SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
BMF
4,983 Posts
Demon
Front bumper
Mirrors
Wheel flares
Lower bottom all way to rear bumper
XPEL
After 3 years it’s does trap dirt and starts to look yellowish on the edges.
Now before all you Keyboard Experts get on here telling me oh it’s your Installer BS this guy is a Master XPEL FACTORY EMPLOYEE
XPEL Did my Demon for free so they could use it in a trade show.
That is the 411 on XPEL

Reactions: Gotgap

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody Octane Red
1,738 Posts
'20 REWB here. Bumper, flares, door handle cups. No noticeable chips yet at 3k miles. I did add the rock guards and side skirts too which help protect the rear flares. I like the looks too. Almost looks lowered.
View attachment 586126
View attachment 586127
I'm configured the same as Slowpoke with splash guards and side skirts, I have PPF on the front bumper and back about 24", all flares, lower 1/3 on the doors, mirrors, door pockets, behind the rear tires, A pillars and across the top/front of the roof. I had PPF on my last Hellcat but not as much as with the WB.

Reactions: Slowpoke387

·
Registered
113 Posts
2019 REWB Challenger. Had entire front end, mirrors, A pillars, rockers, front and rear flares done in Xpel PPF, them ceramic coated. As someone mentioned earlier, the front of the rear flares will take a beating. Make sure they do the entire flare or at least the entire front of the flare with PPF. My mirrors also take a lot of hits, especially on the drivers side.

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 Jail Break
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. So looks like I’ll be covering a good 60% of the car. My car is ordered with stripes and I hear they are decals and not paint. I was thinking putting PPF on them would protect them from peeling.

besides $$, is there anything that would be detrimental in just covering the entire car in PPF?

this is my bucket list car so I’ll keep it. Forever.

·
Registered
'23 C8 3LT Convertible Z51
3,666 Posts
PPF over top of vinyl stripes is going to make them look weird. Especially if they're all not covered in PPF.

TBH, I'd just cover the front fascia and the flares, maybe the mirrors and just do the rest in ceramic.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I've got those ZL1 side skirts that I never installed and some rock guards listed on challengertalk if anyone is interested. had them for my scat pack wide body

If my jailbreak gets built I think I might do full xpel. I did full ceramic on the scat. hope the new owner enjoys that since I only had the car 6 months!

·
Registered
2022 Jail Break
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
PPF over top of vinyl stripes is going to make them look weird. Especially if they're all not covered in PPF.

TBH, I'd just cover the front fascia and the flares, maybe the mirrors and just do the rest in ceramic.
Maybe a misunderstanding here? I meant I would PPF the entire panel that has the stripes, not just the stripes. The front bumper which does have stripes is getting PPF as well.

How will that look weird to have PPF over the entire panel that has stripes?

·
Premium Member
2022 Charger SRT Jailbreak
98 Posts
Maybe a misunderstanding here? I meant I would PPF the entire panel that has the stripes, not just the stripes. The front bumper which does have stripes is getting PPF as well.

On my current Charger I had my guy cut the stripes out. The carbon fiber stripes have a matte appearance and the film would make the stripes appear glossy. The film also didn't adhere well to the texture of the stripes. I figured the stripes are decals and provide about the same protection.

·
Registered
'23 C8 3LT Convertible Z51
3,666 Posts

The PPF will not lay perfectly flat over the vinyl and the paint. As TNJed said above, they also don't adhere well, so you might get some lifting. A good shop will have to lay PPF around the stripes. If they slap them on over top, it'll change the look of the stripes to a gloss appearance. I don't doubt that someone somewhere will say that you can PPF over the stripes and that they can do it properly... but I haven't seen it. The problem is a situation produced called "lensing." That's caused by the small air gap between the PPF and the vinyl stripe that will be slightly visible.

Then, you have the added issue where, if the PPF lasts for the duration and starts to wear out, there's a high degree of likelihood that the PPF removal could damage the stripes. Peeling the film off after it's been on the car for months to a year or so is one thing... it's a bit more difficult after it's been on for 3+ years.

Thus, most installers will want to install around the vinyl if you want it to look right. If they do this though, this produces another issue. Even if they tighten the PPF to right up next to the vinyl, you're going to be left with numerous body length seams that will pick up dirt and it would be noticeable after a period of time. Probably not so big a deal on a black car, but you'd still end up with a lot of visible seams.

Reactions: TnJed

·
Registered
16 Challenger SRT Hellcat M6
1,260 Posts

·
HOTM Winner
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
12,075 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: audocat

·
HOTM Winner
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
12,075 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. So looks like I’ll be covering a good 60% of the car. My car is ordered with stripes and I hear they are decals and not paint. I was thinking putting PPF on them would protect them from peeling.

besides $$, is there anything that would be detrimental in just covering the entire car in PPF?

this is my bucket list car so I’ll keep it. Forever.
Keep in mind this stuff is not a forever covering. It's not like your grandmother's clear plastic couch cover lol. If youre keeping it forever you will eventually be replacing it all.

·
Registered
2022 Jail Break
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
View attachment 586156
View attachment 586160
View attachment 586158
View attachment 586157
View attachment 586159
View attachment 586155
I had everything PPF, but stripes,roof, and trunk. Car and rims ceramic coated. All windows tinted including windshield. 6,000.00.
Still considering rock guards.
Nice. Is that the factory carbon stripes? I was going between that color and gun-metal for my car(black). I went with gun metal but the carbon also looks good(if that's what you have).

·
Registered
2022 Jail Break
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Keep in mind this stuff is not a forever covering. It's not like your grandmother's clear plastic couch cover lol. If youre keeping it forever you will eventually be replacing it all.
I keep my cars a long time. My daily is a 2006 F150 I bought brand new. Still have it with 200k miles and will keep it until it turns into dust. My wife keeps hoping it will die but every time it goes down I fix it. Only thing that will stop me is if the frame just disintegrates, I can fix anything else on my own.

Yes I read they last 10 yrs. And then I'm thinking it may not be smart to cover the stripes because I'd think they would come off or get messed up when they remove the PPF........

Doing up to the stripes may be the best bet.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.