SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Brand new here as I'm looking to buy a hellcat.
I was provided a video of the car running, but my brother feels like the engine bay doesn't sound right.
Wanted to post in a forum here to see if you guys may be able to help.
I've been doing research on the cars, but am still a bit green. Would hate to buy one and it fail soon.

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,556 Posts
My advice is trust your brother.

Frankly I'd never buy a Hellcat without being able to view the car in person -- so to speak -- and kick the tires and light the fires. For the latter that's a 15 mile test ride followed by a 15 mile (same route) test drive.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,115 Posts
Well, in person viewing is nice for sure. RESEARCH the heck out of it, and specifically ask about any modifications. A weird noise? Is it still under warranty? If not, GET a warranty of some kind; or at least a dealership one for 90? days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.
There is a video attached for iCloud that you can download.
Basically, it sounds like the bearings may be bad or going bad.
However, found out today that the car still has a year left of the powertrain warranty or 10k more miles.
So I will probably be taking it in once I get it and see what my local dealer says.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.
There is a video attached for iCloud that you can download.
Basically, it sounds like the bearings may be bad or going bad.
However, found out today that the car still has a year left of the powertrain warranty or 10k more miles.
So I will probably be taking it in once I get it and see what my local dealer says.
Didn't want to sign in to iCloud to access the video. Didn't need to. I trust your brother.

If you are going to rely upon the warranty be sure there is one. You need something official that the power train warranty is still in effect -- the car might have been mod'd or tuned and even if it was put back to stock before it ended up for sale this can render the warranty useless -- and any remaining warranty will be transferred to you when you buy the car.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat M6
410 Posts
Hey Guys,
Brand new here as I'm looking to buy a hellcat.
I was provided a video of the car running, but my brother feels like the engine bay doesn't sound right.
Wanted to post in a forum here to see if you guys may be able to help.
I've been doing research on the cars, but am still a bit green. Would hate to buy one and it fail soon.

Thanks,
Jay
iCloud requires a download of the video file. Being a cautious former network cyber-security IT, I'm reluctant to download a file from a relatively new user with only a couple of posts (no offense!). Could you perhaps upload the video to YouTube and post the link?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,
Totally understand the risk of the video file, and no offense, as I'm in IT as well.
At any rate, here is the link to the car running. Only video that I have gotten of the car. The sound is not the best as it was an older iPhone, or that's what I was told.
Please let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger SRT Hellcat
951 Posts
A little hard to tell from that video for me, but does seem on the noisy side. What does it sound like when the car is turned off? My supercharger would continue making noise for a second or two after shutting it down until everything came to a stop.

It looks stock other than the catch can and the shifter, but have you verified that it hasn’t ever been tuned and that the warranty is actually still intact?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,115 Posts
Are the back tire/wheel stock? They seem to stick out a bit, however I am not a Challenger expert either............. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for the late response guys.
Was able to pick up the car and it actually was in much better shape than the pics and video showed!
The paint has no scratches or blemishes. Other than the shift handle and the catch can, everything is stock.
Verified with the VIN with my local Dodge dealer that the warranty was still intact, and was also able to purchase a Dodge Mopar factory extended warranty.
The tire are 305 BF Goodrich on all fours.
I have an inspection schedule for next Monday morning, so I will know much more about the car.
I was provided with the original Window Sticker as this was a one owner Hellcat.

Jay

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
899 Posts
Hmm. Congrats on buying a car you won't get to see for 3 months? If they're anything like my Dodge dealership, that's about how long they take to do engine work. This is of course assuming the car isn't throwing a P1400 engine code... then the manufacturer has every right to discard your warranty (AS-IS sales are a bit of a rhymes with itch). FYI, P1400 code more or less disqualifies the car from ever having a powertrain warranty due to having been tuned/PCM swapped. I sure hope you checked that before buying a car with an obviously bad engine.

Dealers will tell you lots of things, but it's the manufacturer, not the dealer that OKs warranty work. And, when you try to warranty an engine or supercharger, they're going to really, really look into the vehicle history.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Guys,
Got the car back today and came back with a clean bill of health.
No tune on the PCM.
Supercharger is fine.
All that was mentioned that the brake pads were about 50%.
They also did the catalytic converter recall and updated the PCM.
Drove the car tonight and found nothing out of the ordinary.

Super fun car to drive, and probably the best car I have owned, and I thought my 2018 Mustang GT was nice!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Thanks for the update. Glad it worked out for you. Is your brother going to get a ride in the new car?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts