SRT Hellcat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,766 Posts
I have a Redeye...the axle broke on stock power, so the axle is not reliable based on my personal experience 2 days ago. I am not sure about the DSS axles, however, they are rated at 1400 hp, which i will not modify the car anyway near that no. But what I know is the stock axle is not reliable given my experience.
They won't get any stronger than a Redeye/Demon axle. I've had the DSS axles, like I said, at least you can have them rebuilt.

Reactions: DGatzby

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,287 Posts
Your CV’s on the DSS axle is not even close to the big revised units on the Demon/Redeye. When I was having CV trouble with my ‘15 you cannot even find one of the new type of CV that we have on those OEM units. I blew every type of CV boot known to man on a DSS axle lowered. @TrackDay gets the Demon/RE axles, he HAD PROBLEMS and is lowered but after install of the new they survive without modification. Same track.

Also the shaft diameter on the Demon/RE unit is larger. You sure you installed the axle correct on the new diff??

The good part about the DSS axles is you can unbolt the CV’s at the spindle and differential and remove and replace the parts.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
968 Posts
Is there a difference in axles and diffs between the 2.62 and 3.09 for the Redeyes?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
6,163 Posts
Is there a difference in axles and diffs between the 2.62 and 3.09 for the Redeyes?
No.

Demon, Super Stock, Redeye, Widebody Hellcat, Widebody Scat Pack and Scat Pack 1320 all use the same HD 41-spline halfshafts.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yours is the first Redeye or Demon that I’ve heard of with a broken half shaft.
Has anyone else heard of any?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Cannot find any stock axles, i tried that first. Let me know if you can locate one and i will purchase.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Your CV’s on the DSS axle is not even close to the big revised units on the Demon/Redeye. When I was having CV trouble with my ‘15 you cannot even find one of the new type of CV that we have on those OEM units. I blew every type of CV boot known to man on a DSS axle lowered. @TrackDay gets the Demon/RE axles, he HAD PROBLEMS and is lowered but after install of the new they survive without modification. Same track.

Also the shaft diameter on the Demon/RE unit is larger. You sure you installed the axle correct on the new diff??

The good part about the DSS axles is you can unbolt the CV’s at the spindle and differential and remove and replace the parts.
I'm not sure if you can install these incorrectly bc it would cause the suspension not to line up and may trigger a code.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,766 Posts
Yours is the first Redeye or Demon that I’ve heard of with a broken half shaft.
Has anyone else heard of any?
I have not heard of any, that doesn't mean there haven't been any, but the fact that I've never heard of any tells me its really rare.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,287 Posts
I'm not sure if you can install these incorrectly bc it would cause the suspension not to line up and may trigger a code.
They can be installed incorrectly is my guess, I don’t know why or how, because it seems straight forward, and you won’t know until the seal leaks (yep, more than once for me - even dealer installed axles), or something was just a bit off and busts under a hard load.

Oh edit.. I have been through that rear suspension, there is no magic sensor present. If the speed sensors on the axles turn and the computer believes the speed makes sense, your good. Screw up the alignment of anything, even deathly off, it could give a rip.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
They can be installed incorrectly is my guess, I don’t know why or how, because it seems straight forward, and you won’t know until the seal leaks (yep, more than once for me - even dealer installed axles), or something was just a bit off and busts under a hard load.

Oh edit.. I have been through that rear suspension, there is no magic sensor present. If the speed sensors on the axles turn and the computer believes the speed makes sense, your good. Screw up the alignment of anything, even deathly off, it could give a rip.
I would definitely like to know how these items can be installed incorrectly, please someone chime in so i can know what to look for. I put more than 400 miles on the new differential before going to the track with no issues at all. It's my understanding the axles slid in and lock. The shop owner has over 30 yrs specializing in Mopar products. He quickly diagnosed the issues once car was removed from tow truck. The driver's rear wheel spent by hand freely. So, if there are some common errors during the installation process, please advise.

Thanks

·
Registered
2020 SRT SUPER STOCK HELLRAISIN
3,574 Posts
I would definitely like to know how these items can be installed incorrectly, please someone chime in so i can know what to look for. I put more than 400 miles on the new differential before going to the track with no issues at all. It's my understanding the axles slid in and lock. The shop owner has over 30 yrs specializing in Mopar products. He quickly diagnosed the issues once car was removed from tow truck. The driver's rear wheel spent by hand freely. So, if there are some common errors during the installation process, please advise.

Thanks
I kind of agree with you. It's going to go together and be ok or not. Maybe you could damage a boot or oil seal in the process, but neither will cause an axle to break. Here is 2020 RedEye AXLE PDF. Maybe this will help. I am shocked that stock axles are not available. Double check the PN.

Attachments

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
968 Posts
You should be able to talk to a dealer and see if they can locate one. I worked with Steve White and they were able to find a part locally in dealer stock for my Ram that was on backorder.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I kind of agree with you. It's going to go together and be ok or not. Maybe you could damage a boot or oil seal in the process, but neither will cause an axle to break. Here is 2020 RedEye AXLE PDF. Maybe this will help. I am shocked that stock axles are not available. Double check the PN.
A local contact dealer ran a national search for pn 53010849AB and only one dealer had it. I called that dealer and it was a damaged unit that was returned. It's beyond belief that a company that produces cars making 800hp or more, do not have available replacement parts that will likely fail!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
You should be able to talk to a dealer and see if they can locate one. I worked with Steve White and they were able to find a part locally in dealer stock for my Ram that was on backorder.
Called Steve White first. Part is on back order until Jan. 2021. SW does have the DSS for 1599.00 shipped

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Just a few pictures from breaking down the Redeye and seeing where it broke, which is near the hub. Also determined the ABS Tone ring was damaged and Mopar does not have any. So MMX had them....thank God! Since we have to wait for those, I ordered the DSS Drive Shaft CHSH36-A. So hopefully I am running by the weekend.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts