SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Problem with Redeye after 3.09 Diff. Install...HELP!

8K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  Blitz 
#1 ·
So I had 3.09 diff installed a couple weeks ago and the car was running great, no issues until I went to the drag strip tonight. I have 315/50/17 MT DRs. I did my usual burnout and then staged up and left the line, and the car fell on it's face. I got an ABS/STABILITRAK notification. Fortunately, I was able to coast to the first return exit onto the return road. Car had no power upon throttle, so I parked it and check underneath it. Initially I thought maybe the drive shaft or the axles. However, there was no noise at all coming from beneath the car or anywhere else. I believe something connected to the sensors came undone but I could not see it bc it was dark and I did not have my jack. Has anyone else had this experience?

#4 ·
Car would start but won't move. It backs up slowly but then stops. The issues per the notification received is related to ABS and Suspension systems. So I wonder if something was not securely connected when the differential was installed... I made a number of passes before the diff. install and not a single issue.

#5 ·
I guess I have to say this again. Nothing related to the suspension or ABS is taken apart during the Diff install. It's possible something got damaged yes. But it could also be a rock flying up off your tire or any number of other things. Also if there was damage why did it wait to be a problem? I guess it will have to go to the dealer.

If you want to drive it I might try to fully defeat the stability control and see if it gives the throttle back to you. But then remember , you will have no stability control so drive accordingly. Or call SRT and have it towed to the dealer.

#8 ·
If the wheel damages sensor wires and you have no speed signal from one wheel then the car may think it is going to go out of control and take the throttle from you. Yes press the stability control button one time and then a second time and hold. That may allow you to drive it to the dealer.
Lift the car and chech the shock and abs signal wires for damage from the 17" wheels. Tone ring replacement will require drive hub replacement I think. Wires may be able to be repaired if damaged. Shock wires are a ***** to repair but it can be done, I have done it.

#9 ·
Just made it back. So it turns out I broke an the axle on the driver's side. It broke by the differential according to the tech. at the shop i used to install the gear. Ordered 1400 hps overnight, so hopefully they arrive in time to be installed on tomorrow. This crazy, as I am on stock power! Thanks everyone for your input!

#16 ·
Hey Blitz. Glad to hear you identified your issue. A couple of questions....
Is your car a Redeye, and therefore an A8?
In your original post, you said you thought it might be a broken axle or driveshaft. And when you looked under the car, you didn’t see any issues. What was keeping the broken half shaft from hanging down?

#17 ·
Hi Ray, it's a redeye and i thought the same as you that the axle would be hanging or touching the ground. That's why i looked underneath in order to determine if something was out of line. It's my understanding it broke close to or in the differential. I will inspect further today bc it is puzzling that this happened on stock power with having made multiple passes on the 2.62s with no issues and same setup.

#18 ·
The only reliable axles for these cars that I've seen are the Redeye/Demon axles. The DSS axles are on borrowed time too but at least they can be rebuilt.

#19 ·
I have a Redeye...the axle broke on stock power, so the axle is not reliable based on my personal experience 2 days ago. I am not sure about the DSS axles, however, they are rated at 1400 hp, which i will not modify the car anyway near that no. But what I know is the stock axle is not reliable given my experience.

#23 ·
Your CV’s on the DSS axle is not even close to the big revised units on the Demon/Redeye. When I was having CV trouble with my ‘15 you cannot even find one of the new type of CV that we have on those OEM units. I blew every type of CV boot known to man on a DSS axle lowered. @TrackDay gets the Demon/RE axles, he HAD PROBLEMS and is lowered but after install of the new they survive without modification. Same track.

Also the shaft diameter on the Demon/RE unit is larger. You sure you installed the axle correct on the new diff??

The good part about the DSS axles is you can unbolt the CV’s at the spindle and differential and remove and replace the parts.

#30 ·
Your CV’s on the DSS axle is not even close to the big revised units on the Demon/Redeye. When I was having CV trouble with my ‘15 you cannot even find one of the new type of CV that we have on those OEM units. I blew every type of CV boot known to man on a DSS axle lowered. @TrackDay gets the Demon/RE axles, he HAD PROBLEMS and is lowered but after install of the new they survive without modification. Same track.

Also the shaft diameter on the Demon/RE unit is larger. You sure you installed the axle correct on the new diff??

The good part about the DSS axles is you can unbolt the CV’s at the spindle and differential and remove and replace the parts.
I'm not sure if you can install these incorrectly bc it would cause the suspension not to line up and may trigger a code.

#31 ·
Yours is the first Redeye or Demon that I’ve heard of with a broken half shaft.
Has anyone else heard of any?
I have not heard of any, that doesn't mean there haven't been any, but the fact that I've never heard of any tells me its really rare.

#36 ·
You should be able to talk to a dealer and see if they can locate one. I worked with Steve White and they were able to find a part locally in dealer stock for my Ram that was on backorder.

#40 ·
Just a few pictures from breaking down the Redeye and seeing where it broke, which is near the hub. Also determined the ABS Tone ring was damaged and Mopar does not have any. So MMX had them....thank God! Since we have to wait for those, I ordered the DSS Drive Shaft CHSH36-A. So hopefully I am running by the weekend.

#41 ·
Update: Got car up and running a few weeks back. Had shop installed the DSS axles, which I assisted along with the DSS Drive Shaft. At higher speeds, noticed the slight vibration some people mentioned. Call DSS who suggested i rotate the DS 180 degrees, which I did myself on jack stands. Torqued it back down and ran it about 160 with no issues. Took it out to the track and ran a best of 10.45 with a 1.4xx 60ft. Car is stock with added hard parts. Hopefully it runs better with weather chance soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.