SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Recently sealed the deal on a 2018 (yes, 2018) Hellcat Widebody with 15 miles on it. I have a minor concern that it probably wasn't run for more than a few minutes at a time, over and over again, during the course of it's time on the lot until I bought it (20 Jan 2020). Is there anything recommended that I should inspect before driving it home? That said, I did closely inspect the exterior of the car, on which there were swirl marks out the wahzoo, presumably from being washed a few dozen times. The dealer assured me they would buff it out before delivery, though I remain unconvinced. Will likely drive it immediately to a paint correction place after I pick it up. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
276 Posts
congrats! pics!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,499 Posts
Hi all. Recently sealed the deal on a 2018 (yes, 2018) Hellcat Widebody with 15 miles on it. I have a minor concern that it probably wasn't run for more than a few minutes at a time, over and over again, during the course of it's time on the lot until I bought it (20 Jan 2020). Is there anything recommended that I should inspect before driving it home? That said, I did closely inspect the exterior of the car, on which there were swirl marks out the wahzoo, presumably from being washed a few dozen times. The dealer assured me they would buff it out before delivery, though I remain unconvinced. Will likely drive it immediately to a paint correction place after I pick it up. Thanks for any help!
You can ask for an oil/filter service. You might get a bit of pushback from the dealer. Dodge doesn't consider the 6 month clock running while the car is on the lot.

While the oil might have picked up some bit of water from the cold start and cold running so when you drive the car drive the car around town in stop and go traffic until the oil temperature gets to 212F or higher. If it is cool or cold where you are it can take some time to reach 212F.

At 212F this boils the water out of the oil and the water -- in vapor form -- is removed by the crankcase ventilation system.

What I did with my Hellcat is I drove the car around 500 miles then had the oil/filter service done. Then I had the oil/filter service done again at 2K miles. Then at 5K miles. Then every 5K miles (or 6 months) since. Car has just over 19K miles now and will be going in for its 20K mile oil/filter service and a brake fluid flush/bleed sometime next month.

Be sure the tire pressures are set correctly. Unfortunately you can't depend upon the dealer to do this. At least this was my experience with 2 Dodge car purchases at two different dealers. In both cases the tire pressures were left high (~45psi) by the lack of any real pre delivery preparation. The correct cold pressure is 32psi I think. Check the tag on the door jam.

For the front splitter protectors these are molded with "To Be Removed By Dealer" (or wording to that effect). If you want to leave them on fine. Your car. If you want them off ask for them to be removed if they are not already removed. If you have them off my advice would be to save them.

For inspection you can treat the car like you would a used car. Check all body panel fits/gaps. Check the trunk hinge and hood hinge hardware for any signs of wrenching. It is not unknown for one or both to have been wrenched on to loosen the trunk lid/hood to improve its alignment/fit. (My new 2018 Scat Pack apparently had this done. My Hellcat had no signs of wrenching.)

Check the fasteners around the front of the car. Check the bolts that hold the front fenders on. If you see signs of wrenching on these that's a bit more of a concern. It could be the factory installed radiator manifested a leak and had to be replaced. But it could be due to some accident damage.

Likewise both door hinge hardware should have no signs of any wrenching.

Check the tail light fits.

Be sure all keys work.

I would urge you to read the section in the owners manual on "break in" and follow the guidelines. As the engine breaks in you will be amazed at how much harder the engine pulls.

Remember the car is very powerful and treat it with the respect it deserves.

Enjoy your new car.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can ask for an oil/filter service. You might get a bit of pushback from the dealer. Dodge doesn't consider the 6 month clock running while the car is on the lot.

While the oil might have picked up some bit of water from the cold start and cold running so when you drive the car drive the car around town in stop and go traffic until the oil temperature gets to 212F or higher. If it is cool or cold where you are it can take some time to reach 212F.

At 212F this boils the water out of the oil and the water -- in vapor form -- is removed by the crankcase ventilation system.

What I did with my Hellcat is I drove the car around 500 miles then had the oil/filter service done. Then I had the oil/filter service done again at 2K miles. Then at 5K miles. Then every 5K miles (or 6 months) since. Car has just over 19K miles now and will be going in for its 20K mile oil/filter service and a brake fluid flush/bleed sometime next month.

Be sure the tire pressures are set correctly. Unfortunately you can't depend upon the dealer to do this. At least this was my experience with 2 Dodge car purchases at two different dealers. In both cases the tire pressures were left high (~45psi) by the lack of any real pre delivery preparation. The correct cold pressure is 32psi I think. Check the tag on the door jam.

For the front splitter protectors these are molded with "To Be Removed By Dealer" (or wording to that effect). If you want to leave them on fine. Your car. If you want them off ask for them to be removed if they are not already removed. If you have them off my advice would be to save them.

For inspection you can treat the car like you would a used car. Check all body panel fits/gaps. Check the trunk hinge and hood hinge hardware for any signs of wrenching. It is not unknown for one or both to have been wrenched on to loosen the trunk lid/hood to improve its alignment/fit. (My new 2018 Scat Pack apparently had this done. My Hellcat had no signs of wrenching.)

Check the fasteners around the front of the car. Check the bolts that hold the front fenders on. If you see signs of wrenching on these that's a bit more of a concern. It could be the factory installed radiator manifested a leak and had to be replaced. But it could be due to some accident damage.

Likewise both door hinge hardware should have no signs of any wrenching.

Check the tail light fits.

Be sure all keys work.

I would urge you to read the section in the owners manual on "break in" and follow the guidelines. As the engine breaks in you will be amazed at how much harder the engine pulls.

Remember the car is very powerful and treat it with the respect it deserves.

Enjoy your new car.
Thank you for taking the time to write that. I will follow your recommendations to the letter as I’ll likely keep this car for much longer than usual!

·
Registered
276 Posts
also make sure it comes with 3 keys (2 red, 1 black). If not I would negotiate that they knock some $ off purchase price or provide you a third key.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
565 Posts
I guess my question is Why did you buy a new 2018 instead of a 2019 WB HC or Redeye? What did you buy it for?
The last year before a model change or upgrade is always the worst to buy because for only a small amount more you get the newer model and upgrades, now or used in a couple of years....

Image result for hmmm meme

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,321 Posts
I would have them install a new battery. That battery has one, maybe two seasons left max. You will be getting 1/2 of the life that you normally would out of the one in there currently compared to the new one that it should have.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
1,385 Posts
Congrats! Lots of good advice here.

They should be willing to do the oil change. The battery will probably be warrantied from the "in service" date of the car, so I wouldn't worry much on that,

2018 and up also get Android Auto stock. VERY handy....use it all the time.

Absolutely LOVE my 2018 Widebody...I'm sure you will too! Pics, colors, options all good info to share. ;)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess my question is Why did you buy a new 2018 instead of a 2019 WB HC or Redeye? What did you buy it for?
The last year before a model change or upgrade is always the worst to buy because for only a small amount more you get the newer model and upgrades, now or used in a couple of years....

Image result for hmmm meme
I shopped far and wide. I live in the Bay Area (CA) and looked in every surrounding state, plus colorado, Washington and Arizona. (The last two don't charge sales tax for non-residents) Anyway, in so doing I discovered two things; All Redeyes are out of my price range. I wanted to stay as well under $70k as possible and have things like, leather, the Harman/Kardon system, and the widebody package. I also discovered that I really don't like the dual snorkel hood! After I figured that part out, the selection narrowed a lot. I began looking for a new 2018 Hellcat widebody, preferably black. That's exactly what I found, 21 miles away from my house, with $16k off sticker. It was an easy decision.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great advice per usual, this forum is filled with awesome knowledgeable members.

I personally would ask for an oil change like someone else suggested.

Congrats on the new Hellcat, we look forward to seeing photos.

- Alexis
Yes ma'am. First starting poking around here shortly after I ordered a Scat Pack a while back. Fortunate to have access to so much knowledge! And yes I will post pics once I take delivery of the car.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats! Lots of good advice here.

They should be willing to do the oil change. The battery will probably be warrantied from the "in service" date of the car, so I wouldn't worry much on that,

2018 and up also get Android Auto stock. VERY handy....use it all the time.

Absolutely LOVE my 2018 Widebody...I'm sure you will too! Pics, colors, options all good info to share. ;)
I'm an iphone guy, but it also has Apple carplay which I think is very handy. Here's the window sticker if you're interested:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts