SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wondering if one of you mechanic type guys or girls can explain how my srt 392 hemie can run on 4 cylinders when you are just crusing along.dose the fuel just shut off on 4 cylinders?and dosnt that present the engine with potential problems?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
164 Posts
On a side note, I had a GM ls4 the did the same thing, After a few years of it, It caused lots of problems, I would have it tuned out...Just my thought
If you don't mind me asking... What kind of problems did it cause?

·
Premium Member
12,594 Posts
sometimes I find myself very depressed but the srt can be my training wheels till I can trade for the cat
I might be there with you Perry. Either way we are getting some sexy machines! One is just a tad faster than the other...o_O

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,351 Posts
Intake and exhaust valves close ( valves deactivated ) and fuel in those 4 are turned off.

Air in cylinders simply compresses and expands. Still has some heat loss and friction but still saves fuel.
And exactly how do the intake and exhaust valves stay closed. Do the camshaft lobes go flat during thus process? Or is it magic

·
Comfortably Numb
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,254 Posts
And exactly how do the intake and exhaust valves stay closed. Do the camshaft lobes go flat during thus process? Or is it magic
The first-generation Hemi could transition from eight cylinders to four in 0.04 seconds by keeping the valves in four cylinders closed. While some energy is lost through compression, none is lost by pumping air through them. The system raised fuel economy by around 10% overall. Because (as with the slant six) oil comes through the pushrods, the engine was still fully lubricated. there is a ton of info here of the history of the new hemi's : The modern 5.7 Mopar Hemi V8 engine obviously its not totally up to date

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.