SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Process to register California title for out-of-state purchase

466 Views 17 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Vegaskeith
I am planning to buy a Hellcat from an out-of-state dealership. The dealership told me they cannot do the CA registration for me and I need to do it by myself. They are willing to provide any document that is needed.

Do anyone have done this before and what is the process and document/forms required? Thanks.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see they listed some documents here:

However I know it may be too generic because a couple years ago I have done it and the CA DMV asked for different document (unfortuantely I forgot the names of those material).

Also I remember someone in this forum mentioned that his out-of-state purchase does not have CA emission sticker under the hood so it is only 49-state compliant. So CA DMV refused to register his purchase. Does all Hellcat made nowadays have the 50-state emission sticker?

· Registered
2022 Hellcat Widebody Tripple Nickel, black carbon stripes, blackout emblems
18 Posts
I think you have to pay for the 50 state emission sticker. I believe it's an option you need to select as part of your vehicle options.

· Registered
326 Posts
I’ve done it before,first is smog check then you need to go to the DMV. They’re going to check your emissions label and verify the Vin. The dealer should give you a bill of sale and the MSO, which is the manufactures statement of origin. Be careful on the paperwork about the date that you put when the vehicle first arrived in California that’s when the clock starts ticking. If the car does not have California emissions, you will not be allowed to register it in California until it has 7500 miles. Note : yes it needs to smogged and certificate even though it’s brand new, it’s from out of state.

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
806 Posts
I'm not sure which dealer you're buying from, but I bought a 50 state car from Cummins in Kentucky and shipped it to California. They did their best to calculate California fees and paid California directly. That being said, get it smogged and get to the DMV to get the vin verified/car registered right away! I believe you have three weeks and California is not bashful about penalties.

· Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
179 Posts
I’ve done it before,first is smog check then you need to go to the DMV. They’re going to check your emissions label and verify the Vin. The dealer should give you a bill of sale and the MSO, which is the manufactures statement of origin. Be careful on the paperwork about the date that you put when the vehicle first arrived in California that’s when the clock starts ticking. If the car does not have California emissions, you will not be allowed to register it in California until it has 7500 miles. Note : yes it needs to smogged and certificate even though it’s brand new, it’s from out of state.
This is 100% correct. Bought my HC out of texas and had it shipped to the house. Mine had a bit over 10k miles on it so it was fairly easy process.

· Registered
121 Posts
I am planning to buy a Hellcat from an out-of-state dealership. The dealership told me they cannot do the CA registration for me and I need to do it by myself. They are willing to provide any document that is needed.

Do anyone have done this before and what is the process and document/forms required? Thanks.
I was in a similar boat a few months ago. Feel free to PM me if my thread doesn't help: Dealer can't select option NAE California...
Excerpt from the thread:
Thanks to an eagle-eyed member (@FN_COBRA 🙏) here I learned that there is another emissions sticker option that will work in California and all 50 states: NAS, which is 50 State Compliant. So a HC can come into Ca (and the other crazy smog states) as new with either NAS selected or NAE, which is CA Compliant (If it's CA compliant it's also 50 State Compliant). Either one of these codes, once selected, will make the car good to register in any state.

Another option is to register outta state until 7500 miles like a few of you mentioned and then bring in as used at that odometer mark.

· Registered
391 Posts
I bought one out of state and registered in california. You will have to take your paperwork to dmv, do the vin verification, and verify taxes were paid. CA DMV will issue you registration.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

· Registered
10 Posts
I think you have to pay for the 50 state emission sticker. I believe it's an option you need to select as part of your vehicle options.
No charge on CA emissions sticker.

I’ve done quite a few out of state purchases for CA. Make sure the dealer sends you the original Statement of Origin. It’s basically the car’s birth certificate. Take the car to get smogged, do a VIN check at the DMV. Then take all these things to the DMV, pay for your sales tax and tags and you’re done.

· Registered
121 Posts
No charge on CA emissions sticker.

I’ve done quite a few out of state purchases for CA. Make sure the dealer sends you the original Statement of Origin. It’s basically the car’s birth certificate. Take the car to get smogged, do a VIN check at the DMV. Then take all these things to the DMV, pay for your sales tax and tags and you’re done.
Correct, it's a zero-dollar option on a new vehicle, but in my experience some dealers in some states couldn't add the following codes, the boxes were greyed out in the ordering software at the dealer. My post above has the two option codes needed to register a new Hellcat in California (not waiting the 7500 miles). Have your dealer see if they can add option code NAS or NAE.

· Registered
10 Posts
Correct, it's a zero-dollar option on a new vehicle, but in my experience some dealers in some states couldn't add the following codes, the boxes were greyed out in the ordering software at the dealer. My post above has the two option codes needed to register a new Hellcat in California (not waiting the 7500 miles). Have your dealer see if they can add option code NAS or NAE.
That’s odd. I’ve never had a dealer that couldn’t add the CA emissions. As long as your method works, it should be fine. Also, don’t take delivery of an out of state car without a picture of the emissions label. It should clearly state CA OBD below the federal portion.

· Registered
In The Market
2,384 Posts
Back in 09, the R/T was purchased in Allentown due to whore dealer Normandin here in San Jose marking them up to 45k. Got it for 30. Had to get it smogged. Then a trip to DMV. That’s like a trip to Ellis Island in these parts. Lucky to get by the Taco Truck. A real PIA.

· Registered
29 Posts
I am an expert in this field.

IF it has a 50 State emissions sticker, no issues at all. IF you register within one year from date of purchase, AND it was NOT registered in another state, you must pay CA sales tax when using the MSO on an original title. Most states are like this, they want the sales tax on any non-titled vehicle. It makes sense.
\
IF it is registered in another state as a 49-state emissions car, you MUST wait 1 year and 7,500 miles to title. If it is a Montana LLC car, as I do because I have two legit MT LLC for 20 years, just registered to your LLC for a year, NO sales tax. Wait one year and 7,500 miles, get an emissions check, VIN verification form, and pay the state registration fees. About 1.1G or so to register.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts