SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'23 C8 3LT Convertible Z51
3,654 Posts
I PPF'd my 2020 Hellcat's front end. I will not be doing PPF again. It looked like crap and only held up for about a year before parts started lifting in places like the corners of the lower grille.

I have a white car coming this time, so I'm not quite as worried about incidental little damage to the front. This is another reason why I picked White Knuckle.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Did you use XPEL? What brand of PPF did you use?
The shop I used installed Llumar PPF. They didn't do the best job, had to have it totally redone once. They stretched it too much on the lower fascia lip and it lifted off in a couple days' time. They redid the job and it held up OK. I just don't like the look of it, and as I mentioned, some of the areas with great curvature, like inside the lower fascia leading to the oil cooler vent has started to come up a little. The front bumper took a couple pebble strikes and while it protected the paint, the PPF was damaged and has a very noticeable mark right dead square in the middle of the front bumper.

Great if you want to protect the paint.
Bad if you use your car as a show car.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
PPF over top of vinyl stripes is going to make them look weird. Especially if they're all not covered in PPF.

TBH, I'd just cover the front fascia and the flares, maybe the mirrors and just do the rest in ceramic.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Maybe a misunderstanding here? I meant I would PPF the entire panel that has the stripes, not just the stripes. The front bumper which does have stripes is getting PPF as well.

How will that look weird to have PPF over the entire panel that has stripes?
The PPF will not lay perfectly flat over the vinyl and the paint. As TNJed said above, they also don't adhere well, so you might get some lifting. A good shop will have to lay PPF around the stripes. If they slap them on over top, it'll change the look of the stripes to a gloss appearance. I don't doubt that someone somewhere will say that you can PPF over the stripes and that they can do it properly... but I haven't seen it. The problem is a situation produced called "lensing." That's caused by the small air gap between the PPF and the vinyl stripe that will be slightly visible.

Then, you have the added issue where, if the PPF lasts for the duration and starts to wear out, there's a high degree of likelihood that the PPF removal could damage the stripes. Peeling the film off after it's been on the car for months to a year or so is one thing... it's a bit more difficult after it's been on for 3+ years.

Thus, most installers will want to install around the vinyl if you want it to look right. If they do this though, this produces another issue. Even if they tighten the PPF to right up next to the vinyl, you're going to be left with numerous body length seams that will pick up dirt and it would be noticeable after a period of time. Probably not so big a deal on a black car, but you'd still end up with a lot of visible seams.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.