SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, apologies in advance if this has been asked/answered before.

I was initially considering a new 2020 Scat Pack due to the Dodge Power Days rebates, and even looking at new 2019 Hellcats that are still on dealer lots.

Then, I started looking at used Hellcats and it seems there are several very low mileage examples out there for not much more than a loaded 2020 Scat Pack (i.e. low $50's). However, once I run the car through KBB and NADA, it seems their market value is closer to mid-$40's, which is the max that my credit union would finance for.

In this group's experience, how flexible are dealers on used Hellcat pricing? Given that some dealers such as Koon's are willing to order brand new models at 4% below invoice which brings a base Hellcat to mid-$50's as it is, is there much room for negotiation here?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
8,334 Posts
Unfortunately for you book value and real world market value on these cars are vastly different. You can use the book for toilet paper and auto loans but that’s about it with certain cars. Some are worth more in the real world than on paper and the Hellcat is one of them. Right now with the large discounts on new ones, I would go that route. Until late 2019 the price disparity was much bigger and so used was the way to go if on a budget. Now? Not so sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately for you book value and real world market value on these cars are vastly different. You can use the book for toilet paper and auto loans but that’s about it with certain cars. Some are worth more in the real world than on paper and the Hellcat is one of them. Right now with the large discounts on new ones, I would go that route. Until late 2019 the price disparity was much bigger and so used was the way to go if on a budget. Now? Not so sure.
Right, and normally I’d agree with you - especially on older, out of production enthusiast cars. I’d feel differently if Hellcats were no longer being produced or if the newer ones were somehow worse. However, it’s almost the opposite - the 2020s are all now wide-bodies and the infotainment has been updated to include Apple CarPlay/Android Auto since 2017.
However, given the number of these that Dodge made and how many of them are now available as leases expired, it seemed that used Hellcat pricing was more in line with what other 3-4 year old FCA cars were worth. If a new 2020 can be ordered for mid-$50’s, it seems crazy that dealers are asking anywhere near that for a 2016 with 16k miles. I’m also seeing still new 2019s priced at just around $60k flat with the $7k rebate.

In any case, appreciate the feedback and I guess I’ll continue to keep an eye out. If I can talk them down to high-$40s it might make sense if the car is mechanically and cosmetically clean. Otherwise you’re probably right that it’s worth it to pay just a bit more for a new one.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Right, and normally I’d agree with you - especially on older, out of production enthusiast cars. I’d feel differently if Hellcats were no longer being produced or if the newer ones were somehow worse. However, it’s almost the opposite - the 2020s are all now wide-bodies and the infotainment has been updated to include Apple CarPlay/Android Auto since 2017.
However, given the number of these that Dodge made and how many of them are now available as leases expired, it seemed that used Hellcat pricing was more in line with what other 3-4 year old FCA cars were worth. If a new 2020 can be ordered for mid-$50’s, it seems crazy that dealers are asking anywhere near that for a 2016 with 16k miles. I’m also seeing still new 2019s priced at just around $60k flat with the $7k rebate.

In any case, appreciate the feedback and I guess I’ll continue to keep an eye out. If I can talk them down to high-$40s it might make sense if the car is mechanically and cosmetically clean. Otherwise you’re probably right that it’s worth it to pay just a bit more for a new one.
Thing is it’s not the dealers. It's the market. People are paying for used ones. It’s not just dealers deciding to create a market for them. Last Wed. I watched a 2016 M with 30k and no roof bring almost $44k at a wholesale - dealer only auction that we attend every week for inventory. That’s what a dealer payed before marking it up for a profit. There were multiple bidders. If that car was an A8 with a roof it wouldve brought even more. The used market is very strong for Hellcats. Not sure why, considering your point that theyre still making them and also that new ones can be had for not a lot more. Not all new ones are wide bodies unless youre talking Charger, and so a new standard body Challenger is a lot of new car for not a lot more than a used one. Maybe used buyers are just outright not looking into new because MSRP is so outrageous and they have no clue about Power Dollars and dealer discounts. Def seems odd how strong the used market is right now.

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,979 Posts
It also makes a difference if you want options. Any new one going for mid fifties will be base model. Personally...I’d be fine with that but some people want options. Plenty of Hellcats out there for mid 40’s with around 30k miles or so. You are wise to go the Hellcat route if the same money buys a new 485hp scat pack or a 707hp Hellcat. The difference is noticeable.

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,449 Posts
Slow is on it! I'd like to think it's a buyers market. Can make an offer if they don't want to bite then it can rot! If they want to sell it you might get a deal. Just have to play the BS game. Hellcats are worth it though. Good Luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another point to consider is that for some people PD does not mean anything as they will be financing the car either way. So, to them, used is a better option.
I’m not sure what you mean by this - the power days rebate applies whether you finance or not, right? It was my understanding that you only forfeit it if you take them up on the 0% for 36mo deal, which you’d have to be crazy to do since the interest savings is only a fraction of the rebate. Otherwise, whether you finance through FCA or your own lender, the rebate applies?

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Another point to consider is that for some people PD does not mean anything as they will be financing the car either way. So, to them, used is a better option.
Ya I'm not sure what this means. Power Dollar rebate certainly applies when financing or not unless this is something that has been missed on here for a long time. With so many people here taking advantage of it over the last 10 months or so I would think this would have come up before.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You're timing is off.

As someone whose been looking at the used hellcat market for a couple months but wasn't ready to buy til now, I can assure you it's just a matter of the wrong time. Last month I couldn't pull the trigger on a brand new octane edition for 56k. Now dealers are asking that on used.

Covid killed the new hellcat inventory (as well as most other New cars). Used cars are going for crazy numbers at auctions and that is translalating to dealer prices obviously.

1 month ago the best examples of used charger hellcats under 30k miles were going for mid to high 40's, some were low 40's, others low 50's. Take a look now. They are all low to mid 50's with only a handful available in the high 40's.

Unfortunately I wasn't ready to the pull the trigger until now. The move now is wait for new inventory to start hitting the lots in the next month or 2 and used will fall back to where it should be.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,158 Posts
Unfortunately for you book value and real world market value on these cars are vastly different. You can use the book for toilet paper and auto loans but that’s about it with certain cars.
Largely unrelated, but for two days now I've been trying to find out what my '20 Trackhawk is worth, as I'm selling it.
Well, there is no KBB or other value to be found, it seems. Too few of them out there, I guess.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,979 Posts
Largely unrelated, but for two days now I've been trying to find out what my '20 Trackhawk is worth, as I'm selling it.
Well, there is no KBB or other value to be found, it seems. Too few of them out there, I guess.
Oh...um...it’s $48k. Send me an IM I’ll help you out and do $49k just cause I’m a good guy.

:)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,158 Posts
Oh...um...it’s $48k. Send me an IM I’ll help you out and do $49k just cause I’m a good guy.

:)
Ouch! That'd be a $20 depreciation per mile, for the 1,700 it has on it.
Could you at least go $49.5K?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,979 Posts
Oh what the heck...I will meet you in the middle at $49250. There. Now I’ve done my good deed for the year.

just a side note....looks like the 2019’s are wholesaling mid $70k’s. I’d expect a 2020 to be around $80k But in this Corona era it would be hard to call. Seems to me the 2019’s were wholesaling less than that just a few months ago so it seems the value do appear to be trending higher now a days. Amazingly I do see Hellcats trending up too. 2016’s with lower miles trending $48k-$49k. Wow. I’d sell my 2016 with 4300 miles on it still under 3/36 warranty for $50k no problem.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,158 Posts
Well, one thing with the 'Hawks is that they can be optioned to over 100K, basically with only three very expensive options.
Mine was lightly (literally) optioned since I prefer performance, so it was "only" 83K MSRP.
I'll be very lucky to get 70K, is my guess.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,158 Posts
See what GivemetheVin.com will give you.
That one actually recognized the VIN, which is a first. But, "This particular vehicle exceeds a system parameter..."
Supposedly I will now be contacted by someone or something, as they how have my email address and phone number.

I may owe you one for that lead, NoCoHC. That outfit seems legit (so far).
Haven't got a dollar number yet, but it's off to a good start.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,158 Posts
There's never a bad time to buy a 'Cat.
At least not if you like to smile and have fun.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,158 Posts
Haven't got a dollar number yet, but it's off to a good start.
Did get a number, by the way. But it's $17,600 below MSRP, which is a bit too low for my liking.
Over $10 per mile is a hefty depreciation.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts