SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
In The Market
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question about the NHRA rules for 9 second cars, did you have to comply with the NHRA rules for 9.99 when you broke into the 9s in order to run at that track again? If so how did you get your chassis certified and your NHRA licence, as well as the other requirements listed below?

If not was it only for test and tunes or did they allow you to compete in the track events as is, or does your track not abide by the NHRA rules.

Thanks in advance

(Please do me a favor if you don't know or don't want to share the information then don't post)

"All vehicles must have a chassis that meets the guidelines set by SFI for their respective speed and elapsed time. A valid NHRA serialized Chassis sticker is mandatory for any car running 9.99 (6.39 = 1/8 mile) or quicker, or 135mph or faster at a NHRA member track. "

NHRA RULES for 9.99 seconds (6.39 1/8th) or Super Gas or 135 mph NHRA Chassis Certification NHRA Competition License SFI jacket & pants 3.2A/5 SFI neck collar & gloves 3.3/1 SFI 29.1 flexplate / 30.1 flexplate shield (AT equipped cars) Full Face Helmet meeting Snell or SFI specifications

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
519 Posts
Tracks will often give you a pass in SOME vehicles for anything 10 seconds or faster. Most of the rules vary based on age of vehicle and number of safety features. This is why a ZL1 can run a 10 second pass without issue while a old 70's model anything has to conform to extra items to run a 10 second pass.

Anything under 9.99 however, requires you to meet NHRA rule requirements. This is why the Demon wasn't certified/banned from competitions in stock form.

·
Registered
In The Market
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ran some high 9's at a couple of track rentals. Usually at rentals, they may look the other way on borderline runs, but on test and tune nights, it's by the book.
Hmm maybe that's how people are getting around the 9.99 rules.

I know that 10.0 and above street legal cars are exempt as log as they have factory safety equipment but that doesn't apply to sub 10 second cars, hence the reason for the post.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hmm maybe that's how people are getting around the 9.99 rules.

I know that 10.0 and above street legal cars are exempt as log as they have factory safety equipment but that doesn't apply to sub 10 second cars, hence the reason for the post.
Some tracks do allow for a high 9 pass within fairly close. I can promise you though that any track worth its salt will remove you immediately for anything under 9.9...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 426
1,928 Posts
Does that apply to 1/8th mile tracks too? After conversion of course.

·
Registered
In The Market
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Am really surprised at the lack of responses to this simple question what with all the people bragging about their 9 second street cars.

Why won't you just share what had to be done, or do most just not bother with public events or competition.

I think the post above may be correct that majority of these cars are now useless for any sanctioned track/event except for private rentals.

If true then that severely limits where and what you can do with your car and imo makes it less fun. On the other hand it's good info to know where to stop if you really want to participate in racing without having to go off the deep end.

·
Super Moderator
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,236 Posts
Hi,
Many of us are racing during Test&Tune.
I also race with the MSHS race. Hemirace.com .

There are tracks that will let you get away with running high 9s.
I do not race NHRA races because you will have to have all the safety equipment for you and your car.
An unmodified modern car can race an ET of 9.99. Some tracks will let you race to the 10.0 even while modified for their own races.
Hellcats have been around long enough now that guys are having their cats built with all the safety equipment.
Cage, 5 point harness. Fire Jacket <---always should wear anyway and of course a Helmet.

Linda :)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Am really surprised at the lack of responses to this simple question what with all the people bragging about their 9 second street cars.

Why won't you just share what had to be done, or do most just not bother with public events or competition.

I think the post above may be correct that majority of these cars are now useless for any sanctioned track/event except for private rentals.

If true then that severely limits where and what you can do with your car and imo makes it less fun. On the other hand it's good info to know where to stop if you really want to participate in racing without having to go off the deep end.
Most of these guys that are saying "9 second car" probably have never made a legitimate pass. They're probably basing it off a dyno sheet or the infamous butt dyno. If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me. That being said, you can take a 8-9 second car without a cage to a track and run it. You just can't run faster than 9.99 and expect to stay on the track after the pass. In many cases, they will even ban you from the track if you do it even once. Some places will allow you to return if you have provided the correct safety hardware. There are indeed some tracks that will allow a mid 9 second car pass....but many of those tracks are generally not NHRA "sanctioned".

Those tracks also happen to be more of the questionable variety too... although they tend to have some of the better races..

·
Registered
43 Posts
I run at an NHRA track. On my second pass with a 285 pulley couple weeks ago the car ran 10:35 that 136 mph. I was told to slow down below 135 or not make any additional passes. So not only is it 9.99 it is also over 135. Track was poorly prepped and this is on a 93 tune. With good prep and a hundred octane too that I already have it will definitely go faster. This definitely takes the fun out of it. I spoke with the track manager and he said they adhere to this also on track rentals. I have no other options close by

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
54 Posts
I just made some high 9 second passes at Houston Raceway at test and tune last week, they didn't say anything, in fact they don't even have human time slip attendants anymore, you get your time slip on an app. There was no real tech, just fill out the app and sign the waiver upon paying your entry fee. There were a dozen + other late model mustangs, camaros, and hellcats running 9's with nothing other than drag radials and a helmet.
At the recent Tx2k event, most of the 'heavy weight" class that incudes a lot of hellcats, a bunch of cars ran deep 9's without cages or any other visible safety equipment.
As Linda stated, the process is very track and event sanctioning body specific. If you like running your car at the track it may be wise to check your local track's tolerance for late model 9 second cars before investing in the required parts and tuning. If your track is strict just get good radials and maybe a drive shaft depending on year/model Hellcat and enjoy your 10 second passes. In the long run that may be the best bet, its a little nerve wracking to run a 4795 lb (my race weight) car at 140mph+ trap speeds. I worry about the car in regards to long term durability - it takes a lot of power to move this much weight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts