't think of a reason you'd need new rotors at this point. Maybe in a few years and a bunch more miles. Meanwhile the factory originals are just fine.

Thx Jim, that's what I thought but my HC tech told me to get them changed out soon, before summer and those suckers aren't cheap. Only the front he said and I am looking to change the pads to Z26 and get OEM or a better rated rotor. I already had to change out the tires and would like another option besides the P-Zeros. I'm at 19k miles, I've been driving this thing a lot. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
721 Posts
My past experience with an '08 Challenger was that the Brembo pads had eaten all 4 rotors by 40k miles. They were worn below limits for turning. So I replaced the rotors and the pads with Hawk ceramic pads. Those ceramic pads needed a lot more pedal pressure but they didn't eat the rotors like the Brembos did. On my '15 Charger HC I replaced the Brembo pads with the Z23's at about 700 miles. I now have about 9k miles on the HC and I can't feel any ridge at all on the stock rotors. And I feel no difference in pedal pressure or stopping power. Time will tell but I think you will be as happy with the Z26's as I am with the Z23's. I think I would have my rotors turned if I weren't replacing the Brembo pads until 19k miles.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
142 Posts
My past experience with an '08 Challenger was that the Brembo pads had eaten all 4 rotors by 40k miles. They were worn below limits for turning. So I replaced the rotors and the pads with Hawk ceramic pads. Those ceramic pads needed a lot more pedal pressure but they didn't eat the rotors like the Brembos did. On my '15 Charger HC I replaced the Brembo pads with the Z23's at about 700 miles. I now have about 9k miles on the HC and I can't feel any ridge at all on the stock rotors. And I feel no difference in pedal pressure or stopping power. Time will tell but I think you will be as happy with the Z26's as I am with the Z23's. I think I would have my rotors turned if I weren't replacing the Brembo pads until 19k miles.

Wow. My technician said you can't turn these rotors. I'll ask him about it though. I'm past 19k miles now

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
721 Posts
That could be, I don't know. Maybe one of our more enlightened members will know. I'd trust any info from Fnkychkn.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
2,401 Posts
you can`t machine grooved rotors.
When you say grooved, what exactly is that? I know it sounds obvious enough. My 392 has 50,000 on it, original pads and the rotors have a lip around the outer edge. Does that mean they will need to be replaced?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
645 Posts
When you say grooved, what exactly is that? I know it sounds obvious enough. My 392 has 50,000 on it, original pads and the rotors have a lip around the outer edge. Does that mean they will need to be replaced?
any rotor that has the lines or grooves in the surface of the rotor where the pad makes contact can`t be machined ,it would ruin the cutter tips. I think all hellcats from the factory have these rotors. if where the pads contact the rotors looks to have worn thin then get someone to measure them. all rotors have a discard spec.
if there within spec an not pulsating ,just replace the pads.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
2,401 Posts
any rotor that has the lines or grooves in the surface of the rotor where the pad makes contact can`t be machined ,it would ruin the cutter tips. I think all hellcats from the factory have these rotors. if where the pads contact the rotors looks to have worn thin then get someone to measure them. all rotors have a discard spec.
if there within spec an not pulsating ,just replace the pads.
Ok thanks for the info. Its above where the pads contact the rotor and for all I know, it has been there since I bought it new. While the car has 50,000 miles on it, 34,000 of those miles have been accumulated since June 2015, mostly highway miles. They are not squeaking or pulsating yet, I'm just preparing to switch to Z23's when Its time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts