SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Charger Hellcat
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on my fourth Charger and my second Hellcat. My 2020 Hellcat was the best one that I ever owned. I took delivery of a new 2021 Hellcat last Saturday and expected it to be built as well as my 2020, but to my horror, it wasn't. Just a few examples: passenger door panel loose and rattles, unattached door moldings, rubber trim below windshield crimped, unattached carpeting and interior covers, fabric sticking out of the leather front passenger seat, trunk and hood out of alignment, unattached rubber trim around rear window. There's nothing to protect the front bumper from getting scraped by a parking stop. The overall quality of materials and craftsmanship is so disappointing. What on earth happened? Has anyone else noticed the same on their 2021?

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,203 Posts
Wouldn't surprise me, I've read about a lot more quality issues in 2021 Hellcat vehicles than previous years. Maybe COVID has something to do with it, shortage of people in the plants possibly causing people to cut corners to keep production schedules.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,616 Posts
My 2020 Frostbite WB Charger goes in Monday for a completely new front bumper. I noticed in late July when detailing the front for the first real time in good light that there were little yellowish green dots in the paint on the front bumper. I thought it was bug juice, cleaned it with bug cleaner, washed it, clayed it, finally did the fingernail scratch and realized it was under the paint.

I was mixed on getting it done as it is hard to see on the color, but I figured if I think about it and wait it won't be covered and what if some day later it gets worse as the paint ages.

Impressively, FCA accepted the more expensive fix from the dealer estimate and is not sanding down and repainting my bumper, but providing a completely new and painted bumper. He did put in the report we've had 9 SRTs in the family including 4 Hellcat models 😂

·
Registered
2021 Charger Hellcat
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 2020 Frostbite WB Charger goes in Monday for a completely new front bumper. I noticed in late July when detailing the front for the first real time in good light that there were little yellowish green dots in the paint on the front bumper. I thought it was bug juice, cleaned it with bug cleaner, washed it, clayed it, finally did the fingernail scratch and realized it was under the paint.

I was mixed on getting it done as it is hard to see on the color, but I figured if I think about it and wait it won't be covered and what if some day later it gets worse as the paint ages.

Impressively, FCA accepted the more expensive fix from the dealer estimate and is not sanding down and repainting my bumper, but providing a completely new and painted bumper. He did put in the report we've had 9 SRTs in the family including 4 Hellcat models 😂
Holy cow! Green mixed in your blue paint from the factory. Wow. Good thing that they are going to fix it with a new bumper. When the dealer sent my 2020 Hellcat to the body shop to fix the first botched paint job, it triggered a flag on Carfax. Just keep copies of the paper trail so when you go to trade it in, you can show what happened. It was cosmetic due to the manufacturer and not a collision of some sort. I love the vehicle in Frostbite, by the way! Best of luck and thank you for your reply!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have had my 2021 SS for a week now. So far no major issues with the car. My brother and I have gone over the car several times because we have both read about quality issues. So far I am lucky with mine. All the body panels line up, the interior is good and the paint is very good. It does have some orange peel. I have two minor issues, the steering wheel is off center to the left and the rear gloss black panel where the Dodge letters are has some issues. It looks like they may have pushed through the alignment dimples. You can see some white where the gloss black has cracked. Good luck fixing your issues Texan Chic.

·
Registered
21 Go Mango Charger Hellcat Widebody
108 Posts
I have had my 2021 SS for a week now. So far no major issues with the car. My brother and I have gone over the car several times because we have both read about quality issues. So far I am lucky with mine. All the body panels line up, the interior is good and the paint is very good. It does have some orange peel. I have two minor issues, the steering wheel is off center to the left and the rear gloss black panel where the Dodge letters are has some issues. It looks like they may have pushed through the alignment dimples. You can see some white where the gloss black has cracked. Good luck fixing your issues Texan Chic.
There aren't any alignment dimples on the back black panel. Its just smooth plastic. I would delete them like I did on my last scat. And Luxe auto makes a matte black vinyl sticker thats easy to float on, that you can install. Looks good. Here's my old SCAT with it on there.

Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive parking light

·
Premium Member
2021 Redeye Super Stock
691 Posts
Kind of my same experience here. My 2020 redeye had multiple quality issues all over and in the engine bay. My 2021 Super Stock doesn’t have any of the issues it had. Also the paint, panel alignment, rubber strips and trim are far better on the 21. May be just blind luck? My 2020 redeye had knocking and engine noises, always smelled of anti freeze (never could find the leak), and threw the supercharger belt when brand new as well. I’m far more pleased with my 21 SS!

·
Registered
2021 Charger Hellcat
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There aren't any alignment dimples on the back black panel. Its just smooth plastic. I would delete them like I did on my last scat. And Luxe auto makes a matte black vinyl sticker thats easy to float on, that you can install. Looks good. Here's my old SCAT with it on there.

View attachment 580099
That's a really slick looking car. Just enough pizzazz to make it stand out. I like it!!
Kind of my same experience here. My 2020 redeye had multiple quality issues all over and in the engine bay. My 2021 Super Stock doesn’t have any of the issues it had. Also the paint, panel alignment, rubber strips and trim are far better on the 21. May be just blind luck? My 2020 redeye had knocking and engine noises, always smelled of anti freeze (never could find the leak), and threw the supercharger belt when brand new as well. I’m far more pleased with my 21 SS!
Hi Chancey,
Glad to hear that you're having better luck with your 21 SS. Maybe I just got a bad car that was rushed through production and quality control. Just curious - do you know the production date on your SS? My Hellcat was built in August 2021.

·
Premium Member
2021 Redeye Super Stock
691 Posts
That's a really slick looking car. Just enough pizzazz to make it stand out. I like it!!

Hi Chancey,
Glad to hear that you're having better luck with your 21 SS. Maybe I just got a bad car that was rushed through production and quality control. Just curious - do you know the production date on your SS? My Hellcat was built in August 2021.
06/21

·
Registered
299 Posts
Minor issues so far on the 21 over the 20... Steering wheel does not light up but one ordered. My tires came on the wrong side.
things you think QA?QC would catch leaving the plant.
Hoping the it being low on MPH is just the knock sensor and it is really not an issue. Will be a couple weeks before I can find out. If that is an issue that I can not get resolved than I will be ticked.

·
Registered
299 Posts
124 in the 1/4 .. the air was bad but not that bad.

Of course this was on a private road in Mexico ;-)

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
The manufacturing issues are global. The worst examples are, reportedly, in the electronics board industry. Chip shortages are causing chips and other board components that would otherwise be rejected, to be used. I'm sure these same type of shortages apply to interior pieces, engine components, body panels, etc. Kinda like when you go to the grocery store or lumber yard and there are only a handful of what you need. If there are ten in the bin and you need a dozen, you'll use the ten even if they aren't ideal, because you can't sort the good from bad when there aren't enough to do so. My QC group has had failures at percentages we have never experienced. This began middle to late last year (2020).

The car issues may not be 2020 vs 2021 models. They are probably more like early build 2020 vs late build 2020 and 2021. The manufacturing world (depending on industry) wasn't quite upside down yet until mid 2020 when shortages began occurring and logistics started failing to deliver due to labor and container movement shortages.

·
Registered
2021 Charger Hellcat
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The manufacturing issues are global. The worst examples are, reportedly, in the electronics board industry. Chip shortages are causing chips and other board components that would otherwise be rejected, to be used. I'm sure these same type of shortages apply to interior pieces, engine components, body panels, etc. Kinda like when you go to the grocery store or lumber yard and there are only a handful of what you need. If there are ten in the bin and you need a dozen, you'll use the ten even if they aren't ideal, because you can't sort the good from bad when there aren't enough to do so. My QC group has had failures at percentages we have never experienced. This began middle to late last year (2020).

The car issues may not be 2020 vs 2021 models. They are probably more like early build 2020 vs late build 2020 and 2021. The manufacturing world (depending on industry) wasn't quite upside down yet until mid 2020 when shortages began occurring and logistics started failing to deliver due to labor and container movement shortages.
Hi Aaron27! Thanks for the insight on what your QC group is experiencing. Makes sense. I wonder when the water is going to be safe to swim in again. Car builds from mid 2020 through 2021 (or longer) could end up in the used car guides as "bad years" with values reflected accordingly. What a world wide mess we've found ourselves in.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
566 Posts
I've had my WBRE Challenger for about 2 weeks now. My observations are that the one item I have a slight issue with may or may not get resolved. The passenger seat right side bolster is slightly wrinkled. Not bad enough for me to take it back, but noticeable enough to see.
The paint is flawless, normal panel issues with gaps, but nothing really bad.
It's been said on this forum before.
Seats are vendor items and ready to install during assembly.
Same with front and rear fascias, and side view mirrors. ( Mine all seem to match well )
Overall, I couldn't be happier with my Challenger.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The supply chain is a mess with everything. I'm still waiting on a hot tub I pd for and ordered in March! Crazy times. You can't even go into a motorcycle cycle shop a day buy a dirt bike for your kid without ordering, at least in this area.

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
10,105 Posts
Car builds from mid 2020 through 2021 (or longer) could end up in the used car guides as "bad years" with values reflected accordingly.
That won’t happen. If there are legitimate issues they get repaired. It would take a lot more than cosmetic or misaligned panels to ever get flagged as ‘bad years’. Think 1984 Corvette with the Cross Fire engine. One year only because it was so bad. Bad design in general normally gets the bad years label.

·
Registered
2021 WB HC Charger White Knuckle
71 Posts
I have a Charger WB Hellcat build in August 2021. I too may be a lucky one , all panels line up good, paint is all good, no issues found with fit and finish, but my steering wheel like yours is slightly off center to the left. What have you done about yours or what is your plans if I may ask?

·
Registered
In The Market
1,455 Posts
Mine are PRE and POST Covid builds with no problems. 12/2019 and 6/2021. Pre delivery inspection Caveat Emptor on at least some items. Dealer now. Agreed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts