SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just had my car retuned by the same tuner. First time he tuned it was a street tune since his Dyno software went out but he decided to tune my car on the street and seemed to be running fine.He told me to come back and have it retuned when I get back I to town. I just got it retuned yesterday by the same tuner but this time on the dyno.He told me it was super rich from the last time. He ran it pretty hard and then all of a sudden a small puddle of oil was on the ground towards the middle of the engine on the dyno and a bunch of blue smoke was coming out of the tailpipes.Smoke wasn't white but the color of the typical startup but excessive to the point they had to turn on the fans. The car was still drivable but it seemed to have a hard time starting. On the way home there was constant smoke coming out of the tailpipes. I will attach the current Dyno numbers. Mods are a 2.65 upper, jlt intake,and id1300s using HP tuners. I am in Albuquerque so I'm about 5,000 ft above sea level. Now my question is the block hurt or possible valve seals? or something else. Where would that oil be leaking from externally. I did also have a catch can. Car has 3800 miles on it.Do the dyno numbers look like a hurt engine?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is the car still smoking or clean run
So you and the dyno car can't figure out where some oil came from??????? I would go somewhere else!
So you and the dyno car can't figure out where some oil came from??????? I would go somewhere else!
Funny thing is it might not even been my car that was leaking oil it might have been some oil on the dyno but the tuner just noticed it but he had just walked in.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is the car still smoking or clean run now?
I don't know yet I'm going to have it towed I'm just taking proper precautions of not driving it. The shop agreed to do a leak down test and check my valve seals. I honestly think a couple valve seals went bad on the pull. It put down decent numbers.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Valve seals would not go bad from a dyno pull or tune change. Is the car smoking mostly at idle and part throttle? Does it diminish or even stop under boost? My hunch is you have a ring issue. How hot was it when you where doing these pulls? What did the coolant and oil temps get up too? How hot did your air intake get up too? I ask all these questions as I know from Hellcat engine tear downs piston to wall clearance is very tight and top ring gaps are set around .014-.018” which is very tight for a blown engine. What I have seen is with more then designed boost and HO output add in hot oil and coolant and high air intake temps pistons and rings get hotter then they where designed for and ring butting occurrs which can pop a ring land most times in a valve relief brow where they are thinnest and your done, new piston and rings time. Yes, do a leak down test, when good these engines are .5-1% at worst cold, hot it should be even less. If you have more then this don’t let anyone try and tell you it’s normal and ok, it’s not!! Do the test with 100 psi of air, anything less then 99 on the out let side something is up and it’s most likely blowing by the rings not valves unless you popped a brow and it’s piece got between the piston and a valve before being ejected out the exhaust valve. You may find it in your cats if the piece was big enough, this assuming it’s a ring issue. Hopefully it’s not.
You have a catch can? If yes, Any oil in it? Maybe it’s full and your sucking oil from it???
Good luck to you, please post outcome.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Valve seals would not go bad from a dyno pull or tune change. Is the car smoking mostly at idle and part throttle? Does it diminish or even stop under boost? My hunch is you have a ring issue. How hot was it when you where doing these pulls? What did the coolant and oil temps get up too? How hot did your air intake get up too? I ask all these questions as I know from Hellcat engine tear downs piston to wall clearance is very tight and top ring gaps are set around .014-.018” which is very tight for a blown engine. What I have seen is with more then designed boost and HO output add in hot oil and coolant and high air intake temps pistons and rings get hotter then they where designed for and ring butting occurrs which can pop a ring land most times in a valve relief brow where they are thinnest and your done, new piston and rings time. Yes, do a leak down test, when good these engines are .5-1% at worst cold, hot it should be even less. If you have more then this don’t let anyone try and tell you it’s normal and ok, it’s not!! Do the test with 100 psi of air, anything less then 99 on the out let side something is up and it’s most likely blowing by the rings not valves unless you popped a brow and it’s piece got between the piston and a valve before being ejected out the exhaust valve. You may find it in your cats if the piece was big enough, this assuming it’s a ring issue. Hopefully it’s not.
You have a catch can? If yes, Any oil in it? Maybe it’s full and your sucking oil from it???
Good luck to you, please post outcome.
I drove it home and it was constant smoking especially when I come to a stoplight and I hit the gas more smoke would come out so you may be correct and yes I was using the catch can and there was just a little bit of oil in there

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,129 Posts
Doesn't smoking under power mean rings and under coasting mean stem seals? Yes, I'm dying to hear what happened.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I drove it home and it was constant smoking especially when I come to a stoplight and I hit the gas more smoke would come out so you may be correct and yes I was using the catch can and there was just a little bit of oil in there
Is it white smoke or bluish? Does it dissipate on its own, ie evaporate or hang out until it blows away? Does it smell like oil or antifreeze? You may have just blown a head gasket. More in one pipe then the other or pretty equal between them?
No CEL codes??

[/QUOTE]
Doesn't smoking under power mean rings and under coasting mean stem seals? Yes, I'm dying to hear what happened.
Depends, In a blown motor under boost cylinder vacuum is almost nonexistent, at idle it can suck from valve guides or up past the ring. With that low of mileage I doubt valve seals until there’s bent valves

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it white smoke or bluish? Does it dissipate on its own, ie evaporate or hang out until it blows away? Does it smell like oil or antifreeze? You may have just blown a head gasket. More in one pipe then the other or pretty equal between them?
No CEL codes??

Depends, In a blown motor under boost cylinder vacuum is almost nonexistent, at idle it can suck from valve guides or up past the ring. With that low of mileage I doubt valve seals until there’s bent valves
[/QUOTE]
The smoke is kind of bluish definitely not white and no check engine light at idle it'll kind of dissipate but when I hit the gas it starts coming out.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Check coolant level in tank of both supercharger and engine coolant is either low?
Is engine oil level low? Remove oil fill cap, any foam under it?
When you start it from cold, after running 2-3 minutes does the upper radiator hose get hard? Squeeze it with you fingers and see but be careful of the SC belt and pulley with your fingers.
Wipe the inside of each exhaust tip exit, are they oily soot or dry soot?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,480 Posts
If smoke is black, its running rich. If blue, then its burning oil. If white its burning coolant.

R.K.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
2 Posts
I am sorry for your loss; that engine is blown in some way. I suspect the top of a piston is cracked or missing.
Its a shame that when we put our prized possessions on a Dyno, we have to sign our life away in regards to the car and it getting hurt.
I have seen 3 blown engines from 2 shops, it happens

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Maybe ship it to Dusterhoff.

I have a policy of excluding people from my life who have been a vector by which disaster or loss has found its way to me. I don't have the omniscience to figure out what combination of problems led up to THEM costing ME money, time, and grief.

I also don't have the time. Strike one: too-rich from prior tune. Strike two: blown motor. Strike three: he doesn't get the engine rebuilt at his expense.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Sorry you are having these issues but at this point I think you need to have some proper investigation done before any additional damage is done...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts