SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1130 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a slow but steady build up of my 2018 plum crazy hellcat challenger A8. My idea of this car it to build up horsepower with supporting mods, run a 9.99 at the track while doing it all on pump gas and looking dead stock.. Can I do it? I'm not sure but I'm going to have fun trying! I picked the car up on May 23 and immediately installed my UPR fender mount catch can, K&N drop in filter, metco oil filler tube breather and metco idler pulleys . I'm not going to bother posting much on them because they are basic upgrades that everyone seen a million times. Then after driving my car for a week or so and putting on my break in miles (roughly 1100 miles) I took the car to the dealer for my "break in inspection " . Then I installed my 3.09 gear set with differential brace and 1 piece aluminum G force driveshaft .. Nothing new there it's been done a million times also . I found a big difference for street driving ... very happy so far with the upgrades ..
I tried a fastman 98mm throttle body but I kept throwing a P2173 code every 80 miles or so. So I removed it until I got my unlocked ecu back from HPtuners .

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So now comes the mod I have been waiting for..... The "demon breath" I was lucky enough to get my hands on a brand new in the box demon supercharger ( thanks AJ!!) I acutally had this in my garage since December of 2017 lol.. But I finally got to install it.. I had a friend come over and give me a hand to lift it out the hellcat supercharger and lift in the demon supercharger.. They weigh over 100lbs and it's awkward to remove/replace with marking things up by yourself... it took 2 hours from hood open to hood close to complete... that included swaping lids for the stealth look , my stock fuel injectors , taking pictures, and "burping" the coolant system.. Btw the tazer made burping the system a breeze using "cool down" mode. On the initial shake down drives I took it easy making sure everything was secure with no leaks. Then I would blip the throttle to see where my AFR's were. They would got 11.5- 11.7 on the dash so it tested it very conservative and saw 14 psi of boost and 11.5 -11.7 AFR. I did not do any long hard pulls because it was not tuned.. That happened a week later (June 18 2018). My son and I drove 5 hours to OST dyno in portersville PA. There I met Mike and his son Micah.. We chatted for a bit then I had the unlocked pcm installed ( I had it shipped from HPtuners to OST dyno) . Mike confirmed read/ write on the new pcm then Micah loaded the car on the dyno. After a quick test to make sure it strapped down good. Micah swapped in the ID 1050 injectors I brought (I'm planning ahead) while Mike started on my base tune. After a quick leak test Mike loaded the base tune and fired up the car.. And did a series idle and part throttle tunes . It only took him a few pulls to tweak WOT. (Experience goes a long way) . The last number I saw was about 670 rwhp 625rwtq on Mike and mustang dyno. In 90F+ temps with crazy humidity.. My air intake temps were 153F and this was on 91 octane fuel. I asked Mike for a conservative tune ... I like to take baby steps . I was busy looking over logs . I was more interested in lambda , inj duty cycle, knock, fuel trims, etc.. This just the beginning and wanted a solid safe tune to start with. .... On a side note with the heat and humidity my car barely got 14psi of boost( on my way home after the heat and humidity was gone and temps dropped to the low 60 F's I was getting a steady 15 psi of boost) .. I had the rev limiter raised up and my shift points set to 6500 rpms . Im very happy with the out come because we tuned the car in terrible conditions on 91 octane pump gas .... It can only get better from here... I will be data logging like crazy and then start sneaking up on the octane and more aggressive tunes .
This may not be for everyone but it's exactly what I'm looking for.. I'm not a hard core racer ... thus is a toy and a hobby for me.. I like the stealth look .. When I open the hood I can "yes its all stock..."

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
5,006 Posts
Your one sneaky fellow....I also like the stealth look.

This is going to be a nice build.

Reactions: hpindy

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your one sneaky fellow....I also like the stealth look.

This is going to be a nice build.
All upgraded will be hidden to the eye.. I have a lot of plans ... but it will be done in baby steps. I didn't bother with a stock base line because we all know what these cars make stock. This supercharger with a conservative 91 tune is my baseline from this point forward.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
727 Posts
Great project, best of luck, thanks for sharing so we can follow your progress. Oh how awesome that picture of the brand new Demon blower in the box is :D

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
5,006 Posts
Where are you located?

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
5,006 Posts
My parents are on simcoe in Brechin. If you ever want to go to the track let me know.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My parents are on simcoe in Brechin. If you ever want to go to the track let me know.
I'm in Jackson's point .. I'm about 35-40 mins from brechin

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
5,006 Posts
Cool my buddys parents have a place there on Hedge rd. There on the lake near the black river right where that long pier is.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
5,006 Posts
If you ever want to go to the track let me know just shoot me a pm. I was there two weeks ago it was hot and humid. They set a record for the amount of entries for a test and tune there were over 160 cars. I ended up meeting a guy with a hellcat while I was there. We were the only hellcats that day.

IMG_2690.JPG
IMG_2681.JPG
View attachment 463599
IMG_2685.JPG

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you ever want to go to the track let me know just shoot me a pm. I was there two weeks ago it was hot and humid. They set a record for the amount of entries for a test and tune there were over 160 cars. I ended up meeting a guy with a hellcat while I was there. We were the only hellcats that day.

View attachment 463595 View attachment 463597 View attachment 463599 View attachment 463601
We will for sure .. Now that I have my baseline done I need to track test it ....

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,468 Posts
Good luck to you sir, but if you mean 93 octane pump gas, I say 9's are not going to happen. If by pump gas you mean E85, then I say you can do it.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good luck to you sir, but if you mean 93 octane pump gas, I say 9's are not going to happen. If by pump gas you mean E85, then I say you can do it.
I have many tricks up my sleeve that i will be testing.. I have 94 octane pump gas local to me so that`s the pump fuel i will be using ... I will also be using Q16 for all out performance . Even if I don`t make 9.99 on 94 octane pump fuel I still want to see how close I can get.... To me this will be a fun journey no matter the outcome to be honest .

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
788 Posts
Nice project. Best of luck, thanks for sharing so we can follow your progress.

Reactions: hpindy

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
488 Posts
Very interesting

·
Administrator
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,642 Posts
Nice build, I like your approach. I'm looking forward to see how you do at the track. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So tonight I reinstalled my fastman 99mm throttle body and a bwoody tensioner idler . I like the extra wrap on the supercharger pulley. Is it overkill??? That's what I do lol.. I want ZERO belt slip in the future .. I add 8% to the throttle body tables. ( 99 is about 8% larger then 92) . I will be datalogging till the weekend and tweak as Necessary ..
I will post my findings ......
I also lowered my fan settings to match my 180F thermostat..

1 - 20 of 1130 Posts