SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all my research and my hellcat Widebody being black, I think I am going to go with a SunTek Reaction PPF installer that is about four hours away. Am I crazy to drive my car that far away? The shop has great reviews and been doing it for a long time. Other shops by me seem okay too, but all do XPEL.

I’m worried about damage happening to the car during my drive though. I purchased rock guards and plan to install those at the dealership upon pickup. I heard you can get some samples from XPEL to just put on the car even if it looks ugly. Any recommendation would be great. Should I just drive with a bunch of automotive tape down the sides and front? 😂

I’ve debated looking at a U-HAUL trailer to tow it down there with my truck, but not really sure if that would help much being open.

There is a reputable installer about an hour from me that does Stek, but I want to go with SunTek. This drive is just scaring me though. Would suck to get down there and see nicks and chips on the car. I plan to drive during a quieter time on the road to get down there.

Also wanted to know peoples thoughts on stripes. Black paint with carbon stripes. The SunTek installer says they have no issues going over the stripes, but I’m guessing they would be glossy then and has anyone done this to carbon stripes and do they like the original matte or glossy look better? I’m sure they would cut to the edges of the stripes, but I hate the thought of them not being protected.

If anybody has any input they want to share, I’d greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Super Stock - Sinamon Stick, 2021 Durango SRT - Octane Red, 2018 Jeep JKU - Black
8 Posts
Lots of questions here! Here are some of my thoughts having done PPF and ceramic on a number of vehicles.
1. Pick the installer first, then the product. I have seen installer do way more damage than the PPF product. I know you have a black car and there is some feedback that XPEL can have an “orange” effect over time - but I had XPEL ultimate on my last black hellcat and never had an issue. You may want to consider a ceramic over the PPF to keep gloss and keep maintenance easier / longer.
2. In terms of the drive - I personally would not do it (more for time than the car). I don’t see them doing it in one day. And I would want paint correction before anything is laid down. If you have rock guards and standard / all season tires, your probably ok on side panels for a bit - but chips from other traffic is always a chance.
3. Stripes - I don’t have them, buthave friends that do. Your concerns/questions are valid. Friends have gone both ways (under ppf, over ppf). With the carbon - I would prefer to see the matte finish - but that leaves your exposed. It’s a tough one and a personal decision.

Net is - I would look a little harder at the quality of installers that are local. If you have a great installer - I would spend more time with them about your concerns on product and install and stay local if you can.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the response.

How long they take isn’t a big deal to me because we are making a trip out of it for work and seeing family.

My biggest concern is all these XPEL installers by me are quoting a “track package” for almost the cost to do the entire car with the SunTek installer. I would also say the SunTek installer is probably the best option out of 6-7 that I have checked out.

Going to keep thinking about it, but appreciate your comments. The prices these XPEL installers are throwing at me are ridiculous when I can get the whole car done by a legit shop for not much more.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have used the quick release blue painters tape in the past with good results as long as you are not driving in the rain.My installer is an xpel guy and says working with the preinstalled factory stripes can be a pita..takes some education of the owner as to what is possible with the very slight thickness differential..

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
585 Posts
Suntek, last I checked was the bottom of the barrel film, many other brands are way better. There is a reason the xpel package cost so much compared to the suntek package. Stek is a pretty awesome film and they have done a lot with different types of film If you are truly going to drive a long distance, just do he ghetto wrap of wide painters tape. That will get you where you need to be. Any film that yellows should be replaced, most all films carry a 10 year no yellowing warranty, if it changes colors its on them to replace. As for the stripes, you will never get a perfect seal along the stripes, they need placed over the film, or the film needs cut. When the seam starts to open, you get air, then water, then dirt then failure.
As stated above, make sure you are getting correction under the film first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts